Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Having worked in the food service industry both as a waiter and bartender, I am always a way better than average tipper. These days however, I’ve really kind of tried to turn it up a notch when I can because I know people doing these jobs right now are really struggling to make ends meet. I’m one of the lucky ones who wasn’t really affected terribly by the pandemic in a financial way, so I try to spread the love. Small lunch tabs will usually get 100% if they were nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

5 years ago I took delivery of a bear box for neighbors who only visit a few weeks per year. The delivery guy helped me carry it up 3 or four steps to the landing. (ie he carried it while I laid hands on it and willed it to go up). After he left I realized I should have given him at least 20 and I still feel bad about this several times a year. I can't say I have ever regretted a tip I did give.

I've forgotten housekeeping in a hotel more than once. Easy to do, especially if you leave it for checkout. Shame on me.

Biggest tip I've ever heard of. Sheik gave Michael DeBakey a Ferrari for fixing his heart. DeBakey drove it to work and the gate attendant wouldn't let him in because he hadn't put his sticker for the doctors' parking lot on the windshield. Said a very very pissed off DeBakey--"Boy, do you know who I am?" "Sir, I don't care if you're Denton Fucking Cooley, you can't come in." DeBakey drove through the closed gate.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I went to buy a ton of stove pellets the other day. A dude there helped me load all 25 bags into my truck. I have him $5 and he gave me a funny look and then awkwardly said thanks. I thought this was a no brainer tipping situation but I guess not.
    What happened to the other 25 bags?

(Or are you buying pellets in 80# bags?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Biggest tip I've ever heard of. Sheik gave Michael DeBakey a Ferrari for fixing his heart. DeBakey drove it to work and the gate attendant wouldn't let him in because he hadn't put his sticker for the doctors' parking lot on the windshield. Said a very very pissed off DeBakey--"Boy, do you know who I am?" "Sir, I don't care if you're Denton Fucking Cooley, you can't come in." DeBakey drove through the closed gate.
    Something similar happened a couple years ago in Park city. Family rented a house in the colony for the ski season. They had two young children. Upon arriving in town they bought a BMW X5 brand new.Also they hired a young girl to watch and ski with their two young children. When the ski season was over and the rental was done The father gave the girl the two keys to the BMW as a tip. Ski bums wet dream.

Personally, I am a 20% tipper ($92 bill eight dollars tax equals $100 +$20 tip). I have not been to a restaurant since March. No, I give the same tip on takeout orders. It keeps me from ordering a lot of takeout
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Something similar happened a couple years ago in Park city. Family rented a house in the colony for the ski season. They had two young children. Upon arriving in town they bought a BMW X5 brand new.Also they hired a young girl to watch and ski with their two young children. When the ski season was over and the rental was done The father gave the girl the two keys to the BMW as a tip. Ski bums wet dream.

Personally, I am a 20% tipper ($92 bill eight dollars tax equals $100 +$20 tip). I have not been to a restaurant since March. No, I give the same tip on takeout orders. It keeps me from ordering a lot of takeout
    Friend of mine's daughter started out as a kiddie ski instructor and wound up as Alex Cushing's personal assistant--flew back east with the family in the summer, out west in the winter, lived in the house with the family. Fired the day he died.

Nice!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If you don't tip more on takeout nowadays, shame on you. I always tip 20% on takeout, regardless.

Wasn't it you posting awhile ago during COVID, between your expensive car and boat threads, and you asked why you should tip for takeout $5 when they do nothing?

I think I did, but I have seen the light. What I have or don’t have has nothing to do with anything...
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 02-10-2021 at 09:02 PM.

When the ski season was over and the rental was done The father gave the girl the two keys to the BMW as a tip.
    Apparently she swallowed, huh?

[sorry, had to do it]

My wife rounded up our $60 bill to $100 the other day (outside bar seating) and our server almost cried. She said that most people are tipping less these days which is so fucked up.

We’ve survived on tips over the years and always I tip well, but are into the 30-40% range these days just because of how shitty it is these days for them

Huh? Tipping for takeout? Nah.. not usually, I will say, that since all dining is now takeout I have added maybe 5-10% on takeout as most waitstaff have seen wage cuts due to lack of hours. As far as dine in, base is 20% tip if they are exceptional then it goes up from there. Can’t remember the last time I didn’t tip wait staff! Drinks get $1 per, this goes for coffee, beer, mixed bevies.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thread title needs to be changed to "humble brags all around," or "I pat myself on the back, so should you."

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Thread title needs to be changed to "humble brags all around," or "I pat myself on the back, so should you."
    Could be the title to every thread really

Keys are great, but what about the title?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Except that just above you there is someone who didn't used to tip on takeout and now does, so these threads might have some value. Then there are others who haven't come to their senses yet.

If you don't tip for takeout you're a chump.

What if you don't do takeout?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    As has been already pointed out in this thread, kitchen workers also make dick for pay and rely on a tipshare from FoH to supplement their income. When you stiff a waitress, you are often stiffing every worker at the place.
    Last night we went out for a birthday celebration. When the bill came, there was a 4% gratuity added for the kitchen and non-wait staff built into the bill as a line item. WTF?

It's a good way for the restaurant to pay back of house employees more without paying extra employment taxes. Kinda shifty like Sugarbush adding a mandatory 20% tip to bar tabs last winter along with a tip line to ask for more.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    It's a good way for the restaurant to pay back of house employees more without paying extra employment taxes. Kinda shifty like Sugarbush adding a mandatory 20% tip to bar tabs last winter along with a tip line to ask for more.
    What sucks is that it shifts the risk of a bad night/weekend/week to the employees' bottom line instead of the owner's. I'm not sure I'll be returning there, which is a shame since I really enjoyed our experience otherwise.

10% on takeout. Sorry.
    No ones filling my water glass etc.

Back of the house doesn’t get ten when you tip twenty for table service.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    What sucks is that it shifts the risk of a bad night/weekend/week to the employees' bottom line instead of the owner's. I'm not sure I'll be returning there, which is a shame since I really enjoyed our experience otherwise.
    This. Kitchen work is hard work and most places treat BOH shitty and don’t pay them enough. And then ask the customers to take care of it. Just pay them for their work and pay your taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    10% on takeout. Sorry.
    No ones filling my water glass etc.

Back of the house doesn’t get ten when you tip twenty for table service.
    No one likes tightwads. Fact.

20% on everything. Not difficult math and seems safe.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I started upping my tipping game at the start of the pandemic. Now I'm doing it in the hope that the few restaurants that are open around here will be able to hold on to their workers and stay open.