Page 20 of 197 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Actually, the law says ebikes aren't allowed on natural surface non motorized trails in Washington State unless specifically allowed by the land managers.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Alcohol may have been involved…

1) Pointing out the hypocrisy and irony. MTNGrl and some others have little clue as to the history of trail access and the effort put in by many (who did far more than I), but that doesn’t stop them from being indignant and self righteous about trail access they feel entitled to.

Mountain bike specific trails are a relatively new phenomenon, many of the best trails (IMO) that exist were built by others and predated mountain biking.

2) Ebikes are coming, no mater how you feel about them, the wave is just starting to break and it is going to be a big one. Taking a fundamentalist approach and digging heels in isn’t going to help or make it go away. Nearly all of the rhetoric is fear/assumption based. Yeah, yeah some trails have been closed to mountain bikes in the past, and it is an ongoing problem with some new potential closures looming. However, there have also been a lot of new trails that have opened up over time, some on public land, some on private, and in the PNW specifically, more are coming. Like many things you have to take the long view.

A proactive approach needs to be developed and discussed by all involved instead of bickering (which I am admittedly part of in this thread). Actual study should replace fear based assumption. For instance, industry supported grants for independent, in depth study as to the true/actual effects of projected ebike traffic on trails, potential conflicts, etc. In the end, if these proposed studies show that the impact is nominal, then we can figure out a way to move forward together. If the studies show that the impact is considerable the risks to public health and safety too high, then land managers will be armed with something other than assumptions for making proper choices. That also means that people buying these products will have a better understanding of how they are impacting their environment and why there are limitations on where they can go.

From a user group standpoint, trying to push ebikes and the people who would ride them away doesn’t build our community, it divides it. And, it’s worth pointing out that many of these people that some would ridicule are in a good place to help, both in terms of income and influence.

Self aggrandizing - pffft, whatever - the point of relating my background is to provide foundation and context for the first statement, I was there, I lived it, otherwise I couldn’t care less if anyone is impressed or not.

[/end rant - and last post on this subject in this thread]
    How will they "study" the number of people who will modify their ebikes to have more power and speed?

How will they study the comfort level of hikers getting passed at 20 miles per hour where the fast bikes use to climb at 5 miles per hour?

How will they make a motor not a motor?

How would life have evolved in a world controlled by mtngirl79?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post

How will they make a motor not a motor?
    all motors are not the same. All the non-motorized distinctions were made prior to existence of these silent and much-less-powerful motors. You get that right? You get that when "motor vs non-motor" was being considered, the motors involved were an entirely different deal. It's entirely plausible to posit that if weak, silent, electric motors had been involved in the first place, we wouldn't have "motor vs. nonmotor" as the working distinction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    all motors are not the same. All the non-motorized distinctions were made prior to existence of these silent and much-less-powerful motors. You get that right? You get that when "motor vs non-motor" was being considered, the motors involved were an entirely different deal. It's entirely plausible to posit that if weak, silent, electric motors had been involved in the first place, we wouldn't have "motor vs. nonmotor" as the working distinction at all.
    Motor and non-motor is about as fine a line as there can be. Pretty simple. Not based on an arbitrary speed, or if you have some preexisting medical condition, or anything else - motors don't belong on trails designated as non-motorized. If it's an unofficial trail, fair game. Why do people keep trying to argue against this? If ebikers are so butthurt about it, maybe they can band together, build their own trails, and keep mountain bikes off of them?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Electric Bike Thread

Distinction between types and power of motorized recreation exist elsewhere. Like boating on small lakes. Some are HP restricted, some are designated electric only, and others are no motors at all. There are ways to further subdivide the distinctions that work just fine.

To everybody that wants the black and white line of motors only on designated motorized trails....How do you feel about dirt bikes on motorized trails that are fun to mountain bike? Are you psyched? or are you still a bit peeved they are on the trail? Do you wish they weren't allowed on those fun bike trails?
    Last edited by Mountainman; 07-23-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Motor and non-motor is about as fine a line as there can be. Pretty simple. Not based on an arbitrary speed, or if you have some preexisting medical condition, or anything else - motors don't belong on trails designated as non-motorized. If it's an unofficial trail, fair game. Why do people keep trying to argue against this? If ebikers are so butthurt about it, maybe they can band together, build their own trails, and keep mountain bikes off of them?
    And at one point, there was a very obvious line stating no machines on the trail. But through advocacy, MTB fought for access to trails.

IMO, the question isnt whether or not the e-bikes should be breaking the rules and riding on the trails, it is should the rules be changed to allow them on the trails? And to this point, i have yet to see an objectively logical reason or a reason not based on jealousy or selfishness, why they should not be allowed, but MTB should be.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    And to this point, i have yet to see an objectively logical reason or a reason not based on jealousy or selfishness, why they should not be allowed, but MTB should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

This is some funny shit. This thread is a PRIME example of the non ebikers having the MASSIVE BUTTHURTZZZZzz. Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I think some fun times could be had on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    To everybody that wants the black and white line of motors only on designated motorized trails....How do you feel about dirt bikes on motorized trails that are fun to mountain bike? Are you psyched? or are you still a bit peeved they are on the trail? Do you wish they weren't allowed on those fun bike trails?
    Completely depends on context. We have a lot of motorized single track, and most of the time it rides better because of the moto traffic. The large majority of moto riders are awesome to meet and talk with on the trail. Sometimes though they rip the shit out of trails, and that sucks. And a few of them are assholes.

Depends on how crowded, too. I do not want to listen to motorcycles all day. I will not ride where I would hear them often.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Cliff notes please.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I think some fun times could be had on that.
    IDK, the suspension looks like it's garbage. They were barely getting off the ground and blowing right through the travel. I laughed out loud when he said it could use a bit more dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    No issues with dirt bikes on motorized trails. No, not psyched to see them, rather not smell exhaust or ride in a huge cloud of dust, but can't complain if they are riding where they are supposed to. Good chance dirt bikes made those trails, and if I don't want to see them I can go ride the trails that don't allow dirt bikes or ebikes. Seems by your question you are missing the point entirely. Most mountain bikers (judging by the sample size both here and on all the other online sites I've visited) just want trails that are free from motors, much as hikers may hike on bike trails, but can also choose to use a trail with no bikes.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

No issues with dirt bikes on motorized trails. No, not psyched to see them, rather not smell exhaust or ride in a huge cloud of dust, but can't complain if they are riding where they are supposed to. Good chance dirt bikes made those trails, and if I don't want to see them I can go ride the trails that don't allow dirt bikes or ebikes. Seems by your question you are missing the point entirely. Most mountain bikers (judging by the sample size both here and on all the other online sites I've visited) just want trails that are free from motors, much as hikers may hike on bike trails, but can also choose to use a trail with no bikes.
    I do not think the point was being missed at all.

They were all over the Sella in the Dolomites. I don't particularly like 2 or 4 stroke noise when I'm out in the mountains, but those things were fine. Man, the Dolomites on the weekend are packed with Euros riding lifts and ripping down singletracks.

One thing about the Euros, Americans could learn a lot about tolerance.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    They were all over the Sella in the Dolomites. I don't particularly like 2 or 4 stroke noise when I'm out in the mountains, but those things were fine. Man, the Dolomites on the weekend are packed with Euros riding lifts and ripping down singletracks.

One thing about the Euros, Americans could learn a lot about tolerance.
    One thing?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    One thing?
    Yeah, well despite the better awd station wagons with a stick (dammit), food, wine, weirdo liquers and architecture, tolerance might just top the list.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

No issues with dirt bikes on motorized trails. No, not psyched to see them, rather not smell exhaust or ride in a huge cloud of dust....................
    Burning castor oil smells like pu**y to me. One mans trash is another..........

That said 2 strokes are dead.

Was that a motorized hub on that Bomber? Snurfers were pieces of shit too.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    And at one point, there was a very obvious line stating no machines on the trail. But through advocacy, MTB fought for access to trails.
    "At one point?" There was never a point in time when bikes were banned from all trails. Prior to the eighties bikes were allowed everywhere. Bikes were ridden across most of the continent by buffalo soldiers. In 1965, fresh off signing the Wilderness Act, President Johnson said in reference to trails: "The forgotten outdoorsmen of today are those who like to walk, hike, ride horseback or bicycle. For them we must have trails as well as highways. Nor should motor vehicles be permitted to tyrannize the more leisurely human traffic."

Obviously there's a difference between electric motors and gas engines. But they were all banned in designated wilderness in 1964, while bikes were only banned by the USFS (not Congress) in 1984--and the fight over that continues with broader implications for designated and non-designated wilderness in large portions of the country. Much of our national trail system (such as it is) included. Jealousy has nothing to do with the risk of losing access.

Done right I can see e-bikes being beneficial in all sorts of ways (they're almost certainly less of a problem than many fear), but there are designations for land (as well as trails) that ban motors and those designations would have to change before e-bikes would be legal there. Does that matter? Do e-bikers want access to those places? IDK. Maybe they need an e-bike coalition. Just do yourselves a favor and don't let an e-IMBA start speaking for you; it won't end well.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

What an asshole. I bet he rode right by a "No Bikes" sign. Going to ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IDK, the suspension looks like it's garbage. They were barely getting off the ground and blowing right through the travel. I laughed out loud when he said it could use a bit more dampening.
    Come on man, I’m not saying I’m gonna drop $8k on one, but if you couldn’t have fun on that for an afternoon you’re doing it wrong.