Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on a new surfboard for a jong

Im pretty new to the sport but I can stand up 90% of the time and go straight no problem on the stupid foam boards I've been using. I want a nice board I can progress pretty far with, and not get bored of any time soon. I'm a relatively fast learner and don't mind a sharper learning curve by bypassing buying a dedicated beginner board and just getting something more in the intermediate range of things-- I'm already hooked and am not going to just quit if things are difficult for a few months.

I am 5'7" and 170lbs, and I will be surfing in New England (RI, and MA mostly) almost exclusively for the next few years. I know nothing about what brands are good but my buddy recommended I get a fish board. I'm looking to buy new and not used and my price range is under $1000 if possible but I can extend a little if need be-- any suggestions?

Also, any good recommendations for a winter wetsuit/booties/gloves for these rough NE winters? I'm hoping to surf all through the winter and want to make sure I am warm enough.

Flame away.
    Last edited by couloirman; 12-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.

A typical fish will have a lot less floatation and stability than a foamy. But it depends what size board you have been on. If it is a typical 8'6" range board, I'd suggest buying a used egg shape to start. It does not need to be a beginner board, and many eggs can be quite fun. Sticking to your $1000 price tag, you could probably find a used board for under $300 and save $700 for a new fish later. Of for good rubber.

I'd look for something between 7' and 7'6" and about 21-22" wide with the wide point a bit forward of center. 2 3/4 - 3 1/4" thick. Preferable a thin, tight tail. Rounded pin. The thing about N.E. is that good waves are far an few between. You want to get as much time on the board as possible. So with something a bit bigger, it will be more versatile. So you can surf several times a week instead of several times a month. Even for people who have been surfing all their lives, trying to surf a board with too little floatation for the conditions is very frustrating.

Also, starting with a new board will give you the needed respect for the fragility of fiberglass. You won't mind banging up an old beater as much as putting the first ding into a new board.

Brands really don't make much of difference for a beginner IMO. I am not really into the board model thing, but a few guys on here are. They can speak to brands and models.

Rubber: Ideally hooded 5/4/3. I think a bit more of that is advised north of the cape. Welded and/or taped seams. My buddies in Maine like the Excel suits that have. Plan to spend money. 5mm booties and as much rubber on your hands that you can deal with. Lobsta' claw gloves are warmest, but I find them kind of a pain to surf with. For the shoulder season try these. They are great for 50F water and slightly cooler air temps. Super dexterous and they actually grip wet fiberglass better than my hands. As opposed to most cloves which slide right off. They are almost like driving gloves in feel.

Oh, and the egg will continue to be fun as you improve. On the small days when you still find the fish to be not enough, you go out on the egg and rip a few waves.

Great surfing in RI, I get down to Narraganssett, point Judith a few times a summer. I' m sure he'sa really nice guy but...Your friend is a moron for suggesting a fish, maybe a big retro fish but still... Start with a shorter longboard shape (7'2 7'10) a mini-magic or some other easy 'funshape.'

It's a slooow learning curve so just get the board that suits your experience level and get as much 'stand up' time as possible. If you get a small squirrelly board it's going to stunt your progression.

Tons of good deals on whiskey militia for suits. you need a lot of neoprene for the winter and shoulder seasons, but water is nice down there during summer you can get away with nothing or a shorty

edit: ^^^^beat me to it. all Ottimes advise is spot on and more thorough then my post. ....crack. it's a hell of a drug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Assuming your not a kid, but later 20's or 30's, just go longer in the beginning to speed up the learning curve. Walden makes a board called the "Magic Model" that is usually in the 9' range. You can find it anywhere. Just buy one and after you have really improved in a year or two, you can look at sexier shorter boards. Trust me.

Rubber, listen to OT and look here: http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/?SR=...FQhbhwodvSlwSg
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Wise has a 5/4 Mutant with the hood for $279 right now. If they won't ship it, I will.

Edit:+ however on the Walden Magic. Enough performance that you can keep it in the quiver forever.
    Last edited by BS720; 12-14-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

If it wern't for pure gluttony and the resulting boredom of being able to surf everything in New England on 1 board..
    The only one I would own is my 6-foot, twin-keel Kane Garden Fish.

With that said, I own 5 boards total.
    Mostly because I hate my fish so much that it does anything I want, and I have to ignore it as much as possible.

It's like the fat girl in college that was pro, and you couldn't leave alone. Um......
    Skiing made me Board

all great advice above. i would def recommend the walden magic model slx epoxy 8'0". rode one on the vinyard this september and it was great. plenty of float for easy wave catching, but enough rocker in the right places and tight enough tail to handle solid waves. my buddy rides his well in barely knee to overhead with no issues. the epoxy is nice and durable.

my excel 5/4/3 with oneill heat 7mm boots and 5mm mitts get me through the harshest of nh winter weather. nice to see you getting into the sport coolieman!

waves in the am. getting on it early!

rogblog

Thanks guys. I can get a super cheap 7'2" walden magic SLX so I might go a little shorter and just deal with it. It's the same shape board so it's not the worst idea in the world right?

Has anyone ridden The Plank by Lost? I know its too short for me right now at 6'2", but everyone Ive talked to says its easy as hell to ride and super floaty since it is so thick as well which is perfect for the tiny waves of the east coast.

I'm heading to the surf shop in narraganset to pick up some nice winter rubber this weekend. Without snow I need some sort of activity to go fast. Learning to surf in the winter probably isnt the norm but whatever, I dig the cold. Maybe Ill see you out there Rog and you can give me some tips

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post

I am 5'7" and 170lbs

Dude, I am not trying to be a douche here, (unfortunatly that’s just how I am) but you need to bring that weight down to be as efficient as possible in the water. When I moved to CA from VT in 05 I was same exact weight, maybe even a couple lbs heavier, and I always had trouble popping up fast enough to trim and get down the line, no matter what size board I had. I sit here today at 5’7” 155lbs and this weight reduction along with core training has paved the way for many new board options that I would not have considered before, not to mention the increase in performance and overall stamina.

So bottom line-
    cut out the snacking, control your fucking munchies, and RUN Forrest RUN.

Aloha

Dude, here is some shots from your area in October, it goes off in RI!

Eastons beach
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Dude, I am not trying to be a douche here, (unfortunatly that’s just how I am) but you need to bring that weight down to be as efficient as possible in the water.
    So bottom line-
    cut out the snacking, control your fucking munchies, and RUN Forrest RUN.
    No offense taken, and I'm not trying to brag here but I dabble in bodybuilding and am relatively ripped with a halfway decent 6 pack-- that isn't a spare tire I'm carrying around. After I broke my back 2 summers ago I've been doing hard core ab workouts to take the strain off my lower back so my core is good to go. I know I'd be more efficient and floaty at a lighter weight but I love lifting weights and can't see myself stopping any time soon. I can maybe make it down to 165 but that's as low as I can go while keeping up my strength to the level I want it to be at.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    No offense taken, and I'm not trying to brag here but I dabble in bodybuilding and am relatively ripped with a halfway decent 6 pack. That isn't a spare tire I'm carrying around, it's solid muscle and my core is strong as an ox. I know I'd be more efficient and floaty at a lighter weight but I love muscles and will be keeping mine. I can maybe make it down to 165 but that's as low as I can go while keeping up my strength to the level I want it to be at.
    Right on man, so with that said you will probably want a board no shorter than 6’2” for now, and I would make sure that the width was at least 2 3/4”. Just throwing it out there, but have you considered a long-board? At first I was so intent on short boarding and shredding that I never considered riding a big ole log but once I dedicated some time to riding a longer board (9’ or bigger) I saw immediate results on my short board. All the moves and techniques are the same but the long-board forces you to exaggerate everything so when you translate your long-board disciplines to your short board the progression should be dramatically increased.

Plus, your area isn’t know for the most consistent surf so a longer board may be the way to go for you. Really what you need to do is get off the wrong coast and join us kooks out here, HA-ha.

“Go ahead, go shred”
    Chandler-North Shore the movie
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Realistically Im going to end up with multiple boards anyways (much like skis) so I'm down to buy a walden magic and ride that for a bit this winter if thats the general consensus. I honestly just dont like the idea of a longboard as much, it just seems so clunky, kind of like driving a bus-- but I will put in my time if that's what needs to be done.

Ill definitely be taking a trip out west this summer if I'm good enough by then. Ill be surfing 3 times a week before school virtually all winter so I hope to have some decent chops come summertime, but I'm kind of old (28) and gimpy so we will see what happens...

Couloirman, I would follow the advice posted at the top of the thread and get something between 7-8' to learn on. The learning curve in surfing is tremendous. Think about how long you actually stand up and surf, maybe a few seconds each ride at most. You might catch 5 waves per session when you start out learning, so maybe you're surfing for 30 seconds total during a 3 hour session.

Most of your surf time will be paddling or trying to get into position and taking a few on the head. If you do go shorter, then get more volume in the width/thickness. Width/thickness help with paddle power and stability (less back and forth rocking from rail to rail while you're paddling). The extra volume also helps you while surfing so you won't dig a rail while popping up or when you lose speed in the flats.
    Last edited by Piggity; 12-20-2011 at 04:42 PM.

hey coolieman,

haven't surfed rhody in close to 20 years but used to when living on the cape. good times down there fer sure. i'll ping ya if i make it down. stop by nh seacoast anytime for a surf or whatever.

i have spent time on a lost plank btw. love lost boards, all i ride. the plank is fun and all, but you'd be better off going longer for now.

spent 2 hours on my 5'9" rocket this morning in kinda shitty conditions, but some size was there on th drops and inside waves were sucking out quite nicely.

the rocket is my ONLY board for all things waves new england. the thing is unbelievable for my 6' 165lb frame. much simpler having a one board/ski/bike quiver. adaptation is a beautiful thing.

rog

Hugh Conway Guest
    Dude, I am not trying to be a douche here, (unfortunatly that’s just how I am) but you need to bring that weight down to be as efficient as possible in the water. When I moved to CA from VT in 05 I was same exact weight, maybe even a couple lbs heavier, and I always had trouble popping up fast enough to trim and get down the line, no matter what size board I had. I sit here today at 5’7” 155lbs and this weight reduction along with core training has paved the way for many new board options that I would not have considered before, not to mention the increase in performance and overall stamina.
    Being a douche here - buy a board that works for you and your weight. Don't listen to dumbasses like the above

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Being a douche here - buy a board that works for you and your weight. Don't listen to dumbasses like the above
    Being a fucking typical TGR gaper douche huh, that’s cool, that’s the reason I joined this shithole (magical insight). If I am not mistaken the OP asked for advice about which board to surf based on skill level and physical dimensions, so I gave him my .02, you on the other hand went a different way.

Being a fucking typical TGR gaper douche huh, that’s cool, that’s the reason I joined this shithole (magical insight).
    If you don't like it here, then leave. Don't come into someone else's home and dis on the decor. Just plain rude.

And really? Phat dudes can't surf. Head out to the islands and start talking. Your 155# mouth will get broke. How can you determine someone's physical fitness via the web? Seriously. There are plenty of folks who are 170# and 5'7" that are just built that way. So they should shed some pounds because you did, and you liked it. Talk like that creates eating disorders. Your lady friends must love you.

And the OP asked for board advice and you told him to lose weight. You should start a weight losers club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    If you don't like it here, then leave. Don't come into someone else's home and dis on the decor. Just plain rude.

And really? Phat dudes can't surf. Head out to the islands and start talking. Your 155# mouth will get broke. How can you determine someone's physical fitness via the web? Seriously. There are plenty of folks who are 170# and 5'7" that are just built that way. So they should shed some pounds because you did, and you liked it. Talk like that creates eating disorders. Your lady friends must love you.

And the OP asked for board advice and you told him to lose weight. You should start a weight losers club.
    Again, just my .02, you don’t like it or what I am about, go fuck yourself. I love the decor around here...

I have room for you above my hearth. Above your head? "Here I sit today at 5'7", 155lbs". I'll throw the comma in there to make you sound smart.

For what its worth I bought a long board this summer because I only surf 5-10 days a year for the last 5 years since spending a summer in Hawaii living on the beach and surfing every day.

9'2". Haven't had that much fun surfing since hawaii. Had the longest rides of my life, some longboard floaters, way less beatings, and so much more time surfing waves instead of paddling and short rides. It is a log though and sharp turns are unheard of. Makes me want to try hard to up my surf days to 10-20 next year.

Don't be scared of the longboard. They are fun as hell. I learned on a 7'2" egg with a pin tail so it could handle heavy waves. Super fun board that is now water logged death. My buddies 6'4" fish paddles a million times better than that board now. Anyways thinking back on it a long board probably would have been a quicker learning tool. Stays in the quiver forever.

I guess my point is I see the longboard doing everything the egg is meant to do but better. Then get something shorter. The egg is ok at everything but not great at anything. Longboard for the small days and shorter board for the funner days. Seems more future proof to me as far as quiver planning. My 2 cents. But I'm a kook so don't listen to me. Regardless surfing is rad and a 7'2" or and 8'2" or a 9'2" you will be hooked. Sounds like you already are.

One of my favorite boards is my Rick 9'2". Old school hulled out 30# log. Hard (and fun) as hell to ride. So I agree with the whole long board thing. But they don't do everything better than an egg. Namely: turn.

I don't have a fish. Never really found one I loved. Much prefer my pain in the ass to paddle chips. Hell, I'm old, and like that shape. Not saying there is not a fish in my future, but still looking for one that grips and rips, and lets me down the face.

That said, the 7'6" squared tail egg is a whole lot of fun when the waves are just a bit too junky for the short boards, and a bit more crunch than what is feasible on the Rick.

Some will learn better on a long board, and some on a fun board. Athleticism and wave quality will play into that. Also, boards like the Rick would be very hard to learn on. I can imagine a quiver w/o a fun sized board, but everyone should at some point spend quality time on a log.

OP: A longboard rides much more like a mid 70s Cadillac than a bus.

And who let the potty mouthed chest thumping middle schooler in the door?

I don't have a fish. Never really found one I loved. Much prefer my pain in the ass to paddle chips. Hell, I'm old, and like that shape. Not saying there is not a fish in my future, but still looking for one that grips and rips, and lets me down the face...
    Have you tried a retro fish in a quad?

...but everyone should at some point spend quality time on a log.
    Nothing quite like toes on the nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    there's a place (point breaks) and a time (girls in bikinis) for longboarding like that. Otherwise a "performance" board might offer more fun.

I think I get where BS720 is heading with the fish rec, mine was fun. It's a huge category of boards these days and some of them are just eggs with a tail that makes them trendy.

The "what board" question is hard to answer. What's surfing? If you are reasonably new, not <12 years old, and have a job/life/commitments other than surfing you'll never be great or anything better than mediocre. So what's fun? Longboards, eggs, fish, chips, a shit ton of choices, non really wrong, just wrong for you.

Here's a question for ya. Once you know how to catch waves on the inside, what is the best board for progressing in heavier beach break. In other words, what is the biggest board that a 6'0" 160lbs mortal can duck dive? Turning turtle is a pain in the ass. Are eggs and fun boards the way to go? Does a Walden Magic fit the description?

OP, have fun in the 'Gansett Juice. That is my old stomping grounds. Say Hi to Peter Pan.