Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Chargey, Damp, but Surfey Hardpack Ski?

So I’m re-thinking my hardpack ski for Tahoe and I need recommendation.

I currently have a 184cm Praxis Piste Jib mounted -1 with a heavy hitter, veneer, 3+ flex.

I like the skis a lot, but they’re honestly too center mounted and jibby. I ski very directionally these days, never go into the park, and I find these don’t have enough tip in front of me when I’m pushing hard, and would prefer a little less tail and more aggressive ski.

So I’m looking for a damp ski that likes to go fast and can cut through heavy Sierra snow (springtime especially). Stability at high speeds on groomers needed, but the ability to make quick turns and more importantly, smear and pivot quickly is also a must (with good form and driving the tips). These will be used a lot in soft bumps, which I tend to surf/slide through.

Honestly have no idea what skis might be good candidates, I’ve been pretty out of the ski loop the past few seasons. I had an old pair of Brahmas I liked a lot. I’d think I want metal in these skis (these skis will never been used in any kind of pow or new snow) but it’s not a must. Probably something in the 80-100mm waist range.

My day after the storm skis are 182cm heavy/carbon/veneer/4 flex Praxis Quixotes which I really love mounted -1.25, they do well in bumps and cutting through crud - but they end up being too much work on hardpack at 118mm underfoot. Anything soft they come alive though.

I also have and love 191 Praxis/PM Gear Lhasa Pow Fats, 189 Praxis/PM Gear Kusalas, 191 ON3P Cease and Desists, and 184 ON3P Billygoat 108 Tours. So I have any and all soft snow and Pow quiver spots filled.

Moment commanders and Deathwish 104s look interesting, but I wish the DW was maybe narrower and had some metal in it.

Thanks all

Hard to say.

But I’m intrigued by the HL 110.
    Reverse but narrow and damp.

Mantra 102. I’m a shovel driving directional guy and find it does all the things you are talking about. I do still have Brahmas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

M102. This is my Tahoe DD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

M102. This is my Jackson DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I had an old pair of Brahmas I liked a lot.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mantra is a good shout. Also look at the Enforcer 94 or newer construction 100.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Mantra is a good shout. Also look at the Enforcer 94 or newer construction 100.
    I have the E94 in this spot, it rails hardpack and is great in soft bumps. Firm bumps the tail can be a handful .

For real off piste skiing they could use some more width, def a bottom feeder that need unweighting to turn quickly in any depth.

I also have a Praxis Q in 188 paired with this as my fresh snow.ski. Its a good combo , but if I was in Tahoe instead of EC / western travel , I would prob go up to the E100 (newer version as mentioned above ,it's the similar heavy and stuff construction as the E94)

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I have the E94 in this spot, it rails hardpack and is great in soft bumps. Firm bumps the tail can be a handful .

For real off piste skiing they could use some more width, def a bottom feeder that need unweighting to turn quickly in any depth.

I also have a Praxis Q in 188 paired with this as my fresh snow.ski. Its a good combo , but if I was in Tahoe instead of EC / western travel , I would prob go up to the E100 (newer version as mentioned above ,it's the similar heavy and stuff construction as the E94)
    They rail. But I wouldn’t call the enforcer surfy.

Man, I was thinking a pair of LPR 100's was exactly what you are describing until I got to "but the ability to make quick turns and more importantly, smear and pivot quickly is also a must". If you gotta have that last part then yeah, M6-M102 like everyone is saying. They are the shit. The new Boners might fit as well.

Can here to say M102…but I was late to the party.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yeah missed that part. Not at all surfy. Fairly odd request for a surfy hardpack ski

But yeah ,that is the reason why i am casually keeping my eyes open for a middle ski between the Enforcer and the Q. Something looser for lower tide off piste trees, bumps , and bigger mtn travel .

HLS r99 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Yeah missed that part. Not at all surfy. Fairly odd request for a surfy hardpack ski

But yeah ,that is the reason why i am casually keeping my eyes open for a middle ski between the Enforcer and the Q. Something looser for lower tide off piste trees, bumps , and bigger mtn travel .
    I’m soon to get a heritage labs RR 110.
    It is crazy. But it makes me ask. Why not.
    Do you really need camber? Once you lay it over, if it’s stiff enough it should rail. No?? Or yes?
    But RR should slarve fresh like no other.
    Waiting to see.

I mean my Corvus fits that bill. It’ll surfy just fine if you have edge control.

that new HL Fall line will hopefully be just that as well.

Surfy might be a slight misnomer on hardpack, but I could translate that to being able to slide/pivot well and release the tail to shut down speed quickly when needed. And all the spring mashed potato snow here can be surfy in its own way once it warms up haha

Will look into the new Mantra 102

How do the M6 Mantra and M102 compare?

I would look at the Corvus. Plenty directional and chargey, rails on hard pack, no speed limit, still surfy feel. Still pretty good swingweight in the air, def better than mantra/katana in that regard and surfyness

I haven’t skied new mantras but have bones in this slot, no problem releasing the tails for me but they really don’t like back seat skiing. I tried a set a woodsman 102s for this as well and they are super surfy at the cost of hard snow grip. R99s also ski nicely I could just overpower the am layup and didn’t want to wait for the comps.

I'd recommend Corvus for this slot. M102 is a better carver (at least for me) and stays more composed in rough terrain. Somehow Corvus feels looser most likely due to lighter weight and more progressive mount point. Both are great skis, pick your poison.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

PBJ/WC101?

Pretty surfy, can drive hard, still very playful.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

legend pro 94mm. on the cheap these days

I think the OG Cochise has a reputation for doing what you want. I picked up a pair earlier this season but only skied em 1 day so far, but they rip and seem to fit the bill. Think there’s a pair in Gearswap right now too.

Damp, chargey, hardpack and surfey don’t coexist.
    Damp, chargey, harpack, lots of options.
    Damp, surfey, chargey, options there.
    All of those combined? Nope.
    Nothing that’s going to charge hard pack is going to surf well or at all.
    Muggy, do you mean easy to break out of a carve on firm or soft’ish snow, throw them sideways to shut them down?
    If so a lot of skis can do that if detuned properly and you can feather the edge in a turn.
    I believe you are in fact looking for a firm snow trencher that you can break loose on firmer now with some effort, I sure as shit don’t want a firm snow trencher that gets loose easily.
    Quite a few of the skis mentioned will do that. If you are a smaller guy, the HL R99 AM would fit that bill. The tip is to soft for charging softer or heavier snow if heavier and/or taller. If you can hold out for a bit I’ll have the Comp build hopefully by the weekend and will drop a review. With that said, the AM is a great ski and does a lot of what you want.
    The M102 gets high praise by buds who rip, DJ included.
    Honestly you may be looking more at a Dynastar mfree99 or Mpro99 or the Menace when you say,” but the ability to make quick turns and more importantly, smear and pivot quickly is also a must”.
    Really you are looking for a unicorn that I don’t believe exists.

I can see why your interested in Commanders.
    Commander 98s have been great for me as a low tide ski. I have 20+ days on them this season and have been really impressed with the stability at speed and quickness edge to edge. They carve a turn and release the tail if desired, but they are definitely more locked in than something full rocker. The few times I've had them in bumps they have been servicable, but I'm not a great bump skier. I have no trouble with making small radius turns, but definitely a stiff ski that leans more GS than slalom. Also not my go to for anything fresh, but I've used them on a lot of storm days this year and I've been surprised how good they are up to about 6in and then Im really wishing I was on my BG110s. The metal and weight smooths them out in chop, but that flatter tail and narrower shovel is noticeable in deep heavy snow and you really need to keep the speed up to stay maneuverable.

With you saying you like to smear and pivot, maybe look at something full rocker/reverse camber? Meridians, something Volkl? I like my 194 Devastators, but I wouldn't call them agile and they weigh just short of a metric ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

The 110 is. I haven't ridden the 104. I'm liking the 110 quite a bIt right now as my Tahoe DD.