Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SUP?

Iceman SUPs in a speedo

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    See, this is news you can use. Thank you. But a fanny pack?!? Not happening.
    Why? ...it would look good with your jeans.

Sups are pretty awesome for exploring inlets etc, but they are also pretty gay so it's kind of a trade off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    A kayak is much better, There are places for beer and stuff. And, you're sitting down.
    meh, a SUP affords you much better views looking down into the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    meh, a SUP affords you much better views looking down into the water.
    Damn, all these chances to look down and I turn up my nose?

Quote Originally Posted by jSki View Post
    Iceman SUPs in a speedo
    That's just wrong.

Hugh Conway Guest
    That's just wrong.
    guayabara's work much better on real boats

Its super fun. Being a skier you already have a feel for the balance needed. We just did it in the Keys on a eco tour in the mangroves at first its seems unnatural to stand up. I don't know if its because there are not sides or the nurse shark swimming near the dock. In our group of 5 only my daughter and I were standing. At the end my wife did it but she waited too long and wished she had attempted it sooner.

My kid wants one now for here at the lake they go for around $1000 give or take.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

They are fun, fast, a good workout, and you can see more around you underwater with the elevation. I suggest you build your own-- about the same price when all is said and done, if not cheaper and lighter, with the satisfaction of using your hands. A great winter project.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/s...ddleboard.html

There are other kits and frames out there but these guys probably will have the best product support and most detailed plans.

SUPed this summer in Tahoe and had a blast. I want one to tool around Navajo and powell in the summer. Seems about my speed, and I'm old enough now I don't care about the ghey factor.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Fun in the ocean, less fun on flat water. I have a 10'4" Natures Shapes. They make all sorts of awesome surfboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphic Seth View Post
    They are fun, fast, a good workout, and you can see more around you underwater with the elevation. I suggest you build your own-- about the same price when all is said and done, if not cheaper and lighter, with the satisfaction of using your hands. A great winter project.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/s...ddleboard.html

There are other kits and frames out there but these guys probably will have the best product support and most detailed plans.
    no possible way you're going to end up lighter than a good fiberglass board with epoxy resin by making it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    no possible way you're going to end up lighter than a good fiberglass board with epoxy resin by making it yourself?
    Could be wrong, I speak from experience with kayaks, canoes, and sailboats, but not SUPs. The above weighs 32lbs for the 14' SUP. What's a good equivalent?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    they quote 29lbs for the 12'6", 12'1" surftech at REI weighs in at 31lbs per them. My experience with CLC weights is they are reasonably accurate

It's a bit bit harder than it looks if you get out of the marina and into the surf unless you've got some surfer background.
    Being out on the water is always good and yeah blame Laird and while your at it, do it to his face punk. You will be a speck of fly shit.

Picked up one last week and I'm hooked, much harder then I expected even with about 28 years of surfing experience. It's a lot like xcountry skiing as far as which muscle groups are getting worked. There is nothing else to do down here anyway then wake up in the morning go smoke a bowl then do a little flat water in the sound although I have more fun in the gulf catching swells and pissing off the shortboarders in the lineup.

I got an Original YOLO after demoing a few other brands, seems to be built a bit better and rides more like a surfboard and not a boat.

Cool man?

If this sort of thing appeals to you, even after the steep learning curve, then you really should try telemarking...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    and I'm old enough now I don't care about the ghey factor.
    Pretty much how I look at things. Except for guys. That would just be gay.

tried this for the first time at my dad's place on the lake. Quite fun. May have to get one for the local rivers and odd trip to the beach with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    supn just looks to me like a good way to make selfpropeled travel on the water colder/wetter/more uncomfortable/harder than it needs to be
    That is why it is the telemark of the water world! It is pretty cool if there are waves though, river or ocean. As a kayaker with bad shoulders, I see myself getting one. Plus my wife enjoys it.

fucking gay.

I'm sorry, but it's really not that cool unless you're literally surfing waves, in which case, you may as well just be surfing. Just paddling around on a lake or river? go swimming or paddle in a kayak. I really don't understand why it's a fad these days.

and yes, I've tried it.

I'm not sure why it's intrinsically more gay to stand up and paddle instead of sitting down, I mean whatever, who cares? And it might be cool to be able to see further in the distance and down into the water. I didn't get around to trying it this summer but I still would.

I would think paddling a kayak on a lake is way gayer than standing up, but what do I know.

Ice - if you don't have Polarized glasses already then get some, STAT. You'll see so much more in the water.

Looking like the one I will purchase.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Boardwork...god1RgAHQ#back
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I'm not sure why it's intrinsically more gay to stand up and paddle instead of sitting down, I mean whatever, who cares? And it might be cool to be able to see further in the distance and down into the water. I didn't get around to trying it this summer but I still would.
    I mean, it's more about the fact that people only do it because other people do it. To be honest, I really don't care what anyone else does but when I tried it I couldn't help but think "why the hell am I doing this."

and Tippster I would agree, if it were on a lake I'd take out a canoe. and I'd go fishing.

I can not take credit for this but SUP IS the telemark of water sports. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If you enjoy it then go for it.
    watch out for snakes