Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mobile phones @ Concerts and shows

So this pic from the Aspen thread reminded me of a pet peeve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBags @ NR.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	260728

While the performer is performing put your phone the fuck away. Your shitty video of the song wont be special.

If you need mad insta props for great band, or seats, or tickets Take a shot before the show, or at set break.
    Or after, tag up the performer, tell them their version of Freebird was the best you ever heard. Take a shot with your friends, or the rando you sat next to that vibed out as hard on the accordion solo as you did.
    Just put your phone away while the music plays.

No one paid good money to have to look around your fucking screen to see the band, especially if you feel the need to add commentary.
    For fucks sake people.
    [/rant]

If you go to rowdy enough shows this problem solves itself

^^^^

No phones in the pit.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I wear my GoPro head mount to concerts.. along with the latest t-shirt for the headline band.. while waving my zippo around... screaming freebird..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Someone taking pictures or video annoys me a hell of a lot less than someone talking through the entire set.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’m usually having to much of a good time dancing, watching the band, to even notice what others around me are doing let alone giving a fuck what they are doing.
    OP should try it sometime.

I'll stop dancing, take a quick vid or pic, then put it away and enjoy. I actually go back and watch it from time to time.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I’m usually having to much of a good time dancing, watching the band, to even notice what others around me are doing let alone giving a fuck what they are doing.
    OP should try it sometime.
    my eyes can't roll any farther back in my head after reading this. i have a headache now.

Marky Ramone had something to say about this:

Jack White doesn't approve either:

I agree, though. People who watch a whole performance through a screen are ridiculous. I really don't get it. Quit worrying about your social media street cred for two seconds and just enjoy the freaking moment for once!

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'll stop dancing, take a quick vid or pic, then put it away and enjoy.
    Pretty much this.

Dimming your screen goes a long way as well.

And truly, as douchy as the people in OP's pic already are, what is perhaps the MOST infuriating thing is that they're all shooting vertically. So lame.

pro tip: do NOT do that during a Robert Earl Keen show.

even worse...someone posting video from a show WHILE they are singing along poorly at the top of their lungs...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Already been mentioned, but Jack White banned cellphones at all the shows on his recent tour.
    He even enlisted a company that provided locked pouches that every attendee had to put their phone into. They kept the pouch, but an attendant out in the lobby had the keys, so if you felt compelled to use your phone you had to leave the show and track down the attendant to get the key to open the pouch to access your phone!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...in-the-moment/

At a show this fall in SF at The Chapel there was a dude using his phone to video the show. I loudly said to my friend "Great, we've got douchebag wannabe videographer in front of us." Dude quickly put his phone away and didn't bring it out for the rest of the show.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Still cool to check YT the next day and see me & my buddy's heads in the bottom of the vid from the night before during Seek & Destroy.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Or....do it discreetly and respectfully. I have an old digicam that gets pretty decent sound. I'm the guy standing front row against the side wall, so I'm not bothering anyone. And I've got the screen dimmed low and a privacy filter on the screen so you can only see it straight on. Even if I'm not against the wall, it's in front of my chest and face, so who fucking cares.

I don't do it for anyone other than myself, it's cool to see a clip or two of all the concerts I've seen. I have friends remind me of shows that I've completely forgotten altogether. I sure wish I had clips from all the old shows I've seen in the past.

https://youtu.be/AFc03feWaGs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    pro tip: do NOT do that during a Robert Earl Keen show.
    I've been to a shitton of REK shows, but none in the last dozen years or so (ie since the proliferation of smart phones). What happens?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

That Marky Ramone vid is awesome.
    "Or just knife 'em!"

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Jack White doesn't approve either:
    I was pretty toasted, so there's some creative license here, but we went to a JW show a few years ago (amazing show), and after the first song, he said get out your cameras, and he and the band kinda comedically posed. Then he said something to the effect of "now put the fucking things away and have a good time".

I'm with grskier. I don't have any social media accounts, but I do love to make my brother jealous, so I'll snap a couple of quick pics throughout the show. That's for me, though, cause I want to experience the whole show in real life, I don't really care what other people do. What I find more perplexing is school productions where parents watch the whole thing through a screen. You just want to take the phone so they can see what they're missing. Creating real memories is so much better than recording memories you'll never actually watch.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Or....do it discreetly and respectfully. I have an old digicam that gets pretty decent sound. I'm the guy standing front row against the side wall, so I'm not bothering anyone. And I've got the screen dimmed low and a privacy filter on the screen so you can only see it straight on. Even if I'm not against the wall, it's in front of my chest and face, so who fucking cares.

I don't do it for anyone other than myself, it's cool to see a clip or two of all the concerts I've seen. I have friends remind me of shows that I've completely forgotten altogether. I sure wish I had clips from all the old shows I've seen in the past.

https://youtu.be/AFc03feWaGs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
    Apples and oranges in my mind, if a band allows recording, do it well. Doesnt impact any other attendees.

Think JW is taking it a bit far, but I have noticed a lot of bands with strong fan bases ( Isbell, Hiss Golden Messenger) the crowd will self police as the acts have commented on it in past shows

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I What I find more perplexing is school productions where parents watch the whole thing through a screen. You just want to take the phone so they can see what they're missing. Creating real memories is so much better than recording memories you'll never actually watch.
    Umm, some of those parents are streaming the event so that the other parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle who couldn't be there can also experience it and tell the child they saw it. Pretty important when the kid is in kindergarten or early grades.. especially when one parent is deployed in the military overseas with no other way to get to actually be there. Now, when the kids get older they'd sometimes rather you just left them alone to do their thing with their friends, and yes, if you do insist on coming to see them perfrom, no standing in the front row pointing the phone or camera LOL..

Experiences these days don't really matter unless you can tell someone else you were there. It's not the "sharing generation", it's the "look at me" generation.

So how'd you get that photo? Cell phone out at the show?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Umm, some of those parents are streaming the event so that the other parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle who couldn't be there can also experience it and tell the child they saw it. Pretty important when the kid is in kindergarten or early grades.. especially when one parent is deployed in the military overseas with no other way to get to actually be there. Now, when the kids get older they'd sometimes rather you just left them alone to do their thing with their friends, and yes, if you do insist on coming to see them perfrom, no standing in the front row pointing the phone or camera LOL..
    Even when I was in elementary school 25 years ago there was one camera filming the whole thing that was then distributed to anyone who wanted it. This was so you didn't have 100 camcorders going.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    So how'd you get that photo? Cell phone out at the show?
    reading is FUNdamental. I grabbed it from a thread about Aspen.
    As mentioned I keep my phone in my pocket while the Band plays, I def take shots of the Marquis, the stage pre show, crowd etc, but while the show is on I dont pull it out.

I was lucky enough to go to the Masters for a day this year and they dont allow phones on the grounds. Like pull it out asked to leave dont allow. It was one of the reasons it was a great experience.

Ever since I am just really cognizant of how ubiquitous they are at every event and going to music is one of my favourite events.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Even when I was in elementary school 25 years ago there was one camera filming the whole thing that was then distributed to anyone who wanted it. This was so you didn't have 100 camcorders going.
    Ya but now a phone can stream it live while it's happening and the parent halfway across the world can tell the little kid they saw them and did great 5 minutes after the event instead of having to wait for a DVD to be mailed or posted online later. For little kid things I don't judge other parents with phones out.. At a REAL concert with grown ups GTFO with the holding up phones blocking the view of people behind you..