Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I am astounded that no one has mentioned Whistler/Blackcomb.
    pretty much rated number one every year by various publications, but really for skiing that only app lies if you live there and can ski any day. If you are a tourist there for your prebooked one week vacation, you are as likely to be rained on as enjoy new snow. It can snow 600cm one month then 50 the next. and if it does snow a ton overnight, the hill is swarmed by the locals and is pretty much tracked out in the first hour of any lift opening. the hordes from Vancouver make lift lines on the weekend horrendous. The total lack of visibility and shutdown of alpine lifts when it is snowing and blowing just aggravate the situation. I have had some of the most amazing days ever on that hill, but they are becoming fewer and farther between. Pretty much need to tour out of bounds, or head off on the sled somewhere now.

Overrated ski areas

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    pretty much rated number one every year by various publications, but really for skiing that only app lies if you live there and can ski any day. If you are a tourist there for your prebooked one week vacation, you are as likely to be rained on as enjoy new snow. It can snow 600cm one month then 50 the next. and if it does snow a ton overnight, the hill is swarmed by the locals and is pretty much tracked out in the first hour of any lift opening. the hordes from Vancouver make lift lines on the weekend horrendous. The total lack of visibility and shutdown of alpine lifts when it is snowing and blowing just aggravate the situation. I have had some of the most amazing days ever on that hill, but they are becoming fewer and farther between. Pretty much need to tour out of bounds, or head off on the sled somewhere now.
    Same here. But never had an amazing day there. Ok days, yes. After a handful of prebooked vacays there- never again. More shit days than ok. I understand if I were localized would probably feel differently. For now I’m exploring new BC CA spots. And like one better already.

^^^Kind of like me at Snowbasin
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

"The weather is likely to be terrible at Whistler" is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A ski area?
    if that wasn't sarcastic - a place with a group of interlocking lifts with a range of difficulty ski terrain & runs. the imo best I've skiied was Verbier.

chamonix is a couple really awesome lifts. las lenas is one awesome lift.

W/B may be overpopular not overrated.

Anyone taking this thread seriously is overrated. Morons.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    if that wasn't sarcastic
    A number of ski areas close and not very close to a reasonably large town.

But yes as ski areas not the hughest without getting all harnessy.

Overrated? Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Same here, the ridge being crowed is a pretty funny thing, I guess definitions of what over-crowded mean tend to vary.
    I always felt like the ridge got less crowded after schlasmans got put in, except of course jobs, z chute etc.

If you think the ridge is crowded go ski four pines or rock springs at JHole

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Fully agree with this. For casual/family skiers with money it’s fine, but no idea why anyone who is a serious skier bothers with WB if they have to pre-book/fly in. Way too much of a gamble.

I worked a couple of races in Whis and spent about 6 weeks there, by the time they were over I couldn't wait to leave
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CazMan26 View Post
    In NYS -
    Greek Peak

I was’nt impressed with Killington.

^Don't make me snap, bro...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    You are a silly little troll

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    ^Don't make me snap, bro...
    I never said bro. Get it right.
    Go on now
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi deepsouthmafia! Killington, Vermont has the longest "ski season" east of Denver and is the home of the gnarliest snowriding in North America! The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere (can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") the snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is right out of a "Norman Rockwell" print.! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! There is lift-serviced mountain biking in the summer and the autumn colors are unmacthed anywhere on the planet. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite all you to "start fresh" at our friendly forums. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual cloud storage for your photos, videos etc. If you are weary of all the foolishness and yearn for some intellectually stimulating mountain sport discourse, then come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    AZPPS
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You got a remember to check your records before you post, Greg. Deepsouthmafia has been a card-carrying, dues paying member of your fine organization for quite some time now.

https://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...Deepsouthmafia
    Last edited by m2711c; 11-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    Hi deepsouthmafia! Killington, Vermont has the longest "ski season" east of Denver and is the home of the gnarliest snowriding in North America! The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere (can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") the snow and weather are underrated, and the setting is right out of a "Norman Rockwell" print.! If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you! There is lift-serviced mountain biking in the summer and the autumn colors are unmacthed anywhere on the planet. I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite all you to "start fresh" at our friendly forums. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual cloud storage for your photos, videos, blogs etc. If you are weary of all the foolishness and yearn for some intellectually stimulating mountain sport discourse, then come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados who know the benefits of what good moderation brings to an on-line community. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’d add Mt Bachelor to the list too. I mean, it’s fun and I usually ski free due to having family work PT there, but really only the summit chair has good terrain the rest is too runout to do anything with. The summit rarely opens and immediately gets tracked out by gapers traversing and snowboarders skidding down sideways.
    never made it to NWX? and next time hike to the summit, very few gapers there

for Oregon areas, Skibowl is way overrated

Why am I seeing the AlpineZone post after it's been quoted? Some kind of gremlins in the system today?

Danno can see the future and he wasted his time on greg’s post instead of getting tomorrow’s lottery numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    If you want to huck stuff or get on really steep things, definitely over rated. If you like tree skiing it's pretty damn awesome imo.

Also anyone adding Northstar...doesn't it have to be praised in the first place?

Squaw a couple days after a storm. Because their lift planning is so "efficient" and requires almost no traversing having those pockets and zones that still hold the goods are almost non existent. But the terrain is still amazing.
    Squaw on a powder day. Because their lift planning is so effecient and requires almost no traversing that it gets tracked out ten minutes after first chair unloads.

I much prefer skiing Squaw a day or two or three after the powder day, especially if it is mid winter and cold. No lines, shot ton of terrain. Sure, things bump up in spots. Big. But others stay plenty smooth.

your computer
    I know kids under ten that have more days in already for the 19-20 ski season than the average tgr poser

a ski area is only overrated when your blogging about it on your phone
    never been to a crappy ski area

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Squaw on a powder day. Because their lift planning is so effecient and requires almost no traversing that it gets tracked out ten minutes after first chair unloads.

I much prefer skiing Squaw a day or two or three after the powder day, especially if it is mid winter and cold. No lines, shot ton of terrain. Sure, things bump up in spots. Big. But others stay plenty smooth.
    Oh, as for serious skiers and W/B, what the fuck is a serious skier? DH racer? I ski for fun. Always. It is never serious. And as a skier who likes fun, I visited W/B twice in my life, had fun and never had a hard time finding good snow somewhere on those two mountains. Maybe you serious skiers are just doing it wrong. Trying having fun instead. It is, well, fun.