Recommend a 100mm waisted ski?

Hey,

Spring is coming and the powder will be diminishing (though this last weekend at Baker was sweet and deep).

Looking for a ski to finish the quiver. Prices are starting to come down!

I have bought a pair of 2012 Marker Jester Schizos that have a 90mm brake. I am looking for a 95mm – 100mm waisted ski for the Schizos (this will be my first pair of Schizos….going to try out a few positions). The Opus has me loving the more center mount position.

Me: 5’7”, 175lbs, ski 35 – 40 days a year. Like to ski everything.

Looking for the following in a 178cm-182cm ski:

- Blend of park and All mountain (but mostly all mountain as all I do in the park is gap type jumps, no tricks or rails/boxes),

- Slight early rise tip (required), early rise tail??? (not required - but a bit of rise in the tail is OK),

- Camber underfoot,

- I like a poppy, lively feeling ski,

- Good edge on hardpack,

- Effortless to turn,

I do like Line skiis and have seriously been considering the:

Line Chronic (121/90/119). I know they are made in China! But I like Line skiis.

Line Blend (132/100/122). This is likely my first choice from Line. I have skied the Blends and really liked them.

If not a Line ski, I would prefer to buy something made in the States (ie Moment, Fatypus)....I am Canadian who skis at Mt Baker, WA. Don't mind supporting local. I am also considering:

Fatypus L-Toro (132/100/123). I demo’d the L- Toro today and it was such a sweet ski.

Moment PB&J (121/101/119). Gonna demo this one soon.

Any other suggestions for a 90mm - 100mm waisted ski meeting the above characteristics, and made in USA?

Thanks,

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.

RESEARCH

Looks like you've done a bit of research so far. Why not keep going and find the reviews on the skis you've listed? I know for sure that blister gear review would help you out.

Anyway, just so I don't seem like a dick, I've heard great things about the:
    VOLK BRIDGE http://volkl.com/ski/skiis/models/bridge

Personally, I've demoed the Dynastar 6th Sense Slicer and thought that was pretty fun, but kind of damp for a sub 100mm waist ski with a twin tip.

blizzard bonafide, best ski I tried in the category.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    blizzard bonafide, best ski I tried in the category.
    I don't think the bonafide at all fits the 'light and lively' requirement.

If I were you? Bend the brakes on the Schizos and pick up the Bacon. I'm pretty much in love with mine. It's Basically an Opus that's more amenable to being thrown around, versatile enough to handle variable spring conditions.
    Baring that, one ride I thought was very, very similar to the Bacon was the Atomic Access. 100mm in the waist, very light, very responsive, very lively. The only downside is it's somewhat soft, I'd say a little softer than the Bacon. Theory might be a good choice as well.

Volkl Bridge is def a good one and the other one you have to also look at is teh ON3P Jeronimo... 96 underfoot with camber and rocker... It is their all mountain park ski... And the plus is they have them on line and are on sale...

http://on3pskis.myshopify.com/collec...012-jeronimo-1

Rossi S3
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

^^^^This

Or step up a tiny bit and get the Influence 105. Fits all your criteria, just a little wider.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Support local for real (not China) and get some LibTech NAS Freerides.

I mean you live right there, look around next time you're at Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

This x 1,000,000 - you will never go back
    Or get the pow nas or magic horsepower.

Honestly, I recently demoed Line Blends and one word came to my mind as soon as they touched snow: "snowblades". Not even the the nice ones like spruce, more like the Salomon Snowblades. Maybe I was way to hard on them since a day before that I was on blizzard bonafide but the armada JJs I demoed the next day did better on everything including hardpack.

Oh and the Schizos are HORIBLE bindings. I have mine at type 3 + 3 and they prerelease like crazy. I was in some soft moguls and I slipped out of them four times in one run. I suspect the the rail system flexes too much and gives out. I thought TGR was kind of kidding when it came to Marker but mine are hitting the trash bin. Mine are older, I hope you have better luck.
    Last edited by daught; 02-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.

ya I see a ton of the Libtechs at Baker. Interesting looking ski. That serrated edge looks crazy.

Where can you buy Libtechs?....the Libtech website shows Mount Baker Snowboard shop as a dealer?

Narrowing it down to ON3P Jeronimo, Fatypus L-Toro....and now the Libtech NAS Freeride.

Thanks,
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Hey,

Found out the local Mad Dog's in Abbotsford sells LibTechs. They have last years Freerides on sale for $499CDN. So I just picked up a pair of their 2012 LibTech NAS Freerides demos from them to try tomorrow at Baker! Man the squiggly edge looks freaky.

K

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Oh and the Schizos are HORIBLE bindings. I have mine at type 3 + 3 and they prerelease like crazy. I was in some soft moguls and I slipped out of them four times in one run. I suspect the the rail system flexes too much and gives out. I thought TGR was kind of kidding when it came to Marker but mine are hitting the trash bin. Mine are older, I hope you have better luck.
    I don't agree. My 09/10 Jester Schizo have been fine for two winters, skied hard in and out of the park, set at type 3+.

Hi,

Well.....just spent the day on a pair of 2012 LibTech NAS Freerides that I was demoing.....conditions were variable snow and packed powder at Mt Baker, WA. These things just rip. One of the fastest days of the season for me. Found them easy to float in broken snow and pow, and so sweet if you hit any ice on the backside of a powder mogul. These things bite and go! Was killing my buddies on these as the confidence to go stupidly fast is so enticing. Almost killed myself on a few epic wipeouts....just cause I was pushing it....something I haven't done in a while. Such sweet skis.

Then stopped at Glacier ski shop on the way home and bought a set of their Libtech NAS Freeride demos that were in mint condition.

Good advice whoever said buy LibTechs! Highly recommended.

K

karhu team 100 ftw

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I seriously suggest waiting for a 2013 Atomic Ritual. You won't regret it. 103 under foot.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hi,

K
    Good for you on going with the Libs . . . seeing more and more of them on the hill lately. I'm digging my NAS POW's.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Skiied my new Lib 2012 Freerides with the Marker Schizos today......the Schizo bindings are the 2012s and looked/felt bomber. Easy to adjust back and forth, solid feel while ripping.

Funny thing is I played around with the Schizos.....at the end of the day I looked at where I was.....my boot center was right on the Lib's sweet spot (approx. 4.5cm back from true center).

So nice to be on a ski that felt perfect at the recommended spot.....so unlike my Dynastars.

K

I have a pair of older 179 Line Prophet 100's(yellow) that would fit the bill. $100 shipped. Can upload, email or text pics. They have been drilled once in one ski and twice in the other due to shop mis-mount.
    Good condition w/ no base shots.
    yes please! to the the top!

Armada TST

Rockered tip, flat tail. Light, lively and handles all conditions really well. 183 is a really versatile size.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hi,

Well.....just spent the day on a pair of 2012 LibTech NAS Freerides that I was demoing.....conditions were variable snow and packed powder at Mt Baker, WA. These things just rip. One of the fastest days of the season for me. Found them easy to float in broken snow and pow, and so sweet if you hit any ice on the backside of a powder mogul. These things bite and go! Was killing my buddies on these as the confidence to go stupidly fast is so enticing. Almost killed myself on a few epic wipeouts....just cause I was pushing it....something I haven't done in a while. Such sweet skis.

Then stopped at Glacier ski shop on the way home and bought a set of their Libtech NAS Freeride demos that were in mint condition.

K
    You are welcome, glad you like, and nice work keeping money local

do you still have that crazy waterpark up there in the CW?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

You are welcome, glad you like, and nice work keeping money local
    Ya, skiied the LibTech Freerides again on Sunday. Not great conditions (mixed snow, rain, heavy crud) but the Lib Freerides ripped everywhere. Thank you again.

Baker just got 22" of new snow in the last 24 hrs....and our schools are on strike for 3 days. Time for a sick day with kids tomorrow?

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 07-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.