Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do in Switzerland this weekend.

Ok bitches, here's the deal. I am headed to Geneva Friday for a Alpine Rescue conference and have 4 days to kill in central-esque Europe. I was originally going to go climbing but the weather is looking soggy. I need to be in Montreux Tuesday early evening.

So now I need an alternative plan. I was either going to do the vagabond American tourist and check out Bern and Zurich.
    I would honestly rather be hiking or something but again not sure about the weather. I've found the fog in the US looks like the fog in Europe.

Would busting over to the Tyrol area and schussing some glaciers be an ok option? Looks like it's been snowing up high?

Hooker and blow are off the table, my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money.

I know, 1st world problems.
    Last edited by sfotex; 10-04-2022 at 08:40 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Blow in Europe sucks balls (or so I've been told) hookers on the other hand...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Ok bitches, here's the deal. I am headed to Geneva Friday for a Alpine Rescue conference and have a 4 days to kill in central-esque Europe. I was originally going to go climbing but the weather is looking soggy. I need to be in Montreux Tuesday early evening.

So now I need an alternative plan. I was either going to do the vagabond American tourist and check out Bern and Zurich.
    I would honestly rather be hiking or something but again not sure about the weather. I've found the fog in the US looks like the fog in Europe.

Would busting over to the Tyrol area and schussing some glaciers be an ok option? Looks like it's been snowing up high?

Hooker and blow are off the table, my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money.

I know, 1st world problems.
    If you end up doing the city thing, I recommend Lucerne over Zurich.

If you are in Geneva then you are only a one hr. train ride to Cham.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A few of the Austrian glaciers have opened and gotten a little snow. Pitztal is probably closest. Stubai is open, closer to Innsbruck.
    I don't think either Saas Fe or Zermatt are open.

I'd echo Mr. Mike regarding Luzern, it's pretty cool. I liked Basel a lot too.

(edit)
    Just North of Basel on the train line is St. Louis with this nice hotel and restaurant: https://www.lavillak.com/.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-04-2022 at 11:12 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Weather should be pretty good? Go hiking or climbing. Sone cloud on sat otherwise awesome conditions.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Added picClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221004-191954_Firefox.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	428662

Löschen Tal has awesome hiking on the Ridge gondola gets you to 3000m ....may still be open?
    But any valais valley should be pretty right now.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Blow in Europe sucks balls (or so I've been told) hookers on the other hand...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I've heard they suck balls, too.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    If you are in Geneva then you are only a one hr. train ride to Cham.
    Really? When I was there 20+ years ago it was a huge pain to take a train from Geneva to Cham. However, there was a private bus that went directly there.

Taking the train to Verbier from Geneva was a fairly easy day trip via train though.

60km. Train 2.5 hrs. Bus = 1hr 15 mins. Car: 1 hr
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Train from Geneve to Chamonix is 2 hours 45 minutes with 2 train changes via Evian Les Bains.
    Train from Geneve to Martigny is 1 hour 40 minutes with no train changes.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html

Train from Martigny to Chamonix used to be 1 hour 30 minutes, but it's not running now. I've gone from Vallorcine to Martigny a few times and it's easy, quick and beautiful.

https://www.mont-blanc-express.ch/en/horaires-fp47788

Lauterbrunnen Valley is really cool too, easy train access via Interlaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Lauterbrunnen Valley is really cool too, easy train access via Interlaken.
    + on this. Lauterbrunnen Valley is my favorite place on the planet. Of the places I've been, anyway.

Except that it will take you over three hours to get to Interlaken from Geneva

Yeah, 2:20 by car but, yeah, that's a consideration. Still much closer than Zurich or Lucerne which were mentioned above. Tyrol was also a candidate from the OP, further still.

I might head towards Interlaken. Weather Sunday and Monday is looking ok during the day.

I've been to Cham 3x times so I'll probably check something else out.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

^^ If you go to Interlaken, go the rest of the way to Lauterbrunnen (short distance) and make it up to Murren. Or..go on the other side of the valley to Grindlewald. Spectacular views and some fun hiking around the Eiger, Munch, Jungfrau. Also lots of stuff on the Murren side of the valley, atop the 2,000' cliff wall that Murren sits on. Plenty to do in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ If you go to Interlaken, go the rest of the way to Lauterbrunnen (short distance) and make it up to Murren. Or..go on the other side of the valley to Grindlewald. Spectacular views and some fun hiking around the Eiger, Munch, Jungfrau. Also lots of stuff on the Murren side of the valley, atop the 2,000' cliff wall that Murren sits on. Plenty to do in that area.
    I can't echo this comment/recommend this advice enough. One of the most spectacular places I've ever been in my life.

Nice Murren hotel: http://www.alpenblick-muerren.ch/ . The proprietress is Janet and she's a kick. Husband Thom makes excellent food, the restaurant is packed.

We went to Interlaken and up to Grindelwald back in 1999 and the weather was complete shite the whole time we were there.

We're going back next year. I vow to view the Eiger Nordwand... unless, of course, the weather is shite the entire time we're there.

Find a place to sit, eat bread and cheese and wash it down with wine for the duration of the stay.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Renting a scooter in Interlaken and heading up random paved roads through the the ski areas was one of the most fun things I've done in my life.

Other options are trains to Briancon or Oulx.
    Oulx is faster and easy access up into the Milky Way/Col du Montgenevre.
    Briancon is a 7+ hour backwater route through Grenoble, great visuals along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Find a place to sit, eat bread and cheese and wash it down with wine for the duration of the stay.
    This. One of my fondest and most vivid memories of our stay in Chamonix was chilling on the roof-top patio of our hotel with a roast chicken, bread, cheese, and wine from town and soaking in the view of the Aiguilles.