Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2017/2018 Van Isle

Snow is sticking, will likely melt, but will hopefully come back. Likely none of you will follow/care, but perhaps the island will bring the stoke this season.

This little gem was posted earlier by Cain

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I'm a B.C. coastie...I care. Awesome to see Oct skiing on the island; our neck of the woods around Terrace/Rupert got a heavy hit of early season snowpack annihilation with that huge pineapple express that hosed 250mm of rain to mountain top in like 72 hours...early season skiing dreams washed away into the mighty Skeena River. Hope the majority of the meltdown got deflected north of you guys and that yer snowpack endured the onslaught of pineapples.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-01-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I just moved to the Cowichan valley from Golden, so I'm pumped this thread exists. I'm really itching to go skiing

Subscribing. Hiked Mt Washington and across the road into Strathcona... hope to make it back to ski one day.

Last edited by shafty85; 11-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Some useful weather links:

No idea how to embed these or if they keep updated... hopefully they work out.
    Great links!

Snowing in North Nanaimo

Looks like the hump and Comox Valley are getting it.

Name:  748.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  17.5 KB
    Name:  102.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  28.9 KB

Washington

Name:  big2.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  69.3 KB

Sutton Pass is wet but not white - yet.

Name:  207.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  20.2 KB

I'm seriously tempted to go on a ski mission this weekend.

Went sailing today in maple bay and it was on point. I thought the snow might stick to the roads, but they were just wet. Pretty cool to see the trees changing with the snow.

Sent from my SM-G920T using TGR Forums mobile app

Nice - it was gorgeous out this weekend, eh? Was on the mainland for a family birthday but might try to get out this weekend if it doesn’t warm and rain too badly this week.

Mind blown. Nuclear dump at mount washington. I've been checking into the live feed for the last 24 hours. MASSIVE accumulation. For the locals, any guesses how much snowpack depth right now based on the pic/video? No report on the mt. washington website.

live feed:

https://www.mountwashington.ca/tube-cam
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Mind blown. Nuclear dump at mount washington. I've been checking into the live feed for the last 24 hours. MASSIVE accumulation. For the locals, any guesses how much snowpack depth right now based on the pic/video? No report on the mt. washington website.

live feed:

https://www.mountwashington.ca/tube-cam
    Holy shit!!! check out the other cams. Wow.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I’ve heard well over a metre

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Stoke is stoke, so let's hope you have a great year up there, and post a lot of epic adventures.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Just ordered new Hoji's!

Need to mount them up, give the sled a little tune, and then here's hoping for a great season on the island!

Gimme!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3230201.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	217446

Oh man that pic looks money!
    Anyone have any current beta?

Forecast looking good. Partial opening at Washington this weekend.
    Being grown-up sucks!

I’ll be at Cain this weekend for training. Gf and some friends will be touring around there. Snow on Benson (1000m) yesterday, with more cold precip this week and fading to sun this weekend? Sign me up!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2017/2018 Van Isle

Cain was gorgeous this weekend. Christmas party Friday night meant a 4am start Saturday.

Beautiful light from the full moon Saturday night. A bunch of people toured in its light but I couldn’t keep my eyelids awake after a fantastic potluck and a beer. 4am pee time brought these fantastic views. No headlamp needed.

Up early Sunday to get a tour in before training. Beautiful light and light snow made for a fantastic dawn patrol. Seems to me, nature is its own best filter.

That looks like an awesome time! Thinking about trying to get out for a ski with the dog this weekend

Sent from my LG-D852 using TGR Forums mobile app

Been warm up top...

Washington saying 1m base @ 1100m.

Anyone know how high up cokely one can drive at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Cain was gorgeous this weekend. Christmas party Friday night meant a 4am start Saturday.

Beautiful light from the full moon Saturday night. A bunch of people toured in its light but I couldn’t keep my eyelids awake after a fantastic potluck and a beer. 4am pee time brought these fantastic views. No headlamp needed.

Up early Sunday to get a tour in before training. Beautiful light and light snow made for a fantastic dawn patrol. Seems to me, nature is its own best filter.

Sweet pics.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    Anyone know how high up cokely one can drive at the moment?
    Up to the saddle route easily, then with decent tires and 4x4 up to the Rousseau trailhead, bud.

Mixed bag this weekend. Biking Saturday was beautiful. Got up to Cumberland and spent the morning proving how out of shape I am.

The forecasted snow didn’t materialize on the South Island and skiing Sunday was wet and felt like spring. +6 at the trailhead. Still had a great day in the fog. The beer and pizza after were especially enjoyed.

What's the word on Mt Cain right now? I'm in Comox from Nelson for a few days visiting family and wouldn't mind heading up there if it's worth the drive right now.

Edit: Looks like the question I should be asking is will Cain open in the next few days?

Edit 2: Looks like their website has answered all my questions.
    Last edited by flatland; 12-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.