Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My boy started spring when he was 2.5, learned how to shuffle around but mostly wanted to play in the snow.

My younger one (girl) was 20 months when she started at Thanksgiving and took to it amazingly quick. She was completely enamored with sliding on snow and would throw tantrums when it was time to leave the hill. By the time March rolled around and she turned 2, she had 20-25 days on snow and we were through with racer chasers, wedgie guides, or skiing while holding onto my ski pole, and she could follow me making turns across the hill. Still kind of blows me away when I think about it, we went to Whistler that May after she turned 2 and she was able to follow me with control down The Saddle off of the Peak Chair.

Skiing with really little kids is rewarding but hard work- it really takes 2 adults/1 kid when they are 3 and under because they really need someone to lead them and other adult to trail behind in case they blow up. Without the leader they just don't have the attention focus and tend to go straight until they fall or run into something. Timing wise-1-2 hours tops, lifesavers/skittles are great rewards, and stop whenever they decide they've had enough. I was fortunate to have both my parents who were instructors 25+ years close by and eager to ski with the grand kids... so that helps too. Best to pick 2 hour blocks when it's not busy, first thing in the am or late afternoon was best. Nights were a blast too.

Mine are now 19 and 16 and still have the passion for it, 100+ days each year in their teens.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    My younger one (girl) was 20 months when she started at Thanksgiving and took to it amazingly quick. She was completely enamored with sliding on snow and would throw tantrums when it was time to leave the hill. .
    The apple falls not far from the tree, eh?

Everyone's different. Both mine started at 2+ and yeah, it was more like 20 minutes of farting around in the snow, a little wobbly skiing and then chocolate and nap time. By 4 they were skiing with us, but hung on tight.

As the sagacious mofro says, when they're really little, there needs to be a clean up crew and a lead crew.

My son was 5 when my daughter was 3 when we'd really ski around like that mostly groimer blues. I blew out my knee holding my 3 year old between my legs for all of Galloping Goose.

One thing as a parent I look back on is how really little I influenced my kids, they totally have a vibe and way of things that was their own from day 1. But they're all different and just tune into wherever they are.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    One thing as a parent I look back on is how really little I influenced my kids, they totally have a vibe and way of things that was their own from day 1. But they're all different and just tune into wherever they are.
    Yep. I'm always heartened to hear this from people who don't have stepkids since I have a tendency to blame it on genetics. Randomness and genetics both at work though for sure ie if you have kids with your genes they are more likely to have some of your traits.

On a related note I taught both my stepson (15) and my daughter (7) to ski. My stepson skis nothing like me. He is like an alien form but he rips the mountain his way just fine. Daughter skis exactly like me to the point that people comment on it, which I find pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The apple falls not far from the tree, eh?
    Truth- i learned to ski at Woodland Park in Seattle when I was 20 months, on skis that my dad made in his shop. Not that I remember, but 71/72 was supposedly a helluva season.

Back in the day Squaw had a free rope tow for kids and a kids lift ticket--under 6 I think--was $5. Made it a lot easier to get them skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Back in the day Squaw had a free rope tow for kids and a kids lift ticket--under 6 I think--was $5. Made it a lot easier to get them skiing.
    My hill is $5 till they're 10. Passes are $45.

Chestnut 6 and under ski free. Sage is seven this year so we had to buy a pass but she skied free for 5 full seasons. Still skiing free out west on the kick ass mountain collective deal.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

last season for free pass for the kid at timberline (6).. he made it up 6, 6, 6, 9 times in previous seasons so we're shooting for 20 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    I am curious ISBD what magic tricks you performed to get yours to ski independently at age 2.5. Seems like a one in a million case.
    Huh? There was nothing even slightly independent about his skiing. I must have been unclear. Here is the process:

-Carry kid to beginning of magic carpet.
    -Kid clomps onto magic carpet.
    -During the clomping I stop him from falling over with a couple subtle shoves he doesn't really notice.
    -During the ride up he get's pissed off if I touch him because, "I want to do it by myself!"
    -Just before the end of the magic carpet, I pick him up so he doesn't fall flat on his face. No complaint here.
    -He starts clomping over toward the gentlest bit of slope, but he's getting tired and his legs look about as stable as a newborn giraffe's, so I pick him up again and carry him over to our start zone.
    -It take a little while to get him to focus and get into a skiing stance, while I crouch facing him, my hands holding his ski tips to stop him sliding forward.
    -When he's finally ready, I let go of his ski tips and starting running backward (in a crouch while wearing touring boots, always within reach of the boy).
    -When one of his ski tips wanders too far to the left or right, I reach out and tap it back to center with my gloved hand.
    -He's usually laughing during this phase, while I'm huffing and puffing because running backward in a crouch in ski boots is hard.
    -But it's worth it, because at the end of the run when I pick him up to stop him careening into some poor first time skier, he says, "Again! Again!"
    -And then we do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Huh? There was nothing even slightly independent about his skiing. I must have been unclear. Here is the process:

-During the clomping I stop him from falling over with a couple subtle shoves he doesn't really notice.
    -During the ride up he get's pissed off if I touch him because, "I want to do it by myself!"
    -Just before the end of the magic carpet, I pick him up so he doesn't fall flat on his face. No complaint here.
    -He starts clomping over toward the gentlest bit of slope, but he's getting tired and his legs look about as stable as a newborn giraffe's, so I pick him up again and carry him over to our start zone.
    -It take a little while to get him to focus and get into a skiing stance, while I crouch facing him, my hands holding his ski tips to stop him sliding forward.
    -When he's finally ready, I let go of his ski tips and starting running backward (in a crouch while wearing touring boots, always within reach of the boy).
    -When one of his ski tips wanders too far to the left or right, I reach out and tap it back to center with my gloved hand.
    -He's usually laughing during this phase, while I'm huffing and puffing because running backward in a crouch in ski boots is hard.
    -But it's worth it, because at the end of the run when I pick him up to stop him careening into some poor first time skier, he says, "Again! Again!"
    That's not far from my expectations. By independent, I meant he moves without parent's hands under armpits. That's where I am nervous. But I haven't tried it with real boots yet. I'll report back in a month or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

I see. Deep squat, hands of knees. He gets so low there is nothing to tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

My kid worked 2 ski jobs--teaching 4-5 year olds at Sugar Bowl and pro patrol at Squaw. He says teaching was by far the physically demanding--picking the kids up sideways was hard on his back.

my daughter at 4
    Name:  12718036_10209351193356054_2722598460586147365_n.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  46.6 KB
    my son at 6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traynors.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	215389
    same son at 9

Name:	camper_Backflip_Jump2-2_Pipeline_Proulx.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	215388

Name:	hunterkristis.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	215390

Both my kids started at 2.5. Skiing is part or our family activities. We ski a lot, the kids love it, we have a wonderful community of skiers. One of the posters says wait till they're 6-7, why? just keep it fun and don't ever push it!

My kid skied independently at 2. I’m with Lloyd Braun - get those little turds out on the snow in diapers. They can do it and so can you. Don’t hold them back just cuz yer scared.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Age 10

Mikey B, how tall is your kiddo there at 10? I want to get my boy some ski's for touring. He's 9 and he's always asking me about it.
    Nice pics.
    Last edited by Neil Fiedler; 11-08-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: poor quote'n

Owen is a little guy - 4’8” tall and 67#. The tough part for touring is getting boots and bindings that are small enough and light enough. He’s on too heavy of a rig (race boots and Marker) but he can handle it. Now that he’s in a 23.5 boot I think we can get him into a tech rig. He’s been shuffling around on skins since he was 5.

Search for my “little ripper” thread.

My wife and I will be suiting up our 20 month old this January for the first time. Any advice on first time out? Between the legs? Anyone here use a bungee leash or anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cant share a double View Post
    My wife and I will be suiting up our 20 month old this January for the first time. Any advice on first time out? Between the legs? Anyone here use a bungee leash or anything like that?
    Most folks who replied to my question said, "don't tie anything to the kid" others said "hula hoop method" 6 to 1 half dozen... My buddy started skiing about that age between his dads legs, granted his dad was a tall lunk like my self.
    Last edited by Neil Fiedler; 11-10-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: not enough coffee...

I used a harness once they could kind of ski on their own. Used mostly just as speed control when things got steeper. Many have told me that was a terrible idea. Fuck’em - it worked and we had fun and my back was happy.

Hate the leash and other similar mechanical restraining devices. Hula hoop might be helpful if yo do it right. Expect very little at less than 2 years old. Bring snacks.

Nice, luckily I'm 6'4" so she should fit nicely under/between my legs. We will have plenty of snacks! Will definitely bring skittles...for me, maybe some for her. I like the hula hoop idea as well. We'll see how it goes.

Agreed. And the leash attached to it worked for us.

Nice, luckily I'm 6'4" so she should fit nicely under/between my legs. We will have plenty of snacks! Will definitely bring skittles...for me, maybe some for her. I like the hula hoop idea as well. We'll see how it goes.
    before you ever get on snow, do the following: put her in her skis and boots on carpet (grass outside works too) and get her to walk around with skis on her feet. Then get her to turn around 180 degrees- both to the left and to the right- use some sort of snack/reward etc that she can follow. If she can walk forward, and then turn around without stepping across her skis ie right across left when turning left, then you should be good to go. If she steps across her ski, her coordination isn't quite there yet for much other than riding with you doing all of the work.

And it's been said, but little kids are really hard on the lower back and knees if you are the one doing all the work in the power wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    before you ever get on snow, do the following: put her in her skis and boots on carpet (grass outside works too) and get her to walk around with skis on her feet. Then get her to turn around 180 degrees- both to the left and to the right- use some sort of snack/reward etc that she can follow. If she can walk forward, and then turn around without stepping across her skis ie right across left when turning left, then you should be good to go. If she steps across her ski, her coordination isn't quite there yet for much other than riding with you doing all of the work.

And it's been said, but little kids are really hard on the lower back and knees if you are the one doing all the work in the power wedge.
    I also found spending some time getting them comfortable with putting their own ski back on when they crash was really important. I saw quite a few parents doing all the work and SMH I wan them to be independant. The more he did it the less frustrating it became. Probably more of a no brainer I guess...

Best part is he jumped on the couch with me to watch Bearings with me last night. kid is stoked!