Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    So it’s not worth it? Skied them today with the biggest spoiler I have and wish they had more lean.
    I mean it’s a 5 min change. But I think you’ll see when you do it that it’s not doing anything really.

I’ve also discovered the tech fitting placement on these boots tends to reduce the forward lean when in the binding vs say a scarpa.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I mean it’s a 5 min change. But I think you’ll see when you do it that it’s not doing anything really.

I’ve also discovered the tech fitting placement on these boots tends to reduce the forward lean when in the binding vs say a scarpa.
    I’d rather not not mess with the screws that are loctited if it’s no change.

That makes sense. Any ski it in boths pins and a shift or something to see if its better? Maybe i just need old dynafits with like a 35* ramp angle

I’d rather not not mess with the screws that are loctited if it’s no change.

That makes sense. Any ski it in boths pins and a shift or something to see if its better? Maybe i just need old dynafits with like a 35* ramp angle
    Was going to but with kids at home and a tweaked knee I never got to it.

See my thread on ramp angle. To match my cochise in alpine binders I think I need a ramp of 11-12 degrees. Which happens to be angle of the ATK freeride range.

So it’s not worth it? Skied them today with the biggest spoiler I have and wish they had more lean.
    Idk it does feel a little better with putting it to 14º and putting that included bumper in the back to act like a spoiler.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Idk it does feel a little better with putting it to 14º and putting that included bumper in the back to act like a spoiler.
    I’d agree the spoiler helps. Not so much switching the tap.

I would just like to say that these boots are fucking incredible, and that's coming from a Fischer Carbon Travers for half a million+ vertical feet. Can't believe how well this tours compared to the old brown/blue Cochise, the white Maestrale, etc

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I would just like to say that these boots are fucking incredible, and that's coming from a Fischer Carbon Travers for half a million+ vertical feet. Can't believe how well this tours compared to the old brown/blue Cochise, the white Maestrale, etc
    Another day on mine today and I’m super impressed. They ski super well and the flex feels nice and progressive. I can’t say anything bad about how it walks too, range if motion feels more than adequate and smooth.

My inbounds boot is lange plug so I’m picky as can be.

I feel a little more forward resistance when the skin track angle gets steep vs my Fischer’s and they are a little heavier but they haven’t slowed me down at all, even when touring many consecutive days. Outside of actual skimo racing I no longer really see a need for a ~1kg boot, and I really never thought I would say that. they are mighty fiddly at transition time, but I'm already getting used to it...

edit to add: it took me a little bit to figure out that if I throw the walk mode lever down when my leg is upright and lean forward it locks on its own, I don't need to futz with the stupid locking piece. pretty neat.
    Last edited by mall walker; 03-27-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Outside of actual skimo racing I no longer really see a need for a ~1kg boot, and I really never thought I would say that. they are mighty fiddly at transition time, but I'm already getting used to it...
    This right here. I'm actually thinking of going even lighter than my 1st gen Atomic Backlands for my lightweight boots (when they die) since the ZGTP skis and tours SO well.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    This right here. I'm actually thinking of going even lighter than my 1st gen Atomic Backlands for my lightweight boots (when they die) since the ZGTP skis and tours SO well.
    yeah. I'm slow enough I can't really justify the cost but if I do want a truly light setup (if I ever attempt say, the Oquirrh traverse or the La Sal traverse or something) I think Alien 1.0s or something would be where I'd go. I race very casually and am an officer for the local nonprofit that puts on the tuesday night "skimo" "races" here in UT so I'll keep a simple-transitioning boot (Backland, Travers) for those, but otherwise... the weight penalty and walk mode penalty are so slight, almost unnoticeable. And I really fucking notice that stuff.

I'm definitely keep some lighter SKIS for things like the 8th or 9th straight day of 4k'+ days when I'm just fucking gassed, or if me and sfotex ever ski again and I gotta try to keep up with him, or the big annual skimo race (Wasatch Powderkeg) which is super fucking fun and which I keep knocking double-digit minutes off my team each year. But for bc skiing, fuck, I'm never not taking the ZGTPs. They haven't slowed me down at all, not one minute, and I track this stuff in a spreadsheet.

Interesting....
    I’ve been pondering boots and a while back passed up on cheap zgtp’s. Later I realized they’re barely weigh more than my old tlt6’s; maybe worth further looks when the world settles down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

riff they both ski AND skin better than the tlt6's too.

Does anyone else think the ZGTP has a lot of room in the cuff? I’m pretty much maxed out with the top cuff buckle (buckle moved to the farthest hole too). I’m in intuition tour wraps for liners.

I’m a skinny guy, so I have a skinny calf, but I don’t experience the same problem in my Solly mtn labs.
    I’m considering adding some boot foam to the liners, and if that doesn’t work, drilling a new hole for the top buckle ladder (staying in the reinforced buckle area of the cuff).
    Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts on what to do?

I’ve got nonexistent calves as well. I use the spoiler it comes with in the tongue and super thick spoilers in the back and I’m good. Surefoot makes some really thick ones that are soft. Other than that Lange spoilers tend to be the thickest you can find. Helps add some forward lean as well which helps us calf deprived folks.

hm, I tend to think of myself as having pretty narrow calves but haven't had an issue. I have the buckles in the stock position... I'm on basically the tightest "notch" or whatnot but I am in pretty much every boot.

Similar problems with mine as well. I've always had to move upper buckles to the tightest setting on other boots but this was much more noticeable on the ZGTP. Besides adjusting the top buckles, I added Tour Wraps which took up some room, added a thicker spoiler and added a true booster strap in lieu of the stock one. All of these have helped as well as buckling the booster strap underneath the cuff. After doing this I've got much better control and feel, at one point was considering dumping these as the calf movement was horrible and in anything other than fresh was down right hard to control.

Has anyone here upgraded from La Sportiva Spectre 2.0's to the ZGTP? If so, can you comment on how the fit compares? I was looking at the Hoji Free as an upgrade, but I don't really want to end up in a boot that's heavier than what I'm skiing now.

Currently I'm skiing a 27.5 Spectre 2.0 with a size 28 MV Intuition Dreamliner and no shell work. Inbounds I ski a 26.5 Lange RX120 with a ZipFit liner, and use the same custom footbed in both.

The BSL is the 27.5 ZGTP is 9mm longer than my Spectre's: is that just because of the outsole shape, or is the interior length significantly longer? I don't want or need any more length/volume than the Spectre's offer, but I also know I don't want to tour in a boot that is shell-fit as tightly as my 26.5 Lange's.

The alternative is to keep my Spectre's going by sticking some new Pro Tour Liners I picked up from the group buy in them with a Power tongue to beef up the boot a bit?

Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro - 2018- 9 boot

^ pretty sure Boissal did that exact upgrade, you may wanna pm him

edit: and he sized down to 26.5. coming from a 27.5 fischer carbon travers I also sized down to 26.5 in the ZGTP. fits perfect.

This might be a data point ... or not ...

My 25.5 OG XT 130 Freetours (LV) feel tighter in the toe box than my 25.5 ZGTPs (last year's model - unchanged for this year).

The shell fit feels very close, but subjectively (and with Power Wraps in the Langes and Tour Wraps in the ZGTPs), there's a marginal (but significant for me) difference.

This, seems more about the toe box height. Just walking around in the XTs, the knuckles on my big and middle toes get sore. It's tolerable when skiing.

I've never experienced this in a boot, don't know if it's a Lange thing, if it's changed in 3 years, or if this is why you upsized your Spectres.

The ZGTPs are fine, but I wouldn't want them a mm shorter.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-30-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I can't contribute an apples to apples comparison with your Langes, but my 25.5 OG XT 130 Freetours feel tighter in the toe box than my 25.5 ZGTPs (last year's model - unchanged for this year).

The shell fit feels very close, but subjectively (and with power wraps in the Langes and tour wraps in the ZGTPs), there's a marginal (but significant for me) difference.

This, seems more about height. Just walking around in the XTs, the knuckles on my big and middle toes get sore. It's tolerable when skiing.

I've never experienced this in a boot and don't know if it's a Lange thing, or if it's changed in 3 years.

... Thom
    XTlv toebox is much lower height (compared to other lange boots as well.) there is a ton of plastic there and you can just grind it a bit to open it up. I have no idea why lange decided to do that. You'd think they would be more generous in that area for a "touring boot." The last is narrower throughout, particularly in the heel.

ZG toebox is tighter on the inside (big toe), slightly lower instep than the XT.

My ZG Scout skis and walks so well. Very very impressed with these boots.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    XTlv toebox is much lower height (compared to other lange boots as well.) there is a ton of plastic there and you can just grind it a bit to open it up. I have no idea why lange decided to do that.
    Definitely an "odd" design decision. Thanks for the tip. Punching helped a bit, and since I only ski it inbounds (and occasional side country), I haven't pursued it further.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This might be a data point ... or not ...

My 25.5 OG XT 130 Freetours (LV) feel tighter in the toe box than my 25.5 ZGTPs (last year's model - unchanged for this year).

The shell fit feels very close, but subjectively (and with Power Wraps in the Langes and Tour Wraps in the ZGTPs), there's a marginal (but significant for me) difference.

This, seems more about the toe box height. Just walking around in the XTs, the knuckles on my big and middle toes get sore. It's tolerable when skiing.

I've never experienced this in a boot, don't know if it's a Lange thing, if it's changed in 3 years, or if this is why you upsized your Spectres.

... Thom

I'm not sure my Spectres are "upsized" as I wear size 11 street shoes, and I have a very tight shell fit in my Langes (~5mm). I bought my Spectres from a reasonably reputable shop, and the fitter thought there was no way I should be considering 26.5 boots for touring use based on the length of my feet. I had a pair of 26.5 Vulcans that were torture devices to tour in for me, so that supports that idea.

My Spectres definitely have another season or two of life in them, but if there's something out there that both skis better and is lighter, then I'm all ears. This would be a purely AT boot, not for crossover/resort use unless I'm riding a lift to go out the gate for the day, so minimizing weight is important to me, but I tour for the turns, so downhill performance is also important to me.

I generally like how my Spectres tour and ski, although I do occasionally overpower them. I should probably just get the stiff tongue for those new liners and call it good. The price of new boots will cover half the cost of a second week at a hut somewhere in BC next winter, and the money's probably better spent that way.

^ well if you're a size 11 you might wanna stick with the 27.5... I am a size 9-9.5 and the 26.5 ZGTP is as close a shell fit as I could deal with for touring anyway. come to think of it you may just wanna try some on lol

^ well if you're a size 11 you might wanna stick with the 27.5... I am a size 9-9.5 and the 26.5 ZGTP is as close a shell fit as I could deal with for touring anyway. come to think of it you may just wanna try some on lol
    Yeah, that's absolutely the best course of action. However, I'm "working from home" as a building inspector, and in a state with a stay at home order, so I felt like shooting the shit about gear.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yeah, that's absolutely the best course of action. However, I'm "working from home" as a building inspector, and in a state with a stay at home order, so I felt like shooting the shit about gear.
    haha same, no judgment! I am just surprised I guess that you can take a 26.5 shell in any boot with that street shoe size. I always felt the tecnicas ran a size big compared to most other boots personally, but I haven't had a competitive alpine fitting boot in ages either