Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Drivers

Teenage Drivers

Ok Mags, here’s the deal. I have twin teenage daughters. They got their provisional drivers licenses back in November. Here in NM, the age requirement is 15 years, 8 months to drive solo, which they have been doing.....Until now. Thing One got two speeding tickets in the span of two weeks ( one for going 67 in a 35!!!!), and Thing Two failed to yield and got t-boned in an intersection (she’s fine, thank Dog)......My insurance is gonna be fucked, and I’m arguing with my whole goddamned family that they aren’t ready to drive right now......What says the collective? What are the laws where you live? How did you navigate the teenage driver saga????????
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Haven't had to navigate that but I have two boys who will be driving in few years.

Would making them pay the additional insurance costs because of their fuck ups be reasonable?

Get them large safe vehicles, they’re going to crash them.

I've got a 20yo, 19yo, and 16yo (all boys) on insurance presently. Fortunately, they have all been "late bloomers" in that none of them got their actual licenses to drive solo until well after their 16th birthdays.

But yeah... even 16 is too young, IMO for solo driving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Haven't had to navigate that but I have two boys who will be driving in few years.

Would making them pay the additional insurance costs because of their fuck ups be reasonable?
    That’s the plan but they don’t have jobs yet so......their allowance is my money anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Get them large safe vehicles, they’re going to crash them.
    I was actually pleasantly surprised with Thing Two’s Elantra......It took a shot and was still drivable, the other car not so much......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Wasn't your insurance fucked *before* all this poor-driving fuckery??

I'd personally suspend the speeder's driving privileges and only allow the crasher to do supervised driving...

By its very definition Auto Insurance is fucked.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    By its very definition Auto Insurance is fucked.
    You're not wrong. My monthly insurance is *way* more than any car payment I've ever had.

Two daughters..(now 20/19).....Subaru Forester and a Crosstrek....

I always had Erie Insurance (auto/home) since forever....but when I had to put girls on insurance a few years back, the rates went so high I had to switch to Progressive. Hated to switch, but just had to because the rates skyrocketed.

Still using Progressive and have not had any issues......the app is convenient as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Wasn't your insurance fucked *before* all this poor-driving fuckery??

I'd personally suspend the speeder's driving privileges and only allow the crasher to do supervised driving...
    Lol yes it was, but now it’s gonna be super-fucked.......And yes, that is what is happening, and it’s a goddamned shitshow in the Seano household.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Heh, exactly. It’s compounded by Mrs. Seano arguing that not having to be parental Uber drivers (practices etc.) needs to be considered.....Fuck it, I’m officially day drinking.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

New Mexico drivers will speed like a madman thru town and do 50 on the open highway. Thing one appears to have the first part figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Heh, exactly. It’s compounded by Mrs. Seano arguing that not having to be parental Uber drivers (practices etc.) needs to be considered.....Fuck it, I’m officially day drinking.
    Is she arguing this *after* said speeding and t-boning incidents?? If so... Dog speed, my good man... Dog speed.

Is she arguing this *after* said speeding and t-boning incidents?? If so... Dog speed, my good man... Dog speed.
    She is indeed....We both work full time, so the very brief time period they could drive themselves was good, but I’m drawing the line in the sand.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

in VT you are eligible to get a learner's permit at 15 which does not allow solo driving. You need to have that for a year plus take drivers ed and log supervised hours. You have to be minimum 16 to get a junior operators license. Can't take passengers. After 3 months you drive around immediate family members. At 6 mos you can take other passengers. You don't get a real license until 18. We had to force the 22yo to learn to drive and she was well into 17 before she got her license. Our 18yo was well into 16 when he got his. Thing #3 turns 16 tomorrow and is the one we are worried about. He has made sure that he got his permit as soon as possible. He tests for Jr Op on Thursday. Unless he keeps being an ass. He's on notice that his behavior has been less than stellar and that we can and will pull the plug on the privilege to take the test if he keeps it up. He's calmed down a little this week. The older two kids were mellow, responsible, and compliant. He's always testing us. Fortunately they all get good grades, so far, which gets us a small discount on sky high insurance. I could have a nice ski vacation in Europe for what we pay, and it's gonna go up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    New Mexico drivers will speed like a madman thru town and do 50 on the open highway. Thing one appears to have the first part figured out.
    True story.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

You said they got their license, but who taught them to drive?

Whatever you do, if it's easy for you, you're doing it wrong. I think I'd make the speeder drive me wherever mom and I needed to go for a month. And let her drive anywhere she wanted with friends with you in the back seat.

When my daughter totaled the car we were sued 3 years later for $1mil. My rates from State Farm didn't go up and they paid me 15% more than Blue Book for the totaled car. I don't know what the settlement ended up being. We just got sued for $1.5 mil on a 3 year old accident (wife fault) so here we go again. Zoom trial by judge next month. Guy is claiming back problems after 3 years of posting his mountain climbing and white water kayaking trips around the world in social media. A local Dewey Cheatem & Howe got to him.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Stay strong seano. You already know the right move.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    You said they got their license, but who taught them to drive?

Whatever you do, if it's easy for you, you're doing it wrong. I think I'd make the speeder drive me wherever mom and I needed to go for a month. And let her drive anywhere she wanted with friends with you in the back seat.

When my daughter totaled the car we were sued 3 years later for $1mil. My rates didn't go up and they paid me 15% more than Blue Book for the totaled car. I don't know what the settlement ended up being. We just got sued for $1.5 mil on a 3 year old accident (wife fault) so here we go again. Zoom trial by judge next month.
    Jeebus........They went through the mandated drivers Ed program....Vibes and good luck.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    ...Fuck it, I’m officially day drinking.
    Good strategy! Take away the keys AND be drunk so you can't drive them. They'll get sick of not going anywhere right quick made worse by having to hang out with drunk dad. There's always bicycles.

Our insurance didn't go up much at all when my 16 yo daughter got on. I was surprised. Of course I don't pay for collision, just liability. So far so good, no tickets or accidents. Knock on wood.

We had to do 50 hours of driving with her and we did that and more. Not sure all parents do.

Darling daughter - First car was a beat to shit salvage title Volvo wagon. Safe and going fast was not possible. Ran it into the ground and now drives a 2008 CRV. Going fast is still not an option.

Awesome son - First car was a '98 single cab four banger Tacoma with MT. Teaching him to drive a manual was hell, but it's really a brilliant move. None of his friends could drive it, makes it difficult to text and drive, and he can't load up a bunch of derelict friends into it.

We taught all three to drive MT. The girl was pissed. Then she started taking the MT because it was smaller and easier to manouver than the minivan. MT is an important life skill. If there's a social collapse I want her to be able to drive as many things as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Darling daughter - First car was a beat to shit salvage title Volvo wagon. Safe and going fast was not possible. Ran it into the ground and now drives a 2008 CRV. Going fast is still not an option.

Awesome son - First car was a '98 single cab four banger Tacoma with MT. Teaching him to drive a manual was hell, but it's really a brilliant move. None of his friends could drive it, makes it difficult to text and drive, and he can't load up a bunch of derelict friends into it.
    A four-banger Toyota pickup will also strongly encourage looking and thinking ahead, they don't exactly have a lot of extra power.

One of the few times I've seen my dad truly frustrated without someone in the household being intentionally obnoxious was when he was trying to teach me to drive stick in his Jetta. At one point, he made me switch back to the passenger seat so he could try to figure out how I was managing to stall a car he could get rolling in second with no throttle. (Spoiler: I just wasn't very good at it.)

Two days later, I picked up my first vehicle--89 Toyota pickup, 2WD xtracab with the manual transmission and the four-hamster engine, and drove it back to college. I wish I thought I'd be able to find one like it in 15(+?) years when my daughter needs to learn, but I don't think my wife would approve even if I did. If you can drive a 2WD manual pickup in the snow, you should be able to figure out any more appropriate rig.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app