Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I finally got a ride on my Mattoc, holy shit it's sooooooo much better than that fucking Talus 32. So much smoother and more stable in chunder, and soaks up square edged hits way better, without bottoming out. I left it at 160mm and overall like the geometry change - better going down big drops and rollovers, slight body position adjustment and it's just fine going up (maybe a touch easier to manual the front tire up over shit, but have to more actively stay forward on steep stuff), slight loss in mid-corner traction due to the higher BB. Me likely. As long as the durability proves solid, this was a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I finally got a ride on my Mattoc, holy shit it's sooooooo much better than that fucking Talus 32.
    That's not saying much, but yeah. Those 32s were THE SUCK in those longer travel sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's not saying much, but yeah. Those 32s were THE SUCK in those longer travel sizes.
    I don't know what compelled Giant to spec a 32mm fork on a 6" bike but somebody needs to be slapped.

I don't know what compelled Giant to spec a 32mm fork on a 6" bike but somebody needs to be slapped.
    Same dillholes that spec'd a straight head tube in 2010. They should have been fired over that one, too.

Although - to be fair, the (32) Rev I've had on it for several years is MUCHO stiffer and an all-around better performer.

To be fair, Pikes and 34s didn't exist in 2009.

The day after I installed mine I came down with a nasty sinus infection that kicked my ass for almost two weeks. I still managed to get in two decent if short test rides (Quarry Trail in LCC). The first ride was at the recommended air pressure for my weight (75 psi) and it was definitely too firm. For the second ride I took out 10 psi and it was much better, though that may have been a little too much. Need some more time to see if more air or 1-2 clicks on the LSC will be the way to go.

On steep rocky climbs it felt more wandery and harder to hold a line. I'm mostly withholding judgement on climbing performance until I ride it when I don't feel like crap. It's hard to say how much was real, how much was expectation, and how much was just feeling weak and shitty from sickness and lack of sleep. Most likely I will end up dropping it to 150, though. So, still dialing it in but my overall impression is the same as yours. Huge improvement over the 32.

I did locate the service manual, and was not happy to find out that adjusting the travel or doing basically any service work on this thing requires a special tool kit that costs $60: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...||prd|467744US. Sixty fucking dollars for two sockets and a modded cassette tool, WTF? If you know of or find a cheaper option for the service tools let me know.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-24-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I did locate the service manual, and was not happy to find out that adjusting the travel or doing basically any service work on this thing requires a special tool kit that costs $60: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...||prd|467744US. Sixty fucking dollars for two sockets and a modded cassette tool, WTF? If you know of or find a cheaper option for the service tools let me know.
    I think I saw some people on mtbr had figured a way around that. I'll do some looking

If anyone has a straight head tube with a 44mm lower, i have a CC lower headset cup that will allow you to run a tapered steerer fork.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    To be fair, Pikes and 34s didn't exist in 2009.
    True - but the Reign *really* should have been spec'd with a Fox 36 or a Lyrik.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    If anyone has a straight head tube with a 44mm lower, i have a CC lower headset cup that will allow you to run a tapered steerer fork.
    Uh, how about I get that too when I pick up the shock? Will be useful on the GF's bike.

Uh, how about I get that too when I pick up the shock? Will be useful on the GF's bike.
    Sure thing! Just confirm her bike's head tube has a 44mm lower bore or it'll be a paperweight, like it is now for me.