Page 75 of 197 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 4901
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They're for covering 50 miles of playa in 100 degree heat at Burning Man.

Plus, I'm old, mutherfukker!
    Legit!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ha, old is as old does.

Get yer head on straight young whipper snapper.

Just the other day on one of my get back in shape tow path rides I had an ultralight bike packer dude get on my wheel to draft. Hauled him several miles, hitting 20 mph on the way, to where I crossed the bridge and rumbled up the hill to head home. He was happy for my ebike.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This contraption has appeared in my garage.
    Curious to know how this has been going for the Toast family ............

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Oh man some of what's in the pipe for the near future is pretty hot. Yeah this is a teaser and has to stay that way for a little while but if you're going to be wanting a long travel, long range, all day ride, big boy bike there are going to be a few great choices soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Curious to know how this has been going for the Toast family ............

Aside from fucking around in the yard, I actually haven't ridden it yet. Keep meaning to, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Wife likes it... sort of. She's recovering from a brain injury, and long story short, she has to keep her heart rate low. On the climbs, the motor does its thing. She can easily drop me without breaking a sweat. And for our normal rides (say, 15 miles, 2500 vert) she only goes through around 1/4 of the battery.

But on the descents, she definitely struggles a bit. The weight of the bike is super noticeable, and on anything tricky, she has to work a lot to keep the bike reigned in. Some of that is that it's a 29er that's longer than her normal bike (her analog bike is an sb6), but most of its the weight. Most of the ebike- legal trails are a bit rutty from motos, and sheer says the bike is significantly more work in those situations than her regular bike.

So overall, it's more or less what you'd expect. Great on the climbs. Less great on the descents. A stronger rider would almost certainly adapt more easily, but clearly there's a trade off.

Interesting. I find my 180 mm travel e bike really great on the descents.
    Weight is not noticeable, except it accelerates faster.
    I feel that I'm getting an upper body workout, but mainly because my rides are twice the downhill.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Just the other day on one of my get back in shape tow path rides I had an ultralight bike packer dude get on my wheel to draft. Hauled him several miles, hitting 20 mph on the way, to where I crossed the bridge and rumbled up the hill to head home. He was happy for my ebike.
    ha- I got to help a rider out the other day too.
    Super headwind on my way home and was able to help a guy on the bike path draft for a windy mile section
    #ebikehelpers
    skid luxury

A stronger rider would almost certainly adapt more easily, but clearly there's a trade off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Interesting. I find my 180 mm travel e bike really great on the descents.
    Weight is not noticeable, except it accelerates faster.
    I feel that I'm getting an upper body workout, but mainly because my rides are twice the downhill.
    Oh. You mean you’re a stronger rider who can adapt more easily?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Oh. You mean you’re a stronger rider who can adapt more easily?
    No, i don't muscle it, just let it flow.

Just the way i ski with heavy stuff skis.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Oh man some of what's in the pipe for the near future is pretty hot. Yeah this is a teaser and has to stay that way for a little while but if you're going to be wanting a long travel, long range, all day ride, big boy bike there are going to be a few great choices soon.
    #returnofthetruax

Electric Bike Thread

Aside from fucking around in the yard, I actually haven't ridden it yet. Keep meaning to, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Wife likes it... sort of. She's recovering from a brain injury, and long story short, she has to keep her heart rate low. On the climbs, the motor does its thing. She can easily drop me without breaking a sweat. And for our normal rides (say, 15 miles, 2500 vert) she only goes through around 1/4 of the battery.

But on the descents, she definitely struggles a bit. The weight of the bike is super noticeable, and on anything tricky, she has to work a lot to keep the bike reigned in. Some of that is that it's a 29er that's longer than her normal bike (her analog bike is an sb6), but most of its the weight. Most of the ebike- legal trails are a bit rutty from motos, and sheer says the bike is significantly more work in those situations than her regular bike.

So overall, it's more or less what you'd expect. Great on the climbs. Less great on the descents. A stronger rider would almost certainly adapt more easily, but clearly there's a trade off.
    Great perspective, thanks for sharing, totally makes sense. Kind of on par with our experience, but we’re charging pretty hard so mitigating the factors felt by mrs Toast. For sure the big hoops and wheelbase are a massive change. The wheelbase on the Levo is significantly longer than our downhill bikes!
    FWIW, mrs jm2e has 27.5” x 2.8” on hers and likes it way better than the 29” x 2.6” setup.

However many are in a shit ton.

So I finally found my battery capacity/mileage. Fortunately it pooped out on the 33% hill just 100yds from my house. Ended up getting 38-39 miles on the dash with most of that in PAS 3 and PAS 5 on the short but steep hills around my place. The bulk was relatively flat going on what is known as the C&O Towpath. On the down river leg today I used PAS 2 which used very little battery. Been wanting to see what it would do so I can have an idea of the range I can expect.

Pretty happy with the results, my battery is 48V with 14.1 amp hour rating. My motor is rated at 750W max but I have only seen it up around 650W on the dash. It is a hub drive Bafang unit. I definitely notice the power drop off as the battery wound down.
    watch out for snakes

First ride. Did a couple laps of the new eeb zone. I think theyre 700 vertical feet laps. All in eco with a bud on his regular bike. Used one of the five bars. 540w battery should do me for this years testingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190809_122536.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	290750

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1086.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	290751

Someones sad hes picked the wrong bike. Not too bright either, thinks theres a competition going on

Ebikes are a shit load of fun, just like his mom.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    First ride. Did a couple laps of the new eeb zone. I think theyre 700 vertical feet laps. All in eco with a bud on his regular bike. Used one of the five bars. 540w battery should do me for this years testingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190809_122536.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	290750
    Nice looking bike. I actually think the assist is more natural feeling in trail mode rather than eco. I need to make the time to get mine out for a long ride and find it's limits.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1086.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	290751
    Haha

Thanks, yes i definitely have to check that out. I thought i heard something about trail mode being a little more intuitive. I did a bit but it was a chill test . Out of shape me in eco same pace as nornal riding bud thats been getting after it. I have a feeling ill be working less now

It's not about more assist it's strictly a feel thing. In eco it still feels like you're lugging a brick up the hill until you're at a pretty high cadence whereas in trail it helps down to super low input levels so you can "ratchet" through techy stuff. Boost mode is silly unless it's really steep and you're feeling weak/lazy. In fact it can be more of a hindrance in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It's not about more assist it's strictly a feel thing. In eco it still feels like you're lugging a brick up the hill until you're at a pretty high cadence whereas in trail it helps down to super low input levels so you can "ratchet" through techy stuff. Boost mode is silly unless it's really steep and you're feeling weak/lazy. In fact it can be more of a hindrance in many cases.
    Ok i see. Good explanation. Thanks. I guess eco was ok today with it being ez to spin a decent cadence up a climb trail. Consistent grade so i think i could feel that power band and stay in it easily. Maybe on the tighter switchbacks the trail mode would have been more seamless. Ill try trail mode more now, it wasnt like i needed to conserve battery today, we were both on time constraints for work

Riding the Bull

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Ebikes are a shit load of fun, just like his mom.
    Hi, old Rider 60yrs new to the forum. Been riding since front suspension was a 26 x 2.1 massive front tire I've got about 300 off road miles on my new Bulls w brose motor. Love this bike. It's not super hilly here so I'm only using the motor about 20pct of the time. Rides are 8 to 15 miles with about 600 to 1000 feet of climbing. Only burn about 10 to 15 pct of the battery on a ride.

I'm grinding the 55 pound beast up smaller climbs and on the longer gradual accents. The brose pedals fantastic without power. What I've also noticed is that the added weight makes for a much smoother ride. No matter how I tune my analog bike, it's not nearly as plush. This thing just smashes through everything and stays really composed.The added weight is only a drag on super tight or technical trails that need a lot of unweighting. Or where rocks and roots can get your knuckles smashed on tight trees...... You learn pretty quick

Yeah double track and fire road climbs can frequently be done in eco mode if you can maintain a decent cadence but again if it's rough it may not feel right as you're torque input varies. It does make a big difference in range so if that's a thing then definitely use it otherwise just let the bike do its thing and stay in trail mode. Boost can be really annoying if you don't really pedal in smooth round strokes as it surges, it also jams me into rocks and logs sometimes and gets me hung up when I might not have before as the torque is registered and the motor gives it a push.

Cool, im ok with giving trail mode a good go. Ive been working on call all over rhe map so havent ridden in a month(a bit of an anomaly after 2 years off to play) so im not worriedcabout running out of battery atm, more about just getting out and comfortable again. Should be fun experimenting at the same time banging the rust out

Everything will depend on what exactly you want. More speed or longer ride. Unfortunately, bikes with electronics can do one thing. I myself use the motor only as a last resort, when I need to rest or when I understand that the slope is incredibly steep and I can not handle it.

Electric Bike Thread

Curious, have any mountain bikers here that have also ridden dirt bikes/enduros for an extended period of time crossed over to riding an e-mtb as a replacement/substitute?