Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any utah home builders on here?

Hey, and body on here build homes in utah? I’ve got a couple questions for a person with real knowledge, not a dentist who had a house built.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Why don't you just ask the questions, unless you're doing illegal shit?
    And if they're stupid ones, then at least the rest of us can have some fun at your expense.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Well fine

We are looking at a lot, questions are specific about access, cost per square foot for a specific local, couple of code questions etc.

It’s pretty cool with the exception of I can put skins on in my driveway right now but wouldn’t be able to at this house.

Only advice I have, from being in the business, don't plan on building anything for a while.

Well, cost per square foot is increasing about 5% per day right now. Or more. If you can find someone who will even give you a quote because the materials market is absolutely impossible to get anyone to have a firm price and schedule on anything that's not on their shelf today.

I'd wait at least a year for this frenzy to die down. The building market is absolutely bonkers.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

My guess is: the project isn’t designed yet?
    By the time that happens, the market is likely to change some more...

Post up your questions — if someone local can’t answer, maybe a remote expert can guide where you can ask & get answers more clearly

Just getting the permits will take a year. You good.

I bet benny will have some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    gold
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm here for the fastfred posts.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Only advice I have, from being in the business, don't plan on building anything for a while.
    This. And actually talk to some builders about what you want. They will have already told you that they are booked out for the next 2-3 years. (Those are the well known and reputable builders in your area) You may find a builder of questionable ethics, morals and sketchy reputation who will ask for a $10k-$25k "down payment" that will disappear with your money. So be on the lookout for those builders.

If you find a builder that you will give you the time of day and actually walk the lot with you, that will give you some really good indication of what's possible with your lot.

And it's painfully expensive to build right now. I will find out tomorrow just how much additional pain I am in for...But I got my lot at the perfect timing.

A good architect is also worth their weight in what you will spend for the plans. Or, to save money you can always ask about off the shelf plans from a builder. There's a lot of good builders who will show you a catalogue of prior work.

Good luck
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

There's a big labor shortage in my area. I'd wait for the pay to stay home money to run out, or more people to cross the border to alleviate some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm here for the fastfred posts.
    He's with Benny hanging out in front of the new Breck TGR outpost.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    He's on the move again. And it appears, according to this thread, he just might be able to swing by for a site visit.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ht-now/page419

The lot is beyond 2 existing lots with a slit of land right between the 2 driveways. On the map overlays it looks as though an older existing access point is slightly on the neighbor to the lefts property while a bend in their driveway crosses into the lot we are looking at. The question is, are there rules regarding existing access points or if it turns out that the overlay is correct do we have to add a basically adjacent driveway to the access that already exists????

Also, our house would be below the street level, how does one access sewer in that case?

I get cost to build is climbing and such but what is the average for a high end home right now? Not an imported granite tub from Tuscany kind of build but a luxury home.

The code issue is (maybe not the right phrasing) how large a shop/garage is allowed. We would like a 4 car with one bay large enough for our sprinter, deep enough for the raft and trailer and a shop big enough for bikes/skis etc. also a single level one bedroom mother on law above said garage.

Keep getting interrupted by damn work

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The lot is beyond 2 existing lots with a slit of land right between the 2 driveways. On the map overlays it looks as though an older existing access point is slightly on the neighbor to the lefts property while a bend in their driveway crosses into the lot we are looking at. The question is, are there rules regarding existing access points or if it turns out that the overlay is correct do we have to add a basically adjacent driveway to the access that already exists????

Also, our house would be below the street level, how does one access sewer in that case?

I get cost to build is climbing and such but what is the average for a high end home right now? Not an imported granite tub from Tuscany kind of build but a luxury home.

The code issue is (maybe not the right phrasing) how large a shop/garage is allowed. We would like a 4 car with one bay large enough for our sprinter, deep enough for the raft and trailer and a shop big enough for bikes/skis etc. also a single level one bedroom mother on law above said garage.

1) "Flag lot" is what you're describing. Your local zoning will have explicit rules for how those are developed. You likely have to build out the access if you want to have access by rights. But a legal agreement with the neighbors may work too.

2) If sewer is in fact higher, you will need a pump. For obvious reasons, that isn't ideal.

3) "Zoning code" will have the "development standards." These will include setbacks and FAR, which will describe the limitations to how much bulk may be built on your lot and where. You can go see your building department for assistance, or an experienced designer. It may take a little work to come to the right answer of full development potential; it may not just be an instant answer. Flag lots can be interesting sometimes for the way the setbacks intersect...just depends on geometry [& land form too: if half the site is a cliff, then that doesn't really help anything if that's where the development lines point towards building]

Re: sewer - Until you know how deep the main you're trying to connect to is (and if it's even in the street), it's not clear if your sewer would be running downhill. If the main is higher than your ground floor, you'll need to build a lift station, probably $2-3k installed.

re: costs - I'd blindly guess $350-450/sqft at a minimum for Park City. I'd also say it's impossible to really know in the current market.

Re: code issue - Attached or detached garage? City/County planning should be able to give you information on limits of developed sqft/lot sqft, max developed footprint, or maximum out building size. I haven't heard of any locality caring if the house living space to garage space ratios.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

You could potentially buy an access easement depending on how you want your driveway or build your own. If you want a general idea on your garage questions, call local P&Z and they can either direct you where to look it up or even walk you through it over the phone. I did this recently on a similar idea for a garage and found that I could get the square footage and ADU I wanted but due to some quirky setback rules, I'd have to build two separate garages 10' apart for one allowable setback or build one big garage with a deeper setback which require taking a room on the back of our house. Rules are dumb but we've shelved the garage project until the market is a little more forgiving on building. The P&Z folks were very friendly and knowledgeable on the phone but I'm assuming they usually get yelled at because of the weird rules and I didn't yell...just please and thank yous.

PM Art for urinal recs and nice sinks that have good angles of attack.

I personally like this one, and certainly watch out for urinal shortages coming up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_1588xN.2267608735_drs7.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	374572

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Re: code issue - Attached or detached garage? City/County planning should be able to give you information on limits of developed sqft/lot sqft, max developed footprint, or maximum out building size. I haven't heard of any locality caring if the house living space to garage space ratios.
    This was the weird part of the rules here. I could build a 1999 sqft single story garage and be fine. If I put the ADU in a 2nd story, it counted against footprint space for setback rules because anthing over 2k requires a deeper setback. So, PZ said my way around that was a 999 sqft garage and a second 999 sqft garage 10 ft away with the 999 sqft ADU on top of one of them so no one structure was over 2k requiring deeper setbacks. He also said I could seek variance but it would be tricky being in a historical district and the backlog in their dept. All moot right now anyway.

Flag lot may require a fire suppression system for the house in Summit Co. Or a hydrant at the end of the driveway. Not super familiar with their rules but know they have adopted a version of the WUI code.

The sewer in the MIL's house exits about 8' above the slab in the basement so that it's uphill from the Main. That means there are currently no drains in the basement. It would take a pump and grinder to change that, which would cost around what DJ quoted. The guy I spoke with said it's relatively common in our area isn't an issue for a couple drains. I imagine things get more complicated when it's for a whole house. Is it size that upgrades pump+grinder to lift station, or do they call it that so they don't have to mention the word "grinder" when talking about where your shit goes?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

You can typically get an idea of the depth of the mainline by looking at the publicly available GIS data if they publish it online. Look at the depth to flow line at the manholes (nodes).

Or knock on the neighbors door and ask if they have to pump. I’ve been surprised on some lots recently how deep they put the mainline to avoid pumps.

Liberal use of laxatives could negate the use of a grinder.

Any builder you talk to will quote you a cost plus plan. No builder is going to risk taking it on the chin with the volatility in material costs these days with a fixed cost contract. Or if they do quote fixed cost plus the 15% standard markup, you are going to have sticker shock as they pad the $hit out of the quote.

As others have said, flag lots are tricky. The build circle should be fairly standard, but the set backs could end up being a bit wonky. Out here, you can go 20% outside the build circle of the lot and usually not have any issues with the permit approval process.

But you really need to get some local recommendations for builders in your area. If you have someone you know in the RE biz, they can provide some insight in who is good, and who is so-so, and who to steer clear of.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch