Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Awesome! Beat me by nine days. Have a great trip, you'll see some cool areas of the country.
    Thanks and congratulations man!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I DO NOT recommend driving highway 101 from Astoria to Newport unless you like driving in bumper-bumper touron traffic while viewing wall-wall hotels, chain restaurants and t-shirt shops. Keep in mind a former Governor of Oregon described the stretch from Lincoln City to Newport as “The 20 miserable miles”,
    Agree road from Astoria to Seaside is the pits, and Lincoln City blows, but this stretch of road has some of the best views, and best beaches (particularly for surfing) of the entire Oregon coast. Ecola St Park, Oswald West, Manzanita Overlook, Oceanside, Pacific City, Otter Rock, Beverly Beach, Agate Beach are all top notch. It is the most crowded part of the OR coast due to proximity to Portland and Seattle. It's also a must visit for fans of Goonies, Point Break, and Kindergarten Cop.

Have fun. Congrats on retirement. The GOTOS thread has all the ideas you’ll need for strapping stuff to the outside of your friend’s overlander

Shitty deal for sure but sleeping with food in your tent in heavy griz country isnt recommended. Someone got killed by a falling tree here yesterday as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Shitty deal for sure but sleeping with food in your tent in heavy griz country isnt recommended. Someone got killed by a falling tree here yesterday as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Well shit.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yeah, I'd go ABQ up to Steamboat via 285/24/9/40 etc, camp somewhere up there, do a ride near Steamboat in the morning, then continue up to Jackson.
    This - except I'd suggest taking a left at Leadville, heading down to Minturn, west on 70 to Wolcott and then 131 into the Boat. Also - if you're really not in a hurry, this route up to Rock Springs is quite scenic: https://goo.gl/maps/4rjpeX7DYaVEbxyx9

Shits getting real, boyos……Seven days and counting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B21FF4AA-AC38-4BE0-A05B-F95CBCB3712A.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	883.5 KB 
ID:	378990
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Noice!

I find the 285 drive mostly droll with some cool spots.
    But the leg you speak of, route 430 into south Rock Springs is a cool road, albeit mostly dirt. Oil field roughneck trucks banging around out there.

I feel the western route, thru GJ, has more cool stuff and one could connect to 430 at Dinosaur Jct. Just turn right onto Brontosaurus Blvd. instead of left.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Noice!

I find the 285 drive mostly droll with some cool spots.
    But the leg you speak of, route 430 into south Rock Springs is a cool road, albeit mostly dirt. Oil field roughneck trucks banging around out there.

I feel the western route, thru GJ, has more cool stuff and one could connect to 430 at Dinosaur Jct. Just turn right onto Brontosaurus Blvd. instead of left.
    Ya I’m gonna go the GJ way going out…..Night one I’ll be out in the spooky high desert near Dinosaur, I hope…..Then I’m headed your way Djongo!
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Ya I’m gonna go the GJ way going out…..Night one I’ll be out in the spooky high desert near Dinosaur, I hope…..Then I’m headed your way Djongo!
    If you climb out of Vernal you get into the more alpine zone (cooler) towards Flaming Gorge, this time of year the cool might be worth the extra hour and a half or so of driving

Edited to add, I personally would avoid Jackson like the plague, the traffic/tourist shitshow is not worth the awesomeness. I have loved Jackson my whole life, but she aint what it used to be.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

<snip>
    Confirmed. Even in the middle of the winter. Some of them get stuck on roads that they shouldn't be trying to navigate.

Outstanding, looking forward to meeting you.
    Take it easy, enjoy it, 2 days is perfect to move along, but enjoying the cool sights without ripping past them ya know?

There's camping everywhere but I bet a sweet spot could be found somewhere along Douglas Pass between Loma and Rangely after you gain some elevation.

Teleee speaks as a guy who's been around this block aplenty. Makes sense for him to avoid the Hole. But Seano has me to keep it uncrazy as best as I can. I have a highly developed skillset for avoiding the shiteshow.

Anyone ever driven from Mack CO to Bonanza UT ?
    Looks boondocky like I like it. Crosses the White river in petro/picto graph lands.

If I were rich, I'd have a little ranch along Piceance creek north of Rifle CO.

Outstanding, looking forward to meeting you.
    Take it easy, enjoy it, 2 days is perfect to move along, but enjoying the cool sights without ripping past them ya know?

There's camping everywhere but I bet a sweet spot could be found somewhere along Douglas Pass between Loma and Rangely after you gain some elevation.
    Like up near the top of Flight of Icarus...

Here is a nice spot to take a dip and camp:
    https://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvis...campground.htm
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This - except I'd suggest taking a left at Leadville, heading down to Minturn, west on 70 to Wolcott and then 131 into the Boat. Also - if you're really not in a hurry, this route up to Rock Springs is quite scenic: https://goo.gl/maps/4rjpeX7DYaVEbxyx9
    If you go this way hit me up for a beer and directions to campsites.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Here is a nice spot to take a dip and camp:
    https://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvis...campground.htm
    Awesome. Thanks MTM!
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

I've got space to park the trailer in Seattle if you want it, plus lake toys and a spare room.

WARNING. EMOTIONAL POST RETIREMENT POST AHEAD:

My friend who retired several years ago warned me I’d get misty at the drop of a hat, but still…..Despite Mrs. Seano’s repeated characterization of this site as “ the place with shit jokes and titty pics”, I really have to say thanks to all of you. The number of Mags who have reached out to offer beta, beers, and a place to crash to an Interwebs fucking stranger just blows me away. I hope I can get to see you all IRL, but if not, “thank you” seems woefully inadequate. I’m in a weird headspace right now, day+7 from leaving the Job, and can’t wait to hit the road and hopefully thank you all in Meetspace. Oh, and I have a date with a Mag named Harry in BS on the 20th. That’s my only hard deadline. I’ll keep everyone updated on this thread, ima take a shower. It’s dusty in here. Peace.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Deerlodge Park is indeed a sweet spot on the Yampa...but I'd mind the temps. That area can be blazing hot.

The number of Mags who have reached out to offer beta, beers, and a place to crash to an Interwebs fucking stranger just blows me away.
    Doesn't it though? the only thing i ever did as an afternoon at the F-lake. And a lunch and a few turns with Ice as part of a group but that was a very, very long time ago. Take "X" mag (gonna omit the name). We could not have been more different walks-of-life; so-to-speak; almost opposite ends of the country etc. and he could not have been more gracious or kind.

Looking back there is a reason why that mag's been in at least two films here. Cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Like up near the top of Flight of Icarus...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The weekend after you get into JH, Harry and some of the nearby mags are trying to get a few boats in the water for some fishing down on the South Fork of the Snake River.
    You might pencil in a day for that if it appeals. About an hour from me, cakewalk driving at sunrise.
    I'll be going on sunday and maybeeee the saturday evening float. Depends on midday temps for me, and a small work session.
    Then up to Big Sky for the shindig.

seano, check your PM.

Congrats on retirement!

Maybe I'll see you on the road. I got downsized in Dec, currently taking a year or so of retirement in advance. Starting a bikepack of the Colorado Trail from Denver tomorrow After that, will probably be up to smoke and fire activity where I head