Thread: Beta on new flylow gear for 2014

Beta on new flylow gear for 2014

Specifically the stuff new to the line (ie string fellow, lab coat and corresponding pants)

Anyone fondle/try on/ own the gear they haven't made before?

Saw sia picks but that's about it
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

have they figured the booby thing out yet?
    bobby

Has Flylow changed up the fit of the Chemical pants? Received mine today and was surprised by how much baggier they seemed from my older pair they warrantied (I can't say enough good things about their warranty dept, great to deal with). I'm wondering if I should've sized down.

This years Stash seems bigger/baggier for sure - but in a good way. I have a new Higgins on the way too - kinda looking forward to seeing what the updated fabric is like.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    This years Stash seems bigger/baggier for sure - but in a good way. I have a new Higgins on the way too - kinda looking forward to seeing what the updated fabric is like.
    It is nice; light, less stiff, but still rather burly. I think you'll like it. I'd like to move my current Higgins for the newer one. The nicer, less boxy fit is also a bonus.

I replaced my 2011(?) Higgins this year. My old one was a little beat, but still very functional and I still plan to use it, I just wanted a new one out of pure vanity. When I received my new coat I noticed how much different the material felt. It had a lighter feel and seemed less "hearty." I posted asking about the changes and Dan was good enough to post a detailed response. (Search for that thread if interested) He promised the jacket would be just as bomber despite the thinner feel and had been upgraded to 20/20. I haven't had it out in any precip, but as for warmth it seems just as good while feeling appreciably lighter. Pretty sweet. I didn't notice a huge difference in fit and I am happy with the fit of both the old and new (size large).

As for the comments on the new fit of the pants, I am awkwardly between sizes in pants and currently run an XL in the Baker Bib. They are too big on me, but I would rather that then have snug ski pants on my big thighs. . . The Large was okay, but I worried it would be a little snug from my thighs to above my waist if I wanted to layer under it. Good to know that maybe a L will work for me in the Chemical this year.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

/\/\/\ Same. I've got an older pair of L Chemicals that I use that are bordering on too small. Tried a pair of the neoshell pants last year in XL and they were gigantic. If this years pants are bigger, maybe the L will actually work.

Wish they made the Compound pant in XS. I got away with a S in my 2011 Chemical Pant, but I was absolutely swimming in the same size Compound pant. Seems like they're leaning more towards the "freeride" side of the "freeride-touring" formula these days ...

Any follow up on the fit of the Compound pant peeps can offer?

I wear an XL Baker Bib and they are big, but I don't mind in a bib. I have some 2013 Magnums from backcountry that I may return, picked up the L and XL. L is just barely too tight in the waist and great everywhere else. XL is big, but I always air on the big side with something like ski pants.

Will the Compound have a comparable fit or will it be even bigger?
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

I have the Magnum and Compound pants in L and I would say they fit very similar. Waist is good, but the legs are a touch long. Same thing for the Baker Bib.

I'm really liking the Compound pants.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Hoping the tough guy gloves become tougher. My second pair to bust in the past two seasons is coming apart at the seams in the left glove near the palm. Can't say under 30 days of use before failing can really be described as "tough". Love everything about the glove aside from the durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I have the Magnum and Compound pants in L and I would say they fit very similar. Waist is good, but the legs are a touch long. Same thing for the Baker Bib.

I'm really liking the Compound pants.
    Thanks for the reply! I know the Compounds are neoshell and all and more expensive... but can you offer any other points of comparison/review?

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    Hoping the tough guy gloves become tougher. My second pair to bust in the past two seasons is coming apart at the seams in the left glove near the palm. Can't say under 30 days of use before failing can really be described as "tough". Love everything about the glove aside from the durability.
    I'd just do Kinco. Save some money. That said, no issues with mine, but since it's SO FRIGGIN COLD HERE, they don't get used a whole lot.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Just an update on the 2014 Higgins -- while I LOVED my older ones, this one really brought things to a new level! The 20k/20k fabric really steps up. I was skiing up at Targhee in a bunch of ice fog and wind-blown snow/ice, and the temps were super-variable from top to bottom of the mountain. I stayed pretty dry from both out/in & in/out. Very happy with the new fabric. While I'm not rough on gear, I did bounce off a tree or two pretty good, and you couldn't even tell. No shoulder frizz from my pack either.
    Gravity. It's the law.

^^^^^ i thought the fit was a bit longer cut too than last years i got from you.....especially the arms - you notice the same?

Thoughts on lab coat fit? I have a trew swift softshell, size s, and it fits perfectly. Can anyone compare fit between brands? I mention trew because they're also very "freeridey."

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    ^^^^^ i thought the fit was a bit longer cut too than last years i got from you.....especially the arms - you notice the same?
    The body of the older ones were a bit more generous in sizing, where the length (body & sleeve) would go to the newer one. The new material performs better, although I like the "heft" of the older one - just a personal thing there however.

Great coats no matter how you slice it. I'd put them against the Quantum any day.
    Gravity. It's the law.

The body of the older ones were a bit more generous in sizing, where the length (body & sleeve) would go to the newer one. The new material performs better, although I like the "heft" of the older one - just a personal thing there however.

Great coats no matter how you slice it. I'd put them against the Quantum any day.
    Quick follow up from me too. I own both "versions" of the Higgins and also the Quantum. We had a run of wet weather so I started wearing the Quantum more and have kind of stuck with it, but there is no reason I couldn't be perfectly happy with any of the three on a given day.

The new Higgins - despite the lack of "heft" - has proven every bit as warm as my older "thicker" feeling Higgins. I'd say it is more waterproof than my old one too, although kind of an apples to oranges situation comparing a 3 year old coat to a brand new one when it comes to waterproofing - perhaps not completely fair as my old one still functions very well.

I have found that my Baker Bibs have gotten a little undesirable from a waterproofing standpoint after about 1 year. I used some spray-on Nikwax DWR but haven't been out in wet weather since. Any further suggestions? I'd really like to solve this problem because it kind of jammed up my last pow day in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Thoughts on lab coat fit? I have a trew swift softshell, size s, and it fits perfectly. Can anyone compare fit between brands? I mention trew because they're also very "freeridey."

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums
    lab coat is smaller than my patagucci powslayer, but still lots of room to move and the hood is bigger. just a shorter body and sleeve cut, but relaxed fit, shoulders and waist seem quite the same.

it fits similar to arcteryx rush in terms of sleeve and body length, but more room to move and layering, arc is more trim fit!

It's not a super relaxed fit like the ones from trew and saga that I've seen at the store...