Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guide dropped my helmet off a cliff- who is responsible?

At a commercial shuttle op with a heli drop, my helmet and goggles were dropped by the guide while unloading the heli and my brand new poc full face and Oakley prism goggles rolled off a cliff. It is my initial opinion that it should be the operator’s responsibility to replace my gear as it was in the care of their employee at the time. I wouldn’t expect the guide himself to be held responsible as it happened in the course of his employment and he wasn’t being negligent. However, it could also be seen as my own bad luck.

I’ve contacted the op but they have been slow to respond. I am not sure how hard to push this though and am looking for views from the community. Thanks
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Make em go get it
    Decisions Decisions

A guide slammed a door on a fly rod once, and I didn't make him buy me a new one or even cover the $50 or so Loomis replacement fee. Does the dude have a lot of cash? He's a guide. and shit happens
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

did you properly secure your helmet as you were told? Why was the guide unloading your helmet, and why was it not on your head (easiest most hands free way to carry a helmet)?

did you have to ride the heli back down to the base? Were you able to retrieve the helmet and goggles? how badly damaged?

were you comped in some other way? Maybe instead of asking them to pay for the helmet, as for an extra helidrop or two next year, or some kind of similar comp that wouldnt really cost them extra.

Operator should have insurance. If it was actually “brand new” it might be worth pursuing. If it was actually 2-3 years old, just buy a new one.

Oh and actually the guide (within his scope as an employee of the operator) was negligent. He has a duty to get your equipment to you after taking it into his care.

As someone who could be in that situation (as a guide and tour operator) if I did that with a client's gear, I would fully expect to replace it for you with brand new gear if it was in fact our/their fault.

Just to clarify, I would not want the guide himself to pay regardless of fault as I am likely in a better financial situation than him. I was thinking more the operator and,perhaps, their insurance. For whatever reason, it was not practice to ride in the heli with helmets. Mine was not secured well because, at the last minute, I was called to change heli groups and I unhooked my helmet from a friend’s pack (I road packless) and gave the helmet to the guide. The helmet literally rolled off a cliff and was not retrievable. I did not miss my ride as the guide lent me his and rode helmetless. The helmet was indeed brand new, purchased the week before after a crash rendered my 5 year old helmet worthless. Had it been that old helmet that fell, I would have just said meh and moved on.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Push the guide off the cliff next time. That'll teach him.

Was it a legitimate accident, something really careless/stupid, or something inbetween that resulted in them dropping it? If you already told the operator/owner about it I'd give then a week to respond then decide how badly you want to push for a resolution. I'm guessing since you reported it to the owner you felt it was a careless/stupid move that resulted in the loss.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Push the guide off the cliff next time. That'll teach him.
    But give him his helmet back first.

God's will.

The moose out front should have told you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

They’re not going to make an insurance claim for a few hundred so I wouldn’t use that in conversation. If they feel liable they’re going to pay cash and write it off. Which doesn’t mean free, it means they get a discount of their tax rate, so maybe 30%. If they can also call in a prodeal comp etc, then they are probably out only the last third.
    That said, not having done many guide trips, not sure what I think about taking care of your own gear in this scenario. If they were loading bike or skis on the back of a heli or van and didn’t secure and lost, their problem. Dropping a helmet not retained even though they told you to move, meh.
    There you go, it cost me more than $100 to type that.

Name:  cartier-heli-drop.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  86.8 KB

This the spot?

Now that I see the cost of what you paid (not that it really changes anything), I would expect them to cover the cost of the gear. They have their gear distributors and pro forms...and if not the specific brand relationship then probably they have a relationship with the local shops which should be able to swing the gear. Ultimately they're out about the profit they made off you that day would be my assumption.

How did you enjoy that descent?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    There you go, it cost me more than $100 to type that.
    At least that. You must be exhausted.
    Decisions Decisions

If you have the cash to do heli drops you also have the cash to not be a dick about this.

Nice lookin hut up top there....

Fucking cyclist.

Karma is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Name:  cartier-heli-drop.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  86.8 KB

How did you enjoy that descent?
    It’s fucking awesome.

Did Connor drop the helmet?

And maybe more importantly, was the helmet secured to your friend’s pack? Or did it fall off the pack when the guide handed it to you? I know they’re (usually) sticklers for all the gear being secure.

RootSkier summed it up pretty well. #onepercenterproblems and all that.

Guide dropped my helmet off a cliff- who is responsible?

Do you really need a full face anyway? Channeling your inner Seth?
    Uno mas

How is it that people bitch about ebikes but not heli biking? I mean if you rode an ebike up to that drop off that'd be pretty rad. And I'm no fan of ebikes. Got passed by an old geezer on an ebike today like I had concrete in my tires.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

They make new ones every day.

Who the fuck goes helibiking anyway?

Are you riding off of live volcanos because I could mebee sea it then.
    watch out for snakes

why weren't you wearing yer fucking helmet ?

what you git out of them is what you git out of them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

They owe you a helmet.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.