Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

This is Elkhorn

The cat track runs across the photo maybe 10-15 feet in front of the photog.

So the little kid in the middle has already gone over the lip of the dangerous cat track that is lined with man-made boulders. The kid is currently in the 50 foot long boulder-field that injured the MD.
    This jewel right here is all anybody needs to know about this case hahahahahahahahahaha what a maroon.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I call bullshit on that. Where I worked the general surgeons worked until their cases were done, whether or not they were on call. The anesthesiologists clocked out at the end of their shifts regardless of how many cases were left to do. Good luck getting one to stay late to help finish. And they spent most of their day in the office while the nurse anesthetists did the work. And when they were doing cases they were mainly preoccupied with when they were going to get a break.
    I don't know where you worked, but in my 25 years of working in the OR at a dozen or more hospitals in CA and WA I never saw a general surgeon keep working without an anesthesiologist. You can't do surgery without anesthesia unless you're Josef Mengele. At night anesthesia stays all night to cover the OR, ICU, OB and ER, some places do have NAs but not all. At busy hospitals the anesthesia staff are probably the most overworked of the medical specialties.

Fortunately Maine law makes this type of lawsuit very difficult to win and lawyers don't take them on.

I say fortunately because ski areas have been able to allow us to ski terrain they were closing before.

Some runs at Moonlight Basin do have some rocks.

Note: this photo is not Elkhorn.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Some runs at Moonlight Basin do have some rocks.

Note: this photo is not Elkhorn.
    No, but this guy is an "expert" skier, so no doubt this run was foremost in his mind when he beatered.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I am not understanding this, where are the Boulders he got all smashed up on? Was the coverage different at the time he crashed? was the run open with Boulders in the middle of a very light blue groomer?

I just cannot associate the injuries described with the run pictured here

Was it an early season powder day? = Just read the original post again, Feb 2012 (REALLY)
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

You can really see where they installed the boulders in the second photo.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Never skied at moonlight but on the map it looks like the upper part of Elkhorn is black and crosses a switchback cattrack a couple of times. Maybe the accident was there. I can't imagine a cattrack with rocks on both edges crossing a groomer without some kind of warning, or a boulder field in the middle of a groomer, so obviously there's more going on here than the article lets on--like the upper part of Elkhorn isn't a groomer or something.
    Any moonlight regulars care to elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    How much for just one rib?
    That depends on the woman.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Any moonlight regulars care to elaborate on this?
    Yeah, Elkhorn starts with a cat track away from the top of the Iron Horse lift for maybe 100 feet or so. The cat track stops at the top of Elkhorn. Almost everyone stops here because the view is so gorgeuos.

Then you drop into Elkhorn, which is at that point a solid intermediate, about 75-100 feet wide, and is normally groomed, but not always. Any one who can ski a Blue Square at any resort can handle this section. As the run desends, it widens up quite a bit, stays a consistent pitch straight down the fall line. I do not recall any cat tracks crossing the run in this section, but I would have to hike it in the summer to be 100 percent sure. (maybe I will go up there this weekend and look). This section does get bumped up in the afternoon.

After this intermediate section, you come to a cat track, the one in the photo I posted. After the cat track it becomes a VERY easy Green Dot run, as can be seen in the photo.

That is the only cat track I remember anywhere on Elkhorn.

I have skied Elkhorn hundreds of times over the years, and I have never seen a "boulder" anywhere on the run, and the one cat track is the only one I remember. It is very easy to see the cat track as you approach it.

Elkhorn is popular with advancing beginners looking to try a Blue Square run, because the pitch is consistent and straight down the fall line.

The idea that an expert skier could get hurt on this run is a fucking joke.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I'm an expert skier. Most of my falls happen when I'm just standing or stopping. Shit happens. When you blame it on the ski area, that is the joke.

I have skied Elkhorn hundreds of times over the years, and I have never seen a "boulder" anywhere on the run, and the one cat track is the only one I remember. It is very easy to see the cat track as you approach it... this run is a fucking joke.
    The defense would to call call Harry to the stand as its expert witness.

Be sure to charge them $5,000 a day for your expert testimony.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'm an expert skier. Most of my falls happen when I'm just standing or stopping. Shit happens. When you blame it on the ski area, that is the joke.
    Oh, I agree 100 percent.

But when I first read the OP I was sure this guy was suing over rocks in The Headwaters or on the North Summit Snowfield. Those are both extreme areas and are well marked as having hazards and such. North Summit requires stopping at the Patrol Shack at the Summit for a briefing.

But boulders on Elkhorn ? This guy's lawsuit is complete bullshit.

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with Moonlight Basin. I just live in Big Sky and I love the vibe at Moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash

Attention Moonlight Suits: What he said ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

I concur. I can see the trial now...

Harry: "Ladies and gentleman of the jury. I would like to submit to you Exhibit "A" for review. A TGR thread containing overwhelming evidence for the jury to witness that the lawsuit today is entirely unsubstantiated, and that Plaintiff IS indeed a douchebag of the highest order. Thank you, your honor. I rest my case."

After checking in on this thread a number of times, the title is starting to read as a destination .... " honey, whaddaya say we pack a few sandwiches, jump in the car and head on up to Douchebag Falls? ... I'll call the Johnson's"

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    After checking in on this thread a number of times, the title is starting to read as a destination .... " honey, whaddaya say we pack a few sandwiches, jump in the car and head on up to Douchebag Falls? ... I'll lube my Johnson
    FIFY

iscariot

North Summit requires stopping at the Patrol Shack at the Summit for a briefing..
    What? You guys ski commando?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hahahahaha.

Perhaps they've termed moguls as "imported boulders" in the lawsuit.

Yeah, Elkhorn starts with a cat track away from the top of the Iron Horse lift for maybe 100 feet or so. The cat track stops at the top of Elkhorn. Almost everyone stops here because the view is so gorgeuos.

Then you drop into Elkhorn, which is at that point a solid intermediate, about 75-100 feet wide, and is normally groomed, but not always. Any one who can ski a Blue Square at any resort can handle this section. As the run desends, it widens up quite a bit, stays a consistent pitch straight down the fall line. I do not recall any cat tracks crossing the run in this section, but I would have to hike it in the summer to be 100 percent sure. (maybe I will go up there this weekend and look). This section does get bumped up in the afternoon.

After this intermediate section, you come to a cat track, the one in the photo I posted. After the cat track it becomes a VERY easy Green Dot run, as can be seen in the photo.

That is the only cat track I remember anywhere on Elkhorn.

I have skied Elkhorn hundreds of times over the years, and I have never seen a "boulder" anywhere on the run, and the one cat track is the only one I remember. It is very easy to see the cat track as you approach it.

Elkhorn is popular with advancing beginners looking to try a Blue Square run, because the pitch is consistent and straight down the fall line.

So maybe the guy was lost--thought he was on Elkhorn and was actually on one of the expert runs. Wonder if he was checked for alcohol and drugs.

Reviving this old thread to let you all know this case was dismissed this week. Tried to attach the order dismissing the case but it was too big.

I hope the fucker is counter sued for legal expenses.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

anesthesiologist? I hope they did a comprehensive drug screen
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcIntosh View Post
    Reviving this old thread to let you all know this case was dismissed this week. Tried to attach the order dismissing the case but it was too big.
    Link where we can read the order?

Good to know!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.