Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What to do with a subaru with a blown engine? Finding Value?

My 1998 Subaru Outback Legacy blew it's engine on tuesday. The timing belt busted, then pistons bent and now the whole engine is fucked.

It had 135,000 miles on it, and drove relatively well. It has good tires, new brakes and rotors, leather, power everything. A really nice car, until it shat the bed. Needs new struts/shocks (at least that's what the tire salesman told me a few months ago, and it did wobble a bit at hwy speeds).

So, I don't have the $2-3k for a new engine, plus putting that kind of dough into a high mileage car sounds like a bad idea to me. What is something like this worth? I know a little dealership that specializes in older subarus wants it, but I don't want the guy to low-ball me knowing that it's just sitting at a shop across town. I may try to trade it for a little 2wd commuter (We have 2 other 4wd/awd cars), and I need a little economical something to get me around town.

So, what do you think is a fair price to expect on a trade in for a nonoperational outback?

shoulda changed the timing belt when you had the chance...

See if there is a local sports car forum, maybe someone there wants a project. Otherwise, craigslist?
    sigless.

I don't know I'd rebuild, but then again try here http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

This happened to my Subaru last year. I found a guy on Craigslit that buys Subarus like this and fixes them. He gave me a good price on the sale too! If you are in the Bay Area I can put you in touch with him.

Damn, I am 25000 over on my 1999 4runner, but it is a non-interference engine I think. I am hoping to make it until summer when it will be easier to work on. My sister had a subaru which blew a motor. She got a replacement motor pulled from a car in Japan. The story I got was that they are mandated to pull motors at a relatively low milage to avoid old polluting cars. I do not know if it is true or not but she got a great deal on a motor that went a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
    Damn, I am 25000 over on my 1999 4runner, but it is a non-interference engine I think. I am hoping to make it until summer when it will be easier to work on. My sister had a subaru which blew a motor. She got a replacement motor pulled from a car in Japan. The story I got was that they are mandated to pull motors at a relatively low milage to avoid old polluting cars. I do not know if it is true or not but she got a great deal on a motor that went a long time.
    It's been a while but when I was in Japan the tax on cars goes up as they get older so that it's crazy expensive to drive a ten year old car. The best ones that get traded in get exported to places like NZ, OZ. The rest get parted out so you can get low miles motors for cheap.

Looking at car-parts.com you'd be hard pressed to pay more than $1k for an engine.

Put a new engine in, not as expensive as you think.

Figure 1600 for "new" engine if you shop around.

blown engine on a 98? Is it the 2.5 model that has that rep for blowing gaskets or is it the 2.2? I've got 193K on my 2.2 Impreza and the engine is by far the most robust part of the car and could probably tick on for a lot longer - I heard the late 90s 2.2s were the best cars they ever made?

I was planning on doing a 200K bday road trip this summer and then either selling the sucker for dirt cheap or driving it into the ground, still haven't made a decision yet. (While the engine is running great it's getting old in other ways - chassis, suspension, steering, etc) Anyways this doesn't help you because I don't have an engine to sell you anytime soon.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

DIBS!

Where you at?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

blue book minus the cost of repair
    Hello darkness my old friend

If you can get $1000 for the car I'd say you'd be lucky. Honestly if you can get $800 that'd be pretty good. It's a twelve year old car that is worth, what, $3000 in running condition? Not trying to be a dick, but that's my guess for what someone would pay for a non-running twelve year old car.

I went through the same shit a few years ago with a Montero. Blew the engine. Finally sold it for around $1000, and that was with brand new BFG A/Ts that were about $600 a few weeks before the engine blew.

Good luck.

List it as a mechanics special on craigslist. Someone will buy, fix it, and flip. You will get more than for a trade or salvage.

Or donate it to non profit and get a tax right off. Sometimes thrift stores have car programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I put a $300.00 junkyard motor in mine 2 years ago, easier and faster than doing the headgaskets, no problems since,
    it has no value with a blown motor, You'll be lucky to get $500 as it sits

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    I put a $300.00 junkyard motor in mine 2 years ago, easier and faster than doing the headgaskets, no problems since,
    it has no value with a blown motor, You'll be lucky to get $500 as it sits
    Yea, that's what we do when we buy subarus with bad motors.

Just crush it. You'll feel better.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

I blew the engine on my '97 Outback in 2006, spent $300 on a JDM engine and it was like a whole new car. I switched from a 2.5 to a 2.2 to get better mileage and noticed almost no performance change (old engine was shit anyway). Not a bad way to go if you have the ability to swap them out yourself, or a friend with a garage willing to help.
    "Papa Muntz loved skiing, papa Muntz loved drinking, but what he loved most was drinking and skiing."

part it out if you have the time.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

You should try to trade it for 150-160mm forks for your bike

Wait until you're shopping around for that 2wd commuter with $500 for a down payment from selling the Sube. When you realize you need to spend $5-6000 to get anything you'll trust, start asking yourself "what if I could just have my old car back?" Then you'll realize that your reliable car + $2500 for engine and struts is a way better deal than anything out there.
    135K is a baby for an outback. You could realistically get another 100K out of it after the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by BroGnar View Post
    I blew the engine on my '97 Outback in 2006, spent $300 on a JDM engine and it was like a whole new car. I switched from a 2.5 to a 2.2 to get better mileage and noticed almost no performance change (old engine was shit anyway). Not a bad way to go if you have the ability to swap them out yourself, or a friend with a garage willing to help.
    ding ding ding! Those 2.2s are awesome ... mine was purring particularly nicely today and I realized how much I still really love that thing.

I was showing some business partner Norwegians around town in my beat up scooby (I have a red door on a blue car) without shame, and they totally dug it being the cool worldly Oslo cats they are. They even complemented me on my Nokians.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

sube w/ blown engine...$500

You may come out ahead to just throw $1000 at a junkyard engine and install to get it running and then sell it.

sell it now for 500 or spend 1000 on engine/install and sell it for 2500 and sit with 1500 (adjust numbers as needed.)

either way you're less a subaru and + some cash...option 2 nets you $1K more...you know?

YO! TECH!!!!! For realz, man... If it's just sitting there all blown up, let me know if you'd be willing to part with the following items- for a fee of course...

Driver's door 4-window switch (the plate that has all 4 on it, it will come right off as one big unit)
    Rear hatch handle.

I really do need these parts, and if you're in the NE, I might be interested in your seats too. Don't let those subie parts go to waste!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Bump

My 2012 Outback's engine just blew-up ("cylinders not firing") at 79k miles. $6k+ for a used engine + labor.

--- End rant
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Definitely go buy another one because they are "GREAT CARS"!

A raised bed planter would be sweet cuz yanno love.
    watch out for snakes