What low-tide ski do I want..?

Short list is:
    Mantra 102
    Mantra M5
    Bonafide
    Mindbender 99ti

Mainly ski at Crystal and Baker. DD is a 188 Prior Husume which I LOVE except for liveliness on groomers and edge hold on ice.

Not looking for a groomer zoomer per se but something to ski for the 30% of the time that the Husume isn't the right ski...

Not afraid of a traditional mountpoint(like the Husume) but I also feel comfortable farther forward on my Protests and Ravens(both mounted on the line).

Cheers!

Definitely the M102 over the M5 for western skiing. I had M5s and liked them but switched to the 102s this year for a little more power in the chop. They edge equally well IMO. Haven't skied the other two you are looking at.

The Husume isn’t that much wider than the M102 so I would go a bit narrower for the variation.
    The mindbender 99ti is really good and I’ve heard the new bonafide is sick, although you might want to get it in a shorter length.

I also really like the Jskis masterblaster for this spot, it blends a more fun shape with some traditional aspects and is a blast in crappy icy conditions.

While I have only been on them a few days, the M102 is quickly becoming my go-to DD for Stevens Pass. It has the multi-radius sidecut and the M5 doesn’t. It is amazing on firm snow, but so much better off trail than the 102 waist and minimal rocker profile would suggest. It would make a great Baker low tide ski. Haven’t skied the MB99Ti yet. Own previous versions of the Bonafide, but I’ve always thought that was just a wide groomer zoomer.

I think the M102 is one of the best high-performance, all-Mtn skis I have tried in a long time, especially for the PNW.

For a western skier, couple that with a fatter/deep day ski and you could be dialed with a two ski resort quiver. However, that seems way too boring.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Mantra 102
    Mantra M5
    Bonafide
    Mindbender 99ti
    They are all great, just close your eyes and put your finger on one.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    this is correct. I’ll just say as someone who just got a pair of bodacious the quality of blizzard and/or volkl is evident right away- which is probably just a meaningless thing to say- all skis these days are probably pretty great, but something about a new pair from either of those brands always leaves me saying wow.

Ok end of jerking off two massive ski companies
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Seriously.

I only own one of these skis, but I've skied them all and they all rip. The Mindbender 99ti and new Bonafide prefer slightly higher speeds before they come alive, the Völkls are slightly more versatile at slower speeds. Once you get rolling, they are all precise, stable and rail like a train.

I'm super picky, but I'd be happy with any of them.

Seriously.

I only own one of these skis, but I've skied them all and they all rip. The Mindbender 99ti and new Bonafide prefer slightly higher speeds before they come alive, the Völkls are slightly more versatile at slower speeds. Once you get rolling, they are all precise, stable and rail like a train.

I'm super picky, but I'd be happy with any of them.
    Nitpicking here but which would you give the edge on ice/really firm hardpack? Which would you give the edge in moguls?

Are you guys sizing down in these skis or skiing true to size? I'm about 6'1 175lbs... Typically ski skis from 184-188

I love my kastle bmx 108 and also older Corvus. Not a dynastar fan after nearly killing myself at the bird on LPs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

201 stockli DP Pros have been the shit at the bird so far.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Nitpicking here but which would you give the edge on ice/really firm hardpack? Which would you give the edge in moguls?

Are you guys sizing down in these skis or skiing true to size? I'm about 6'1 175lbs... Typically ski skis from 184-188
    Ice and firm hardpack, I give the Bonafide and M5 a slight edge, but none of them are wimpy. I don't ski moguls, but I don't think any of them is particularly suited to bumps - too stout in the tips and tails.

I did size down in the Bonafide 97 - 177 - my daily driver is the 188 Rustler 11.

Ice and firm hardpack, I give the Bonafide and M5 a slight edge, but none of them are wimpy. I don't ski moguls, but I don't think any of them is particularly suited to bumps - too stout in the tips and tails.

I did size down in the Bonafide 97 - 177 - my daily driver is the 188 Rustler 11.
    I got a Kore 99 in 189 for this spot, coming off a Monster 88 the Kore has the same power on piste, lots of effective edge and a traditional mount to lean into the tips. The Kore has a nice amount of tip and rocker for float without it getting washy. Very maneuverable in tight terrain, skis short and the lighter weight helps. Damp for its weight. I preferred this ski over the M5, and I’d run it on a dry baker day with the cue ball moguls.

I agree. If I wanted a good all around ski in any of those models I’d run a 180ish and I normally am 183-188. I’d do the Bonafide as well, and agree whole heartedly that none would be overly fun in the bumps.