Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Clipless Mountain Bike Shoe Reccomendations

The only clipless shoe I've owned (older middle of the road shimano-reccomended by bike shop) is on it's last leg and looking to maybe pick up something on sale/closeout this fall. somewhat overwhelmed by the selection out there. will def try on before I buy and don't consider myself too picky but am just looking for a starting point. hoping to keep it under $120 or so unless I find a sweet deal on a great shoe?
    ride mostly xc in the Wasatch on a trance 650. small ankles. med arch. don't race or hike-a-bike too much. not sure what other info is relevant...
    any reccs?

Shimano AM 45 quite popular around here. I've gone to flats myself, but would look into these otherwise.

I've been using the AM45 for a few seasons now. It's comfortable and great for not-narrow feet, but its definitively not a snug, lightweight XC shoe.

The new Shimano AM shoes will be out with in about a month. They all look awesome you'll probably be able to get a pair for around $100.

Shimano M089 for $120 would be a solid trail shoe.

The AM45 is a great, popular shoe, but it is kinda heavy and hot. Not my first choice for everyday trail riding.

M162
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Recently bought some Specialized 2fo cliplites. Love them.

Just grabbed some cheap NorthWaves off S&C bargain bin for $70 that fit your bill. Great in Tahoe in similar conditions and good tread for my BART rides. I as had some leather velcro Specialized shoes that were great and the current models are nice if you can find one in your size on sale.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

not sure which model but I have been rocking same specialized clipless shoes for at least 7 or 8 yrs and they have taken a beating and are still going strong

On related note, I'm expanding my clipin shoe quiver to include something that ain't mesh oriented but more towards 45F rides in damp pnw. Any recommendations? 5 Ten kestrel looks promising but that sole pattern isn't great for walking on mud. I already have WPB winter shoes...looking for something in between a summer and winter spd shoe.

Like my 510 shoes. Good grip and comfortable for my small ankles
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    On related note, I'm expanding my clipin shoe quiver to include something that ain't mesh oriented but more towards 45F rides in damp pnw. Any recommendations? 5 Ten kestrel looks promising but that sole pattern isn't great for walking on mud. I already have WPB winter shoes...looking for something in between a summer and winter spd shoe.
    That Shimano AM45 is a great shitty weather shoe. No vents and a lace cover seal it up. I know a lot of guys who use them as a light duty fat bike/winter shoe. They are being replaced by a new model this fall, so you should be able to find them on closeout somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Like my 510 shoes. Good grip and comfortable for my small ankles
    which ones? heard the kestrals are pretty good but a little pricey.

I'd suggest that you get one that has a rachet as the upper closure, rather than three velcro tabs. The velcro wears out faster than the shoe usually, and the rachet keeps it closed. I got some of these: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.p...color_code=027

because I got a good deal on last year's. They dry really fast after a creek crossing too.

Been happy with the 2 shoes I've had from Pearl Izumi. Fit well and mine have lasted a long time. I've been using the X-project which are a bit spendier but the X-Alp endure IV could fit the bill.

I got impact low for $85 off backcountry after codes and active junky. There is a freeride 10.5 pair in gear swap for $65
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    but the X-Alp endure IV could fit the bill.
    I picked up a pair the X-Alp Enduro III last fall and love them. I think the III has a better tread pattern than the IV, but the wife has the IV and likes them. You can still find the III around, typically at closeout prices but sizes are a crapshoot.

I've got the giro terraduro's. Love them. Great compromise between stiffness and hiking performance.

BUT, the soles completely separated from the shoe after a year of heavy use. Apparently this quite common. So hard to recommend them based on this poor reliability. I did buy another pair as bc.com discounted the new pair as half ass warranty attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The Kestrel is really good. great protection and warmth from the non-mesh toe so that fits your bill.

The sole does indeed suck for hiking in wet slippery stuff but otherwise really nice. The soft rubber does wear and I had a pair warrantied for the sole peeling away. Five Ten were great and covered shipping both ways.

What is a deal breaker is the one Boa dial. It may work for some but i have no idea who it could work for, really, unless all your rides were under an hour. It was simply impossible for me to get it tight enough from top to bottom without extreme discomfort and to avoid the discomfort I had it too loose. It just does not work with only the one dial. With two it likely would.

I have very narrow feet and cannot imagine anyone with anything other than very narrow feet having any success even getting the Kestrels on their feet.

The giro Terra Dura's have a non mesh toe if I recall and those are very well regarded with more closures and a wider fit. Should do well in chillier weather.

To the OP, the new this year Shimano M range are all very good from the 089 to the 162 to the 200. And all should be available cheap now.

I have also found it's tough to go far wrong with MTB shoes. They are all pretty similar save for the new breed of "enduro" shoes (clipless that look like freeride/park shoes).

Uhhhhh, Johnny Sizzler, how can u say the Kestrel is really good when u listed multiple faults with them? I too ran them for a few weeks, poor execution. Grip is only good for rocky conditions, not PNW slick. Sole came off on both shoes, poor fit with the one Boa.

I personally think Specialized does a good job with their shoes. The new Cliplite looks really good although it might have the same grip issue as the Kestrel in the PNW. The Rime would be better in this aspect but the toe box is a little smaller. Just a couple toe lugs on these types of shoes would be of great benefit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Just grabbed some cheap NorthWaves off S&C bargain bin for $70 that fit your bill. Great in Tahoe in similar conditions and good tread for my BART rides. I as had some leather velcro Specialized shoes that were great and the current models are nice if you can find one in your size on sale.
    which Northwaves did you get? looks like i could get them pretty cheap at bc.com w discount.

Northwave Scorpius SRS. I am usually a 44, bought a 44, but in thin socks, they verge on being too big in the heel and fully clamped fit tight. So I say they are true to size but i have a prominent heel and without a medium thick sock heel, I feel a little play. Maybe this will change once they are broken in more.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    That Shimano AM45 is a great shitty weather shoe. No vents and a lace cover seal it up. I know a lot of guys who use them as a light duty fat bike/winter shoe. They are being replaced by a new model this fall, so you should be able to find them on closeout somewhere.
    Mavic Scree

x3 on Pearl Izumi...other than running shoes (which they are relatively new into) I have never been disappointed w/ something from PI.

I'll give another vote for the Pearl Izumi's. I can't remember the exact model, but it's some X-Alp. Super comfy. Pedal well, if you are not looking for ultimate racing performance, and the hinge point in the forefoot works really well for walking. Durability has also been top notch.

M162
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.