Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mdp View Post
    I mounted my 179's at +4.5 and haven't had any of the wheelie popping issues others have mentioned. I mounted them like that after riding pair my buddy loaned me that were mounted core center. In heavier powder they seemed to want to dive unless I moved my weight back. Better switch riding due to center mounting wasn't worth the loss in float for me since I only ride switch if I'm fucking around on groomers with friends. I'm much happier with them mounted at +4.5. They float well in the heavier pow, and carve great through the groomers on the way back to the lifts. Maybe I ski more weight-centered than others that are having wheelie issues? Either way, the skis are a blast.

BTW, I'm 5',10" and weigh 160 if it matters.

Thanks for the update on your experiences. I've been toying with +4.5 or +5

I am going with Spindrifts suggested +7.5, after getting the ski, this looks just about perfect with a 306 BSL.
    Last edited by BoatBound; 04-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Can you tell a big difference between a +5 and a +6 or +7? I have my Bents at a +5 right now and am thinking of moving them to a 6 or 7. After reading this thread it seems to get the max amount of fun it should be a +6-7, which is why I am thinking of moving it.

189's at Plus 5.5 and think thats about as foward as I want to go. Skiing 24in of fresh I can get to tips to sink with no problem. I think going foward more might mean I would have to lean back more wich defeats the purpose of this ski. If you ski switch in POW all the time then go foward but most people arn't Pep or Marhe. I say anything plus 5 is good but plus 7.5 might be to far foward for regular POW shredding.
    Stevens Pass Kicks Ass

bigbud-you are right about Stevens! Sick!

I have been loving my Bents on everything except moguls and tight, packed snow tree runs (mainly getting to my favorit pow stashes). I seem to be dealing with tail slap or tail hangups in these situations. Maybe it is just the skier and I need to get used to the width but I have never had any issues with other skis in the 115mm mark. Other than that they are solid. Any ideas? would mounting location possibly change this? Or do I just need to ball up, sit back, smile and hang on and not care?

I ended up mounting +6 and really liked them. Skied 2, 8" days of heavier stuff Easter and then on Monday at vail and BC. No wheelies and good float, I agree if they are too far forward, you might end up leaning back. I did not ski any tight and steep trees but I will be using at Steamboat so too soon to tell but on trees 4-8' apart inbounds were not a problem. Thought they were a blast and were also fun on groomed soft stuff. I loved them on soft larger bumped stuff. Had them on "Dragons Teeth" at vail and they handled it very well, good edgehold too!

just got my hellbents yesterday (189) and i keep jumping around from +6-7 and am not quite sure what to mount at, i want to use it for going switch every once in a while and doing bc kickers but also want it to handle well for shredding the pow i am 6'3 180 327bsl any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by lfj88 View Post
    just got my hellbents yesterday (189) and i keep jumping around from +6-7 and am not quite sure what to mount at, i want to use it for going switch every once in a while and doing bc kickers but also want it to handle well for shredding the pow i am 6'3 180 327bsl any suggestions
    Yes. Unless you are exclusively doing big open fast spaces, return them for 179s. Then flip a coin and mount anywhere you like between +6 and +7.5. I'd advocate forward, but there comes a point where you should just get out & ski 'em.

Of course the mount discussion pretty much been beaten to death anyplace you name on the web...

Ok, I have some experience with this(179s) and have a friend with much more, and we both thought this:
    Don't mount behind +6.5. Even for somebody never skiing switch, this is the farthest back we though worked well. with that said, for skiing one way fast we like about +7.5, and for using it as a jib ski +9 seemed pretty fun(although if I had a pair, I would mount +7.5 since that works skiing forward and switch great). Also I didn't like Jesters on them...Other bindings work better. The skis are so damn heavy to start with that a super light binding loses some power that a binding 5-5.5lbs still has in these(STH 16s, Tyrolia Mojo 15s, and FKS 155s all worked great, light enough to throw the skis around well but not too light). I don't like Jesters on most skis, though.
    I would Imagine 189 mounting is similar to this, but even more stable on groomers(no worries, 179s are great on groomers) since all you are adding is 10cm of flat surface, 5cm on each side of the binding.

mounted my 189 at +6.5. this seems like the place, has good balance for both skiing and spinning. also at +6.5 wheeling them out is pretty minimal to non-existent for me, but i'm also 5'9" 160

Does height and or weight affect your mounting point? Is there a rule of thumb that says if you are shorter/lighter that you should go further forward or back?

I noticed lots of people on this thread also give their heights and weights but I couldn't see a trend.

Thanks,

Puder Luder

right at the lights, straight on till night
    any updated thoughts from mags with hellbents re mounting points? i was favoring true center (+10) after reading this thread as I have some EHP 193s for charging hard and was looking to these to goof around in the deep stuff, spin a little, try out some switch riding, rip trees and huck some moderate meat. i've never had a true center mount before and figured these were the skis to do it on.

but then of course i had to find Seth's review on these on backcountry where he says he mounts them at +6 http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge...M.html#reviews

i know this topic can get flogged to death but any updated feedback would be appreciated.

edit: length 189
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

I had mine at +3.5 and then had them remounted at +7 and it is a totally different ski.
    Way better in the steeps and easier to stay on top off. I was ending up in the back seat a lot more at +3.5

It was interesting to read Seth's opinion on mounting the 189 'bents.

He was at +6, and suggested ~1cm back for a larger BSL.

Makes me think I will stick with +5 to +6

Got them back from the shop. Went with +5.

Got them on my feet...they DO look like clownshoes!

Can't wait to give'em a go!

Mounted my new 179's at +6.5 with FR+. I have a 297 BSL. Choose that after reading this thread about 100 times.

I am 172x70, second season on skis after boarding, so I really don't know what I am talking about.

I have a couple days on these on the pistes at loveland. I like (am happy with) the spot. There is a lot of tail but I don't notice it. I ski very neutral. I can skate pretty well on them and kick turn even with my relatively short legs (~30" inseam). They do handle the pistes fine. I would give a more thorough review but 1) two days on the pistes is hardly a proper sampling, and 2) like I said, I suck. They do draw a lot of attention and comments.

Puder Luder
    Last edited by PuderLuder; 11-17-2009 at 07:31 AM.
    I got 99 problems but this pitch aint one

Go with +5. they will ski fine regular or switch.

I got my Bents the first year they came out. I first had them mounted at +7. They skied great but felt like they wanted to dive in the deep. I ended up moving them back to +5 and could not be more happy with how they perform. Tip never wants to dive on me and don't have a problem with the ski wanting to back seat me. Also have no problem skiing switch with them.

5'11
    200lbs
    Last edited by Brianawd; 11-18-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pow27 View Post
    Go with +5. they will ski fine regular or switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianawd View Post
    I got my Bents the first year they came out. I first had them mounted at +7. They skied great but felt like they wanted to dive in the deep. I ended up moving them back to +5 and could not be more happy with how they perform. Tip never wants to dive on me and don't have a problem with the ski wanting to back seat me. Also have no problem skiing switch with them.
    Specs please: 179 or 189s, height, weight, BSL.

i have 179 at +6. My bsl is 326 weight is around 170 height 5'9

Ok, so to revive and old thread. Just got some 189 bents. Originally i was pretty intimidated at the size. Now im starting to quite like them in lots of conditions. Currently mounted +6.5 or so. I basically want to use these for spinning, pillows, trees, and getting upside down. Anyone have any experience using the big boys for jibbing/flipping? Would it benefit me to move up for true center at about +9.5? I really wanted 179's but like i said these don't seem long at all for skiing on. Still deciding on the jibbing part. I'm 6' 175 for reference.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

5'6" - 155 lbs - 294 bsl - 179's mounted at +6.5

Like my spot - no wheelie to speak off. I don't ski backwards much, but land backwards plenty and the spot has been great for that. Had a couple of deep days at the Ghee and on the pass last week and loved the mount point for pure pow - not convinced I would want to be any further forward then 6.5 to preserve that surfy feeling.
    Last edited by TyWebb; 01-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.

^^^x1
    5'8" - 160lbs, 297bsl. 179s @+6.5.

Like it for everything, but wouldn't want to be any further forward.

x2

5'9" 160 lbs 179cm mounted +7.0 BSL 318

Can't get the tips to dive in deep snow but any further forward would just be weird. They are very fun at this mounting position in just about every condition (even groomers and bumps).

Can't speak to being upside down or spinning because I am a giant pussy.

anyone on 89's mounted forward?
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...