Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Any drawbacks to the pawl-less Onyx hubs? Other than ridiculous pricing?
    You anti-pawl or pro silent/instant engagement?

Been happy with this Project 321 hub so far. The magnetic pawls are easy, no springs to deal with. Not silent, but damn quiet especially with a little grease mixed in. Lotta engagements if you’re into that sort of thing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What makes the Onyx hubs heavy is the Sprag clutch itself. The BMX racers lover them but as toast stated the MTB application of an instant engagement hub on a full suspension bike is debatable at the very least.

I currently have a 36t in my 350, I swear it rolls faster than the 54t that is sitting in the toolbox.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm not sure about the weight on the new onyxs. I saw something saying they saved a bunch of weight switching from steel to aluminum freehub bodies, but the 440g one on their website has an aluminum XD driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    From what I have read they developed a machine process which allows them to eliminate a bunch of material and the pinch bolt from the end caps. They have also figured out how to use 1.5 spray clutches in stead of 2. They say older hubs will be able to be retrofitted.

In a different press release I have read that they have also changed their free hub engagement design to work with DT Swiss Star ratchet freehubs, thus having an Shimano 12 speed option. They are also producing their own free hubs as well.
    The claimed weight reduction is almost acceptable. They claimed on a 142x12 is currently 414g (must be without a freehub) and is the reduced weight model has a target weight of 320g.

To put it in perspective here are some actual weights of most of the popular hubs:
    Onyx 142x12 XD = 461g
    Chris King 142x12 XD Steel Freehub = 352g
    Hope Pro 2 EVO 142x12 XD = 294g
    Industry Nine 142x12 XD = 273g
    DT Swiss 350 Hub, 142x12 HG, 142x12, 6-bolt, Straight Pull = 275g
    Shimano XTR Centerlock Hub 142x12 = 269g
    DT Swiss 240 Centerlock 148x12 XD 28h = 219g
    I learned something today.Thanks. Went for a ride after my post and promptly forgot about onyx hubs. It's only been 2 years since I've wanted to know/research that. Interesting. Some good hubs in that list. I'm surprised at the weight differences for a little chunk of aluminium with some bearings

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone played with the new I9 101s yet? How loud are they compared to tourchs or kings? Looking at the we are one pre builts for 1k to replace my stock novatec/e13 wheels before they blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You anti-pawl or pro silent/instant engagement?
    Neither. I just recently heard about these pawl-less hubs and found the tech interesting... figured there would *have* to be a drawback... seems like it's weight. NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    seems like it's weight. NTTAWWT.
    Booner alias?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/qincycle?_t...72.m2749.l2754

I actually bought this thing twice. The first seller said he shipped me the 54t ratchet, but the tracking info stopped updating after a while. I got a refund from that seller and purchased again from qincycle. They delivered.
    Awesome. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

I just picked up a '19 leftover and it comes with DT370. DT doesn't even have them listed on their web site. Did they discontinue them or are they an OEM product?

Grskier - did you replace or are you still running the 370?

They are only OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They are only OEM.
    Ah, fuckers. Stupid me didn't even look to see what a 370 was, I just assumed it would be a decent (easy to service) hub. I probably would have bought the bike anyway, but a bit annoyed that the reserve hoops come with that hub instead of a 350. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I was just wondering about this. Good to hear
    I have a Chinese 54 on my gravel bike, works perfectly.
    Except for the volume.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I bought all of the 240 hub parts, have them in a box and am planning on getting a full hub rebuild with the 54 next time we have a shitty weather window. I found this tutorial that shows how to swap everything over and what to replace to make the 370 like the 240 or 350

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ah, fuckers. Stupid me didn't even look to see what a 370 was, I just assumed it would be a decent (easy to service) hub. I probably would have bought the bike anyway, but a bit annoyed that the reserve hoops come with that hub instead of a 350. Oh well.
    The only difference I'm aware of is that the 370 uses pawls instead of a ratchet. Biggest downside is lack of engagement. The freehub body pulls off the same. Pawls are a little more involved, but servicing isn't really difficult. Never had a single problem with a 370 hub.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The only difference I'm aware of is that the 370 uses pawls instead of a ratchet. Biggest downside is lack of engagement. The freehub body pulls off the same. Pawls are a little more involved, but servicing isn't really difficult. Never had a single problem with a 370 hub.
    Good to hear, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I bought all of the 240 hub parts, have them in a box and am planning on getting a full hub rebuild with the 54 next time we have a shitty weather window. I found this tutorial that shows how to swap everything over and what to replace to make the 370 like the 240 or 350

Yeah, I watched that. The bummer is buying the tools for potentially one-time use only?

I still have special bike tools from 1989 that are barely used and make me sick to look at but for some reason I can't part with them. I should probably donate to a shop. They probably run into dinosaurs a fair amount but they either have the tools or don't want the clutter.

I just think the engagement sucks on the 370. My last wheelset had better engagement and it's something you notice when you go less for sure. That said, it's been bombproof.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I just think the engagement sucks on the 370. My last wheelset had better engagement and it's something you notice when you go less for sure. That said, it's been bombproof.
    Yeah, I'll ride it for a year or so then upgrade it.

This topic came up on the ride last night. A guy I just started riding with has a new Hightower and he blew the 370 hub and they warrantied it by sending the shop a DT350. He said he now knows of 4 others that have busted theirs as well. Sounds like this hub sucks. I might try to warranty it before I blow it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    This topic came up on the ride last night. A guy I just started riding with has a new Hightower and he blew the 370 hub and they warrantied it by sending the shop a DT350. He said he now knows of 4 others that have busted theirs as well. Sounds like this hub sucks. I might try to warranty it before I blow it out.
    Let me know how that goes.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Just another data point. I recently purchased a bike with the 370 rear hub, had almost all the spare parts to convert except for a ratchet ring, washer and the spacer, or whatever thats called, bought the ebay 3 pawl removal and used a friend/shop's ratchet installation tool. No install issues at all, and well worth it in my opinon. I decided not to wait because my other 3 pawl hub (raceface) on my hardtail (which some say take more abuse ymmv) died slowly until it died real quick in the middle of a ride, and the 350 style ratchet hubs ive been running for years have been flawless.

I've been pretty happy with the conversion, but I also stopped riding right after I got it done.. Rotator cuff injury, fractured humeral head and bone bruise has kept me off the bike.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I've been pretty happy with the conversion, but I also stopped riding right after I got it done.. Rotator cuff injury, fractured humeral head and bone bruise has kept me off the bike.
    Ouch. At least you'll be well prepared hub-wise when you can pedal again, heal fast.

Let me know how that goes.
    It went well. Santa Cruz is the balz

resurrecting this old thread because I just bought a SC and the 370 hub engagement is noticeable slow compared with the 240s wtih 54t on my old bike. I was like 'yeah' i will go swap it in and learn about the pawls...
    does anyone have these 2 special tools sitting around? and an old hub? and a pair of pliers and a blowtorch?
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

That 370 > 240/350 conversion video is money. I'd say it would be worth buying the parts, but also seems like something you could have a local shop do for you since it's the same labor process they'd be doing during a bearing swap.
    However many are in a shit ton.