Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Shift Meal

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You folks need to learn to separate the terminology of the bread, from the sammi. A hoagie strictly refers to the bread. Contents irrelevant.

Coming from someone who grew up with the most hyper regional term for a similar sammi: A wedge. "You want a wedge? How long? 5', 10'?" was not uncommon.
    I must respectfully disagree. A hoagie is a sandwich that is made on a hoagie roll. Head to Philly and order a turkey, brie, and fig hoagie and then carefully observe the looks you get along with the colorful, likely unintelligible language that accompanies it.

All this talk of sandwiches with spicy cured meat is making me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Great movie. I love the breakfast scene.

Love that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Or over in Idaho Springs?
    You mean a Spuckie?

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    She's a plus-size accountant which makes her food waste even more odd. You don't see many overweight locals here.

Also, you'll be happy to learn my office is on the 4th floor with private bathroom so no shenanigans or unwelcome perverts unless they're invited by me.
    oh, an accountant, I should have known... says it all... signed former accountant

Who else gets lunch included at work?
    The only time I get meals included is when I’m working over seas.
    Korea, China, Sweden...

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Photoshoot done, but will be a lot of work to do in post.
    Turns out she's also a squirter... although the liquid is highly suspect and very viscous.
    God I hope the pic uploader is still fucked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

with cost cutting I don't think the company cafeteria is a thing anymore,

living on the road for 6 months I got food but it all tasted the same, by the end I just wanted a home cooked meal that didnt taste like GFS ( Gordon food services) but If yer away from home you always get food,

camp people get food it can be pretty good depending on who is cooking, the mine narth west of here has a french chef who used to do fine dining and I heard its pretty good, buddy is a skier he told me he can make 3 times as much money cooking for miners than cooking for dentists
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Who else gets lunch included at work?
    The only time I get meals included is when I’m working over seas.
    Korea, China, Sweden...
    Medical students, residents. I was so poor in med school--lunch at work kept me alive. I used to go back for 6 servings of fish and chips on Fridays at the excellent cafeteria at the county hospital. And a lot of private hospitals have free lunch for attending doctors--I used to eat free sandwiches in the doctor's lounge of this one private hospital and listen to these guys making a million a year complain about the quality of the free food. They could have afforded to have lunch flown in from a Michelin starred restaurant in SF.

I know an MD who always eats super fast and he claimed it was cuz the pager had gone off or the P.A. had interuppted him so many times in the middle of a meal that he was conditioned to get it all down before he was called away

I get per diems when on 'travel status'. Better than nothing, but I eat out so infrequently that I take advantage of the bonus and go for meals I rarely get to sample in bumfuck nowhere.

The university thing brings back memories of working in the downtown hotels and conference centers in Edmonton as a starving student. They had little meals in the breakroom for pennies on the dollar, and after a banquet, we chowed down on the leftover plates. With the flexible weekend and evening hours, it was the best student gig out there.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I know an MD who always eats super fast and he claimed it was cuz the pager had gone off or the P.A. had interuppted him so many times in the middle of a meal that he was conditioned to get it all down before he was called away
    3 surgeons and an OR nurse in our family. Watching us eat is not a pleasant sight. We're used to eating between cases. Our younger son was always a slow slow eater, he'd still be eating a half hour or more after everyone else was finished. 2 years of surgical training and he's the first one done.
    And any food left lying around an OR lounge will be devoured within seconds. Cold soggy french fries. 3 day old pieces of donut. It's like pirhanas. If Parvo worked in an operating room someone would be fishing that uneaten hoagie out of the trash and eating it.

I'm a slow eater. And I take forever to assemble my plate. The kids are usually almost done before I take my first bite.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    You mean a Spuckie?
    Well, yeah, if you’re getting it at a spa in Reveah.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Years ago the NYT followed a bunch of hospital Residents around for a week. The writer noted that the longest cafeteria meal he observed was 10 minutes.

By the time I retired every time my pager went off I would physically spaz involuntarily, like I'd been hit with an electric shock. Sure don't miss that.
    I do miss infectious disease conference--the Pakistani doc who ran it ordered Indian buffet, free for us of course. You got there on time or went hungry. And late in my career one of my podiatrist friends--I did a lot of consulting on podiatry patients--as a thank you put me on a committee that met monthly in a sushi restaurant. They put out trays, help yourself, we never could eat it all.
    When they were introducing the electric medical record they had 5 or 6 training sessions after work. Excellent Chinese food--they knew we would all show up.
    During a budget crunch I had to go to a committee meeting after work at another hospital--they served a bowl of chopped up lettuce, no dressing, and water. That committee never met again.
    You learn in med school how to sniff out free food and you never lose the skill, or the hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    By the time I retired every time my pager went off I would physically spaz involuntarily, like I'd been hit with an electric shock. ...
    used to carry a pager way way back, sometimes on a day off/not carrying a random tone would come thru in traffic which sounds like the pager so you reach for the pager on your belt by reflex but its at home

used to carry a pager way way back, sometimes on a day off/not carrying a random tone would come thru in traffic which sounds like the pager so you reach for the pager on your belt by reflex but its at home
    Only doctors and drug dealers carry pagers. Which were you?

I wore a suit and I was fixing typers and computers

I used to live below a pimp and 3 hookers who all had pagers,

Cecil the pimp drove a maroon cordoba with white interiour, wore platform shoes/ long coats with fur collars and a big stenson with fur trim

Wildland fire, lunch and dinner and breakfast were free when you were at a fire. The very best food was pretty mediocre. The not-so-best was...free at least.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I'm a slow eater. And I take forever to assemble my plate. The kids are usually almost done before I take my first bite.
    One of my oldest friends is a really slow eater, which has a lot to do with how much he talks at meals. I hate going to a restaurant with him because when everyone is done and ready to get the check and go, he’s (talking and) only halfway through.

By the time I retired every time my pager went off I would physically spaz involuntarily, like I'd been hit with an electric shock.
    For a long time after I retired from wildfire whenever there was drift smoke in town from a nearby fire, when I’d first wake up smelling the smoke I’d go into full-on panic because I thought I was late for my shift. Old habits...

I used to live below a pimp and 3 hookers who all had pagers,

Cecil the pimp drove a maroon cordoba with white interiour, wore platform shoes/ long coats with fur collars and a big stenson with fur trim
    For real? I thought that was just the movies.

For real? I thought that was just the movies.
    Cecil was even not white

The house was owned by a sexualy ambiguous dentist ( we were sure he was gay but he was also married) on a short street in a residential area of the suburbs called Davies street, by coincidence Davie street was also THE place in downtown Vangroovy where all the action happened

having to knock on the door at 7am to ask Cecil to move his car after he came in at 3am so I could get to work was a little scary but he was always OK

upon moving in Cecil said " nobody calls the cops on nobody right ?" as he offered me a hit off a bottle of Courvoisier

the hookers were different but if they got nasty just tell them cecil said and every thing was cool

it was all very wierd at the time and we were not there long
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-02-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Wildland fire, lunch and dinner and breakfast were free when you were at a fire. The very best food was pretty mediocre. The not-so-best was...free at least
    one of my gigs is running food into fire camps thru the smoke & dust in a shitty international with broken AC, fuck i hate that truck

shit happens really fast in that game so they call people on really short notice til they find someone so if you are that guy who will always say yes on 1 hr notice they call you first

I know the owner he sez what they feed you is exactly what is in the contract and he can quote to the gram what was in that sandwich you ate

I know the owner he sez what they feed you is exactly what is in the contract and he can quote to the gram what was in that sandwich you ate
    Yeah, I don’t blame the contractors at all (except when every now and they’d slip in expired lunches), I blame the f’n bureaucrats that, having never spent a day on the line or even outside, wrote the contracts to the bare minimum cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Yeah, I don’t blame the contractors at all (except when every now and they’d slip in expired lunches), I blame the f’n bureaucrats that, having never spent a day on the line or even outside, wrote the contracts to the bare minimum cost.
    I would think a fire crew would need approximately as many calories as a racer in the Tour de France. Maybe more.

Edit--I looked it up. 6K per day for both.

I would think a fire crew would need approximately as many calories as a racer in the Tour de France. Maybe more.

Edit--I looked it up. 6K per day for both.
    Yeah, that’s right. Besides MREs that meant lots of white bread, potatoes, potato chips, fatty cold cuts (which were warm), hot dogs, greasy burgers, candy bars, undercooked bacon, shitty granola bars, etc.

In Alaska, a lot of the native call-when-needed crews brought their home food with them. Stuff like seal meat and oil, smoked fish, and jerked caribou and moose. They could sure stink up a helicopter after a few days on a fire.