Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TREX Decks

We've got several thousand sq. ft. of composite decking... It's been down anywhere from 4 to 10 years, and we've had almost no issues with it. Some is trex, some is another brand I can't recall at the moment. I guess we'll cross our fingers and keep an eye on it....

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ipe has a class 1 fire rating, or whatever it is concrete has. Check and see what they say at the city offices.
    Ipe burns just as well as any other wood. I burned my scraps in the campfire after I finished my deck, and was surprised at how fast they burned.

Ipe has a Class A Fire rating. Chucking chunks of it into a fire is one thing, but getting a deck to burn is another.
    An incredibly durable Brazilian Hardwood rated by the US Forest Lab for 25 years plus. Naturally resistant to fire (rated class A by the NFPA or class 1 by the UBC) insects, moisture, and movement, this air dried hardwood (16-20%) is perfect for exterior commercial and residential applications such as decks, docks, or exterior furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Ipe has a Class A Fire rating. Chucking chunks of it into a fire is one thing, but getting a deck to burn is another.
    Color me surprised. Good to know my deck will be there after my house burns down I still doubt it's fire resistance is as high as concrete (don't know it's fire rating and google didn't help), which is what I was disputing.

Quote Originally Posted by kttate75 View Post
    It's also referred to as Brazilian Redwood.
    Ipe is also known as Iron Wood or Brazilian Walnut. Brazilian Redwood is Paraju or Massaranduba.

I just finished an Ipe deck in the foothills of CO, and yes, Ipe does meet Fire Code.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by DJMingus View Post
    jeebus that's bad news Labelle - I'm in eastern boulder cty and have expected to add some wood decking to my existing deck. Are you saying the county code doesn't allow wood decking or is that maybe a mountain/fire danger thing?
    I don't know the specifics for the city of Boulder -- the restrictions are different outside the city limits. It also seems that the restrictions are different if you're building a new 'structures' versus adding on to an existing.

This stuff looks like the Shizzle http://www.tigerwooddecking.com/
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by yonskion View Post
    This stuff looks like the Shizzle http://www.tigerwooddecking.com/
    I dunno, it comes in second to Ipe on their own page. http://www.tigerwooddecking.com/comparison.html

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    What are some good composite options out there if you don't have the choice of real wood? We can't build a wood deck due to building code.
    Timber Tech or Geo Deck if you want to go tongue and groove.
    Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I dunno, it comes in second to Ipe on their own page. http://www.tigerwooddecking.com/comparison.html

2nd that. Tigerwood is only a little harder than Hickory. It does look really good for interior use though. I put it in our sun and living room.

Here's Ipe installed on our deck.

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post

Sweet railing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sweet railing.
    How do you think my 3 year old learned to huck like you.

I decided to add one when she started riding her bike, just haven't added any new pix.

If anyone does Ipe don't use the T&G unless it will be fully covered from moisture forever. It will swell and buckle.

Bumping this thread because we're finally building our deck...

Any more recent feedback on Trex decks? It seems it has improved since the problems with the material from the Nevada plant, but I wanted to see if anyone had recent experience. We cannot build a wood deck due to fire code in Boulder County, so it has to be composite. IPE is an option under the code, but out of the budget so it will be composite.

I have been reading a lot about it molding, but I'm thinking that should not be a problem in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Bumping this thread because we're finally building our deck...

Any more recent feedback on Trex decks? It seems it has improved since the problems with the material from the Nevada plant, but I wanted to see if anyone had recent experience. We cannot build a wood deck due to fire code in Boulder County, so it has to be composite. IPE is an option under the code, but out of the budget so it will be composite.

I have been reading a lot about it molding, but I'm thinking that should not be a problem in CO.
    What's the sq. ft. cost of the material you're intending to install ? You can by Ipe direct from importers for a pretty reasonable cost with a fastening system included in the cost.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

We have a trex deck that is almost four years old and besides being a bit faded is in excellent shape. I've done nothing but hose it off occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    We have a trex deck that is almost four years old and besides being a bit faded is in excellent shape. I've done nothing but hose it off occasionally.

They have gotten better. What about the heat ? I've had clients tell me it gets incredibly hot in the direct summer sun.

hardwood scraps make a sweet fire

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    What's the sq. ft. cost of the material you're intending to install ? You can by Ipe direct from importers for a pretty reasonable cost with a fastening system included in the cost.
    Glad to see this thread pop back up. I am in the process of replacing pressure treated and stained 2 x 4 decking on our 16 x 30 deck. How is the maintenance on the lpe and is there a direct importer that you can recommend. Hated the thought of putting expensive plastic on the deck.
    Red-i-XS

Thanks for bumping.
    Due to endemic termite infestation in Panama I am loathe to build a deck from wood for that house. I was interested in Trex, and other composites, but saw in their applications in Florida that it quickly faded, molded, buckled, and twisted in the constant, direct sunlight. So, I'm skeptical. This only reinforces my opinion. I'll look into ipe as an option, though I still remain wary of any wood application in my area. Anyone know if ipe is naturally repellent to termites? Looking for a long-term solution, not replacing my deck every 5 years.

IPE is the way to go. I installed one about 3 years ago and left it unfinished. It turns gray but there is basically no maintenance other than washing it in the spring to get rid of the mildew (I am in Seattle). The downsides are as mentioned before, very heavy and dense, wears down blades and bits. You MUST pre-drill holes and seal every cut with a wax product immediately after cutting. A great place to get it relatively cheap is www.eastteak.com, they basically distribute it to the local retailers. Going through these guys it was about 40% cheaper than the local lumber yards.
    Last edited by timeo; 04-28-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Bolton - I don't know about termites but IPE is fucking dense, dense, dense so if anything is going to deter them this is it.
    Last edited by timeo; 04-28-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Learn something new everyday...
    I'm down there next week or so - I'll look for IPE at the wood-getting place. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    I just finished an Ipe deck in the foothills of CO, and yes, Ipe does meet Fire Code.
    Does anyone know how Ipe stands up to the dry heat in CO? Rainforest wood is liable to dryout and crack in the low humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by link1 View Post
    Glad to see this thread pop back up. I am in the process of replacing pressure treated and stained 2 x 4 decking on our 16 x 30 deck. How is the maintenance on the lpe and is there a direct importer that you can recommend. Hated the thought of putting expensive plastic on the deck.
    Little to no maintenance. You can oil it to maintain its brown hue. I went on the inter web and found a co. Ga. Or somewhere that was pretty damn cost effective. I'll find the name and post it.

Good question on the dry heat. My thoughts are that because of it's density and grain structure it will hold up to pretty much any climate. This shit is like concrete a piece of oak feels like balsa wood when a similar piece of ipe is held for comparison. And it will cause more curse words than any product I've ever seen as it's being worked.