Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    WestCoastPDR Guest
    Bump. Anyone have any beta on TC conditions. Looks like I have a window the 19-21st to get after it.

You can always hope the schwack to get to the couloir will have kept enough people away that it's not completely bumped.

On a more serious note I'd say it's too soon to know with the 10 day forecast we have. I was a bit south in Great Basin Natl Park yesterday and the snowline on the most northerly aspects was about 8,300. I'm guessing it would be closer to 8k at TC but that still leaves most of willows dry.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You can always hope the schwack to get to the couloir will have kept enough people away that it's not completely bumped.

On a more serious note I'd say it's too soon to know with the 10 day forecast we have. I was a bit south in Great Basin Natl Park yesterday and the snowline on the most northerly aspects was about 8,300. I'm guessing it would be closer to 8k at TC but that still leaves most of willows dry.
    Wow. 8300 foot snowline on N faces? What is the snowline on S and W faces? Pretty significant snowpack at that 8300 foot level or is going to be much higher and dryer two weeks from now? I was planning on heading out for some spring chuting on the 22nd but may need to find an alternate destination?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPDR View Post
    Bump. Anyone have any beta on TC conditions. Looks like I have a window the 19-21st to get after it.
    This is from a few days ago.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

You'd think a gimmicky, low angle couloir was the only skiable line in the Rubys.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Thanks MTM

^ never understood the snark. If that's your zone, be happy everyone gangbangs the one popular spot and the rest is yours. If it's not your zone, why do you care?

Thanks MTM
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    ^ never understood the snark. If that's your zone, be happy everyone gangbangs the one popular spot and the rest is yours. If it's not your zone, why do you care?
    Because whenever anyone mentions the Rubys that's all you hear about 98% of the time. It's annoying. And it's not a very good ski line from the 69302 POV's I've seen of it. However, I will say it's a helluva snowmachine line. The one POV I saw of some crazy fuck going up that thing was awesome. Give it the the slednecks and go find something that isn't 10 feet wide, 35 degrees, and next to a highway to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Because whenever anyone mentions the Rubys that's all you hear about 98% of the time. It's annoying.
    To most, that is a very good thing.

Get after it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    To most, that is a very good thing.
    The 8 skiers in Elko? I doubt there's any danger of the Rubys being tracked out even if it was posted everywhere on social media.

The 8 skiers in Elko? I doubt there's any danger of the Rubys being tracked out even if it was posted everywhere on social media.
    Agreed. That's a busy day at snowbowl.

Because whenever anyone mentions the Rubys that's all you hear about 98% of the time. It's annoying. And it's not a very good ski line from the 69302 POV's I've seen of it. However, I will say it's a helluva snowmachine line. The one POV I saw of some crazy fuck going up that thing was awesome. Give it the the slednecks and go find something that isn't 10 feet wide, 35 degrees, and next to a highway to ski.
    I take it from your comment that you've never skied it. It's incredibly aesthetic. It's a very pleasant day. it's the perfect break on the way from Tahoe to the wasatch or vice versa. It's better than the other stuff i've skied in the rubies although i'm certain that was because i've had better conditions there
    It is next to a road, one that is closed for most that are skiing it. I've done it with the just under a mile approach and with the just over 3 mile approach. It is a great introduction to couloir skiing without getting someone in over their head. When the road is open past it, I drive past it.
    But given it's fairly easy ski access, doesn't it make more sense for skiers to get after it than snowmachiners who can get waaaaaay back into the rubies (and don't require a heli to get the sled down)? That was also a huge year when they did that. I've never seen the top section without rocks.
    Last edited by powdork; 04-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Beta Bump, anyone been in the region lately? Thinking about heading over this week.

i think any beta would have to be from today given the storm they just had.

Are there any weather stations other than the snotel at the bottom of Lamoille?

You can try contacting ruby mountain heli skiing. Pretty sure they're done for the year but if they're around I've heard they don't mind sharing info. Never tried it though. If I could I would go and it's a much longer drive from Tahoe.

WestCoastPDR Guest

Ruby Mountains, NV

Here's a few shitty iPhone pics for you from about a week ago. Road was drive-able to about 8k feet (Lamoile canyon). Lots of wet slides recent and old.

Bowl behind TC as seen from the top of TC

Here's another shot of same zone

Creek

Aftermath of 140 days in ski boots and 2k vert of toe kicks

siiiiick also your foot looks fucked bro

That looks like fun. Could have done without the foot pic though.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That looks like fun. Could have done without the foot pic though.
    Oh. I forgot to say that there was a shit load of debri in TC. Here is a really shitty iPhone pic of said debri

I'm icing my foot now as it appears I'm not going mtn biking tomorrow morning. I came home to this tonight. #poorplanning

Any good skiing out in the Ruby Mountains right now? I will be in Elko for a few days and want to go explore on Friday. I will bring my touring gear just in case.
    Any idea how far up Lamoille canyon the road is open? Is there any other road that provides access to skiing besides Lamoille canyon? Thanks.

Anybody have any condition info on the rubies now? Might be there tomorrow before all the rains.

Bump for Ruby spring beta. Any approaches from the east side?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Everyone's feet okay?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp