Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2438
    The Wilderness Act expressly prohibits any “landing of aircraft” and any “installation” within designated wilderness “except as necessary to meet minimum requirements for the administration of the area” as wilderness. 16 U.S.C. § 1133©.

This has been used to collect and tag wildlife in the past, but not recreational skiing
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    New Mayflower Mountain Resort west of Jordanelle. Thoughts? Sorry if this has been posted already and I missed it.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46616589...coming-to-utah
    Meh, it's a contaminated mine site on private property adjacent to a megaresort.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Probably not the best location for this but since we're at a low point in the 'Satch thread for many reasons...
    X-post from mountainproject.com, see here.

Someone has been landing a private helicopter in Lone Peak cirque a few times this summer (and late spring apparently). Witnesses saw passengers get out to climb a route before flying out.
    The tail of the helo is covered, obscuring the registration number. This is causing a minor uproar since, you know, wilderness and all, plus the fact that everyone else hoofing up the 5500' approach to get there.
    A bored mp.com member did some digging and most likely identified a BYU professor (?) and ring leader of an insta douche-horde (my interpretation) as the pilot. Talk about reporting this to the FS and FAA ensued.

Discuss?
    Holy shit. I'm surprised no one has put a rock through the windshield. Guy deserves to lose his license and be punished to the full extent of the law.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-21-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Holy shit. I'm surprised no one has put a rock through the windshield. Guy deserves to lose his license and be punished to the full extent of the law.
    Note the windshield/glass cover in the mountainproject thread lol. And I agree, pull his license for landing in a wilderness area for anything short of a real emergency (which of course this wasn't).

Good point. That would make the hike out a happy experience

Those mtnproject guys are great detectives, figured out the helo, the owner and the pilot as well as their instagrams. Checking out the intagrams I've never witnessed that level of doucheieness before. It is stunning. The helo pilot actually has an instafuck post bragging about not having to hike into the LPC. Let em know how you feel!

instagram.com/p/Bj-jhmoF10U…

In other news....

Have you driven LCC since the flood. There is still water pouring across the road in several spots. My understanding is it's not snowmelt, the flash flood opened up a spring on the N side of the road. I was told the resorts have asked for over a million $ from the feds the close off the spring. Hope they get it done before winter or we will all need to upgrade to studded snowtires....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

That's crazy about the spring. Haven't been up there since but likely will this weekend.

And yeah I guessed it was that pilot right away as I'd seen engagement pictures (actually from Caroline Gleich lol) with the chopper landing on some Wasatch peaks that I suspect was not permitted/legit.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    That's crazy about the spring. Haven't been up there since but likely will this weekend.

And yeah I guessed it was that pilot right away as I'd seen engagement pictures (actually from Caroline Gleich lol) with the chopper landing on some Wasatch peaks that I suspect was not permitted/legit.
    Da fuck? Opening up a new spring? That's crazy. Probably dislodged huge amounts of choss that were sitting on top of a seep that never managed to see the light of day before and is now happily coursing above ground. The road is definitely going to get more sassy this winter...

Re: heli-douche, the MP.com peeps tend to dive into things like rabid dogs go after roadkill. A few of them are militant enough that I wouldn't be surprised is something actually gets done about the guy. They're already figuring out who his sponsors are which tends to lead to some spectacular results (compared to notifying the authorities). As far as CG goes, welp, we got a thread for that already!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Re: heli-douche, the MP.com peeps tend to dive into things like rabid dogs go after roadkill. A few of them are militant enough that I wouldn't be surprised is something actually gets done about the guy. They're already figuring out who his sponsors are which tends to lead to some spectacular results (compared to notifying the authorities). As far as CG goes, welp, we got a thread for that already!
    I think it's bullshit and it makes me sad that people are able to break the laws of the land and air with little to no reprecussions. I hope the Gallard brothers seem some kind of punishment for their actions. Its unfortunate that someone who is a BYU geology professor and considers himself an "ultra-athlete" can't respect the land nor can't get up a 6 mile approach without a helicopter.

I submitted a complaint to the FAA about the helicopter and have considered contacting BYU.

Contact BYU?
    That would probably give his peers a good laugh.

Envy, or just a sense of civic duty
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Contact BYU?
    That would probably give his peers a good laugh.

Envy, or just a sense of civic duty
    I hear ya. Seems silly and petty. Civil outrage can easily cost people their jobs/sponsorship though, especially when you're a geography professor shitting on mountain tops.

Is emerald lake watershed? There is a video of him landing his helo on an ice sheet and swimming in emerald lake.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Trefin View Post
    Is emerald lake watershed? There is a video of him landing his helo on an ice sheet and swimming in emerald lake.

Serious question: Did people do shit like this before social media? Total fuckage of society.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Serious question: Did people do shit like this before social media?
    If a tree falls in the forest...
    People did all manners of dumb shit BITD, a small number of others became aware of it, and an even smaller number were inspired by it. One asshole could only breed a couple more assholes which kept the population under control.
    Now every turd with a cell phone and a bit of IG proficiency can become an influencer and inspire hordes of like-minded twats to mimic their idiotic behavior. With enough followers come the sponsors and the self-perpetuating cycle is established. One asshole with exposure breeds hundreds of other assholes who descend upon every tagged place like a fucking plague of GoPro-equipped locusts, leading to
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Total fuckage of society.
    You called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefin View Post

Emerald lake on Timp? Not watershed, but most definitely Wilderness. Wow, the gall of this fucking guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Emerald lake on Timp? Not watershed, but most definitely Wilderness. Wow, the gall of this fucking guy.
    Apparently someone on MP message him then spoke with him on the phone. He denies any involvement and is apparently a great guy very respectful of all the things. He also claims to know who the real culprit is and expects him to get a ticket (?) soon. I'd note that the MP forums are frequented mostly by eternal optimists and profound idiots so this should all be taken with a grain of salt. Can't imagine dude would admit he is the pilot when confronted on the phone...

I guess the post about emerald lake didn’t have the helo in it, I got it mixed up with his other posts. but after reading the mp post his brother and him do still seem like pieces of shit. In one article linked he kept landing his helo in his neighborhood and his town had to pass a law to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    This kind of knowledge should be put on a billboard off Wasatch Blvd.
    It would sure be better than a picture of Tanner Hall hanging over the 7-Eleven at the base of BCC. Oh shit, I believe I just dated myself.

tanner hall is dead
    long live tanner hall
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It would sure be better than a picture of Tanner Hall hanging over the 7-Eleven at the base of BCC. Oh shit, I believe I just dated myself.
    Soon this'll cross over into the Caroline G thread

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Oh shit, I believe I just dated myself.
    I've been dating myself since my early teens...

Wait whut?

Carry on
    Bunny Don't Surf

I’ve waited a few days before posting this here, but I figure there are some mags that might know this legend. If you’ve been an Alta local during the last 30 years there’s probably one lifty that left a lasting impression, for his great attitude and antics at the bottom of the lift. I’m referring to Mike Altman known as Alti. He hasn’t worked lifts in a few years but this winter he was at that Albion grill. Unfortunately Alti passed away in his sleep a few days ago. His positive vibes will be missed. Probably no better lifty ever anywhere at calling front row with his famous yelling of “let’s go skiing”. RIP Mike “Alti” Altman.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’ve waited a few days before posting this here, but I figure there are some mags that might know this legend. If you’ve been an Alta local during the last 30 years there’s probably one lifty that left a lasting impression, for his great attitude and antics at the bottom of the lift. I’m referring to Mike Altman known as Alti. He hasn’t worked lifts in a few years but this winter he was at that Albion grill. Unfortunately Alti passed away in his sleep a few days ago. His positive vibes will be missed. Probably no better lifty ever anywhere at calling front row with his famous yelling of “let’s go skiing”. RIP Mike “Alti” Altman.

Been meaning to post this. Heard about it a couple days back also. Great guy. Sad how things go. Alta lost another brother. RIP Alti.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post

Too bad, always enjoyed his do it my way or take off attitude. He had his issues, oh hell, demons but God I liked him. Favorite story from a few years ago. A 90 year old skier named Naomi (rip Naomi) would be in the singles line and Alti would call her out for first chair each morning she was there. Powder day and he calls out Naomi for first chair, rides by herself. Somebody starting griping about a quad having only one rider, Alti quickly shut him down and by the time he was done the guy was lucky the maze didn’t kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    I've been dating myself since my early teens...

Wait whut?

Carry on
    Late bloomer, eh?

ETA: Oh, fuck, came here to fire off that mediocre retort and skipped over the news about Alti initially. That's awful news. Sold him many a can of beer in my time in Alta. He always had an extra minute to stop and chat about the skiing, and always put a gratuitously large tip in the jar for selling him a few pocket beers. RIP

Despite his issues, Alti had an absolutely incredible memory. Maybe he was making it all up, but he could remember where he was skiing, what the conditions were like, who he was with, and what happened, on any given day. Always enjoyed hearing his morning call.