Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Anyone heading to Kho or Revy this weekend?

Thoughts on what the conditions might be like?

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post

Very peoplie, with a yucky layer of rain crust below 7000ft.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Very peoplie, with a yucky layer of rain crust below 7000ft.
    People and Rain crust... mntlion Kryptonite.

Unrelated... Tres Hombres is opening tomorrow. I'm going to plow so many rocks. So excited. 18 seasons just staring at that terrain. Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post

Well I was up 4 times before the rain ( up to the prayer flags) and it was getting really good down low ( epic up top). Was up to the G7 corner on Wednesday ( by the top of Pioneer chair) and its some soft on hard base. Should be ok on groomers. Up top should be 15cm or so on top of pretty firm. Will be pretty chunky in places with avie debris . Will not be epic .
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Fernie is opening up for the season on Saturday, old side only.

Looks like Kicking horse is changing its boundary to include Rudi's bowl.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...owl_rpt_f1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Northskiwards View Post

Berry intradasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

ER7 opened today and lower ER5. Looks like ER3 soon too,

best Nov since 1950-51 in LL

15cm more at SSV, so much for day off (FWP)

massive power outage at LL, due to tree falling on powerline at 10am, closed the hill, lift evacs, etc.

looks like one lift might run, to get racers near the start and for race spectators.

SSV was skiing great.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Well I was up 4 times before the rain ( up to the prayer flags) and it was getting really good down low ( epic up top). Was up to the G7 corner on Wednesday ( by the top of Pioneer chair) and its some soft on hard base. Should be ok on groomers. Up top should be 15cm or so on top of pretty firm. Will be pretty chunky in places with avie debris . Will not be epic .
    was much much better than expected. Alpine was very good no rain crust at all . Felt a bit a chuck lower down but still good. From Catamount mid station down not enough snow but that was only place rock skis felt necessary. While not epic was great with no people.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

was much much better than expected. Alpine was very good no rain crust at all . Felt a bit a chuck lower down but still good. From Catamount mid station down not enough snow but that was only place rock skis felt necessary. While not epic was great with no people.
    nice, promissing report to the start of the season

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    massive power outage at LL, due to tree falling on powerline at 10am, closed the hill, lift evacs, etc.

looks like one lift might run, to get racers near the start and for race spectators.

SSV was skiing great.
    Yeah today was great, and stayed relatively soft all day considering the crowds that came over from LL. I'm hearing two stories, one the tree falling, two was a transformer blowout something or other. Anyway the site shows they're up and running tomorrow.

Great opening day at fernie.lots of pow and better than expected. Currently dumping tomorrow looking promising!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Great opening day at fernie.lots of pow and better than expected. Currently dumping tomorrow looking promising!
    Seconded. Cedar Bowl skiing particularly well.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Yeah today was great, and stayed relatively soft all day considering the crowds that came over from LL. I'm hearing two stories, one the tree falling, two was a transformer blowout something or other. Anyway the site shows they're up and running tomorrow.
    By law they have a small evacuation motor on the chairs but I am surprised that they don't have at least some chairs or Gondola equipped with a 3rd motor, a diesel that can run a lift at reduced capacity in the event of a power outage.

The power outage at LL yesterday was painful. Total buzzkill. Oh well. Another lesson in acceptance. Backside should be skiing real nice today.

I'd say the top was epic at least for the first few laps in the am. Overall great start. Was bummed to miss today as it looked bluebird when I was driving away this am...

Quote Originally Posted by Northskiwards View Post

That is very interesting and thanks for posting. The "Vail buys RCR rumours" still floating around?

Quote Originally Posted by brraaap802 View Post
    That is very interesting and thanks for posting. The "Vail buys RCR rumours" still floating around?
    Vail buying RCR is an interesting idea. I don't know if RCR has turned things around at Kicking Horse but when they bought the resort from the Obertis, KH was not profitable. Presumably Fernie and Kimberly do make money.

Busy week in Golden
    Wednesday, December 6
    A FREE Avalanche Safety Conference hosted by Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
    On Wednesday, December 6 from 6:30pm, join the Kicking Horse Safety Team.. for an evening of avalanche safety information and gear talk. Great for pre-season refresher on avalanche safety and good update on KHMR. Prizes! at Civic Centre

Thursday , December 7
    NUMINOUS- Tickets: $10 Adults / $5 Kids
    Shows are at 6p.m. & 8p.m. at Golden Theatre

Friday , December 8
    Banff Mountain Film Festival this is almost sold out so if you don't get your tickets today you won't get in. Also this year its at Rec Plex so don't go to the Civic Centre and don't be late or even on time as you don't want to be at the back on a shitty chair as the good chairs will be at the front. If you are free Friday pm and want to go for free and are able to move lots of chairs pm me and I will get you in contact with the coordinator.

So it looks like were in for a dry spell the next two weeks I talked to a Sunshine Patroller at the hut Saturday who thinks Dive will open up this week. Does history show any particular day they like to open, i.e. will they wait until Friday to keep it good for the weekend crowd? I lucked out one November a number of years ago and got it on opening day, can't remember if it was Thur or Fri, but a pretty epic day was had.

Otherwise, I'm bringing the mountain bike back out.

Question time!

I am heading to Canmore with my family for New Year's and a few days on either side. I'll have 5 days to ski, give or take. Already doing a snow dance.

My question is how to prioritize my time: seems like some people prefer Lake Louise to Sunshine Village.

Is SSV worth a visit at all?

And is it worth the drive to Kicking Horse for a day? Would love to check it out but not if the local options are just as good.

Home mountain is Squawlpine, if that's helpful. Judging by this thread, Canadian Rockies folks are a lot more relaxed than Tahovians.

Visiting KH

Sup guys,
    New to TGR, but I am heading out to KHo for a solo trip this Saturday. Would be great to find someone who really knows the area to ski with. I grew up snowboarding in New England, but transitioned to skiing last year. I wouldn't go as far to say I am an expert skier, but I've spent at least 30 days a season on stick(s) of some sort for 5 years now. Message me if you're down to show around a eager east coast skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nkane View Post
    Question time!

I am heading to Canmore with my family for New Year's and a few days on either side. I'll have 5 days to ski, give or take. Already doing a snow dance.

My question is how to prioritize my time: seems like some people prefer Lake Louise to Sunshine Village.

Is SSV worth a visit at all?

And is it worth the drive to Kicking Horse for a day? Would love to check it out but not if the local options are just as good.

Home mountain is Squawlpine, if that's helpful. Judging by this thread, Canadian Rockies folks are a lot more relaxed than Tahovians.
    If you have avalanche gear (transceiver, probe, shovel) and a partner, you can ski Delirium Dive at Sunshine which is fun alpine terrain, if it is open. Wild West likely not as it will be too early in the season. Outside of that, Sunshine has some nice pockets here and there and generally gets more snow than Lake Louise. LL has better inbounds terrain though and great views. Kicking Horse is absolutely worth a day trip, great terrain (better than SSV/LL), can be rocky that early in in the season though.

5 days, I would ski SSV then LL back to back to see how you like them, do a KH day and then back to SSV/LL whichever you prefer.