Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    LoT4 is not a good place for couch lock, much like those last few steps up Everest, at the end of the day, each man is only accountable to his self. i guess what i’m trying to say is,
    don’t get couch lock on Everest, literally.
    Does the chocolatier bear any accountability?

dunno if this was posted already but https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/27/asia/...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    dunno if this was posted already but https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/27/asia/...ntl/index.html
    "His family said he died doing what he loved." Of course.

Seems like a lot of the folks dying are way too old for Everest. Unfortunately, for those of us who refuse to accept the fact that we're way past our athletic prime, we often find out the hard way.

I wonder how much previous higher altitude climbing experience a lot of these folks have. Seems like a prerequisite for attempting Everest should be previously climbing about 20K. There's a strong genetic component to altitude tolerance. People without it tend to shut down their respirations when their CO2 gets too low and their blood pH gets too high, regardless of how hypoxic they are. People with tolerance are able to continue to hyperventilate with very high pH's and low CO2's so they can move more oxygen. These are two distinct populations of people--double bell curve. While acclimitization helps it can't completely overcome the handicap of the wrong kind of metabolism.

Have the remains been beheaded? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    *Maybe the author meant not being able to transport oxygen--oxygen transport across the alveolar-capillary membrane is driven by the partial pressure of oxygen, which is lower at altitude. That's different than being able to metabolize it, but I guess to a magazine editor it's all the same.
    That "partial pressure of oxygen" bit holds some grim implications for my nitrogen filled tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Does the chocolatier bear any accountability?
    I would have LOVED a chocolate bear for easter instead of a fucking chocolate bunny.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I realized I wouldn’t go if it was free at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Highest I've ever been I was stuck on the couch for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Have the remains been beheaded? Asking for a friend.
    Maybe that's the solution? Just bring down the heads.

You may recall the story of Lincoln Hall who was left for dead by his partners on Everest some years back. This dude and others gave up their summit bids to save him.

I still think it's really cool to climb Everest. It's by far the coolest mountain in the world. Everyone knows Everest, no matter the country or the culture. I can climb mt joeschmoo for the first time ever and it could be the gnarliest and most beautiful peak a mountaineer has ever laid eyes on and you could care less. But Joe Schmoo climbs Everest and he's all of a sudden, Joe that climbed Everest. There's no topping it, literally.

People kill themselves all the time and society does so little to prevent that, who cares if people want to risk death climbing a mountain?

Seems like American media cares more about the few rich dumbasses that die yearly on Everest than the hundreds of Americans that take their lives daily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    You may recall the story of Lincoln Hall who was left for dead by his partners on Everest some years back. This dude and others gave up their summit bids to save him.

I read something about the beauty of Alpinism and the code of helping others. I forget what it was, by Mallory or Muir ... the code of alpinism.

That being said .... Cashiers getting hit by huge lineups of Boxing Day Shoppers at the summit of Everest is something that should be avoided. Limit the number that can go up in any one 24 hour period by lottery. The issue seems more of management this year. It should never get to the situation it is.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Is anyone actually bothered by a handful of rich, entitled, assholes dying in the name of a selfish pursuit? This story is pretty much antithetical to a tragedy in my mind. The world will be a better place having a few less of these egomaniacs around. It's just a shame that these world class narcissists don't take their whole families up there. Good riddance.

Anybody else pay attention to the occupations of the people who've been dying? I seem to be noticing a lot of articles mentioning they're doctors and lawyers. Guess they should've stuck to their day jobs.

What REALLY disturbed me was a USA Today article I read recently with a Sherpa they interviewed talking about how he saw climbers who had apparently never put on crampons before, struggling to get them on before even setting out. Seriously. What idiot doesn't even know how to put on crampons and thinks to himself "Hmm. Maybe I should I go summit Mount Everest!" Brilliant idea there, geniuses.

Here's a hint to any would-be mountain climbers. How about tackling the basics first before setting out to climb the tallest mountain on the entire freaking planet, huh? I know, I know. Not enough Instagram street cred but at least you won't be endangering the life of some poor Sherpa who's gotta drag your sorry carcass up the mountain to help you get your selfie to show off to your nurses or paralegals back at the office.

You dont see any Dentists in the self check out line.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Is anyone actually bothered by a handful of rich, entitled, assholes dying in the name of a selfish pursuit?
    Not really. There's a certain poetic justice to it all in the age of the 1% fucking everything up. Humans, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Anybody else pay attention to the occupations of the people who've been dying? I seem to be noticing a lot of articles mentioning they're doctors and lawyers. Guess they should've stuck to their day jobs.

What REALLY disturbed me was a USA Today article I read recently with a Sherpa they interviewed talking about how he saw climbers who had apparently never put on crampons before, struggling to get them on before even setting out. Seriously. What idiot doesn't even know how to put on crampons and thinks to himself "Hmm. Maybe I should I go summit Mount Everest!" Brilliant idea there, geniuses.

Here's a hint to any would-be mountain climbers. How about tackling the basics first before setting out to climb the tallest mountain on the entire freaking planet, huh? I know, I know. Not enough Instagram street cred but at least you won't be endangering the life of some poor Sherpa who's gotta drag your sorry carcass up the mountain to help you get your selfie to show off to your nurses or paralegals back at the office.
    it seems everytime there's deaths on everest the same quotes, the same cliches come out. some of that may/may not be true imo it seems way more likely that someones having trouble with crampons because they are exhausted than that they never used them.

Posers, most of them.

When you don’t have to work, you have to justify yourself somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Posers, most of them.

When you don’t have to work, you have to justify yourself somehow.
    I think Benny prefers the term early retired..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    it seems everytime there's deaths on everest the same quotes, the same cliches come out. some of that may/may not be true imo it seems way more likely that someones having trouble with crampons because they are exhausted than that they never used them.

can't agree with you here, dunfree --

the 'guided (climbing) industry' has changed the Himalaya - actually for a long time now ( Twenty years(?) ) ...

The Requirement Now is the ability to Pay ( : no technical ability required.

( I had a long post drafted on Sunday that got crashed in cyberspace - about stepping out of line at 27,000 feet and attempting to free-climb. I doubt more than Few in that line have the ability(,) and even fewer ( in the post Just above ) have the physical fitness. Sixty-three on Everest. HAPE and HACE and went back Up (?) no. )

I wish 'em luck.
    ( This was a dream of my adolescence - and Visteurs beat me to it. ) tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

GENEVA—Saying they had no real problem with wealthy thrill-seekers failing in their efforts to scale the tallest mountain on earth, the entire human population admitted Tuesday that they are, in fact, completely fine with rich people dying on Mount Everest. “These guys shelling out a hundred grand to climb a 29,000-foot peak with a team of Sherpas are obviously aware that many people have died in the attempt, so they kind of know what they’re getting into, right?” said Cleveland resident Richard Warvil, echoing the sentiments of the world’s 7.7 billion people, who acknowledged the deaths of affluent amateur climbers who voluntarily ascend to heights at which oxygen stops reaching the brain don’t really upset them all that much. “At a certain point, you’re kind of bringing it on yourself. Plus, if you have that much disposable income and, of all the things you could do with that money, you choose to spend it on this—well, we’re actually okay with you dying. It may sound harsh, but we’re gonna get along just fine without you.” At press time, sources confirmed no candlelight vigils were being held at the foot of Mount Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’m bothered that you feel this way about these peoples
    family members. why should they be taken there, to die?
    IDK - Selective Darwinism? What if they were all Don McLean fans?

I'm bothered when Sherpas die.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Is anyone actually bothered by a handful of rich, entitled, assholes dying in the name of a selfish pursuit? This story is pretty much antithetical to a tragedy in my mind. The world will be a better place having a few less of these egomaniacs around. It's just a shame that these world class narcissists don't take their whole families up there. Good riddance.
    This is classic glademaster.