Page 743 of 884 FirstFirst ... 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 ... LastLast
Results 18,551 to 18,575 of 22100
    I’m too poor to ski Big Sky, we’re over here cooking cheesy dogs and skiing mom/pop hills in the sun/cold. Fun anyway. Being alive is fun enough. Zero lift lines per usual.

Name:  45CBE08D-EA53-4467-8963-F1F6C63BDD8F.jpeg
Views: 460
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  04B6A6B3-A4B1-4D80-A7C5-B637788105C9.jpeg
Views: 456
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  CEE6357B-792C-4B79-BBB9-13A9BEA426F8.jpeg
Views: 451
Size:  103.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    I love great divide. Their 8 inches was more like 3. Regardless, untracked and no lines.
    I mean it was 8 inches in spots...and total windfuckery in other spots. But yeah, the lack of a shitshow makes up for a lot.

I'm thinking Wednesday will be a good time to sneak back to Big Sky for a good intersection of soft snow, open terrain, and lack of crowds. I did notice they got the tram open this afternoon, was probably epic. Hope swimmy got some good pics!

I think BB should hold off opening slushies until Monday. It's just the responsible thing to do.

If only I could make it a week without my kid getting me sick from daycare… looking at some nice numbers this morning.
    Is this a roll call? Checking in.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Also, the “overnight” lot at big sky was hilarious. I want to know what the official deal is with that place.

What's your windshield going to look like after this winter? My God my truck is getting machine gunned. Why do they call it "sanding" the roads when they're using boulders?

Name:  98221Qn.png
Views: 445
Size:  672.5 KB

Also, the “overnight” lot at big sky was hilarious. I want to know what the official deal is with that place.
    Affordable housing

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Affordable housing
    How else do they keep employees?

They don't. Rinse and repeat.

The wait was for them to open terrain. And it was closer to 4 hours not counting time in line at Swifty.

But it was worth every second. We scored first bucket, conditions were all time, and it will be a day I will always remember.

Here's Whiteroom gettin' some

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    The wait was for them to open terrain. And it was closer to 4 hours not counting time in line at Swifty.

But it was worth every second. We scored first bucket, conditions were all time, and it will be a day I will always remember.

That looks quite nice.

Appreciate the perpetual stoke. Great pics as always!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Hell yes dude! These photos are awesome. The sky really was that amazing blinding blue. Only 6 or 7 turns farther down and it was back below the clouds. Worth the fucking wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Thanks, we were so fortunate that day, there easily could have been a snow-cat and operator at the top of Shedhorn clearing the top terminal or lift ops or Lift Maintenance working of the chair.

Back then the departments didn't communicate worth a damn and we were constantly getting employees moving underneath us when we were doing control. Changing that culture alone was a major
    headache.

To counter the anticipated lawsuits, we developed an explosives training program that eventually was adopted by the NSAA (Natl. Ski Areas Assoc.) as a standard for all patrols and through our work along with that of the Patrol Dirs. and SS Dirs. from Alpine Meadows, Snowbrid, Alta, JHMR, Crystal and other Class-A areas it has become an industry standard for explosives handling. With that program the explosives industry made the decision to continue to supply product to ski areas for avalanche control. There was a very real danger of losing that access completely.

When I started the Moonlight Snow Safety program one of the 1st things we did was start sending 3-4 staff members a year to Canada to take CAA L1 and L2 courses until the US began offering a similar set of programs. I ran into a former staff member last Monday just before my misadventure. She was heading to the Tetons later this month for a Pro level class there. Good to see that tradition still lives and maybe she and HMS can bond some, her hubby is a Mag and all around good guy.
    Very cool to read about.

Way to do the time and charge the Lone peak...

Not everyone pays da moniez, gets off their asses and pounds the pow.
    Solid work Mags.

Not as much snow, but Whitefish had some clear sky at least. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFC035D1-099F-423F-A145-55D5E7DD0AF3.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	445031
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88AD9490-09BC-4067-AF0E-E6C5FE04DE7E.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	445032

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Holy effing shit what an amazing trip.

Huge thanks to Mohshishid/WRG, swimmy, and others for showing me what’s up and having me tag along. Flat out fell in love w Big Sky. So freaking rad. Can see easily why you guys have stayed here (terrain and vibe-wise, beyond just the once-every-five-yrs storm)…

Today was…. Ridiculous. One of the top 5 runs of my life on liberty I reckon, and lots more fun on Dakota, and even a couple powderseeker laps and early Ramcharger were really fun.

Totally worth the 2-hr wait for first tram.

Absolutely cannot wait to come back for some wind blown blue sky (semi blue??) sphincter tightening semi-mountaineering shit on the Gullies, Headwaters, etc.

FYI for tomorrow, for those who brave the cold: my last lap today was whatever patch of glades soon after Screamin Left that connects the Dakota catwalk to the shedhorn catwalk. Still almost totally untouched at 3:10 and I would lap it exuberantly if I had the option… Really good stuff.

Here’s a few DB links to my most fun laps today, liberty included (start at about 1:00, and put the volume at... moderate).

Getting my $40 worth on Ramcharger:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fdv8ih334...%2028.MP4?dl=0

Erika’s?? Screamin’ Left? Loved this lap:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m2lvcc5fs...%2028.MP4?dl=0

And again. Stayed fresh all day!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8xign69z5...20FUN.MP4?dl=0

TOTALLY FREAKING EPIC on Liberty. Should’ve been patient from the top and let swimmy do his thing… 🥴 (again, skip to about 1:00)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxhj9ycg8w...%2023.MP4?dl=0

Also couple clips for recon sake. Jesus did those AZ chutes look tasty... Gullies too.

From the bottom:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrlki4jewv...hutes.MP4?dl=0

From the tram, with a little tingle in my balls:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulbd344bgv...%2028.MP4?dl=0

FWIW, 4 yr of med school in New Orleans was a bit of a mindfuck/big downer for literally a full decade but as audio in liberty clip clearly suggests, the obnoxiously pervasively stoked bell-to-bell loud-mahonkin' young bayou boy named Gosey has been resurrected.
    🤟

Thanks again to all who helped in the methodical assassination of the bug up my ass. Goddamn what a rad trip... Can't wait to show my boy and get him up to MT in a few yrs!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Appreciate the perpetual stoke. Great pics as always!
    Heck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Hell yes dude! These photos are awesome. The sky really was that amazing blinding blue. Only 6 or 7 turns farther down and it was back below the clouds. Worth the fucking wait.
    I'll be riding the stoke of this one for a while. The entire experience from start to finish was really special.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Way to do the time and charge the Lone peak...

Not everyone pays da moniez, gets off their asses and pounds the pow.
    Solid work Mags.
    "Do the time is right" and I appreciate that you recognize the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    TOTALLY FREAKING EPIC on Liberty. Should’ve been patient from the top and let swimmy do his thing… 若 (again, skip to about 1:00)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxhj9ycg8w...%2023.MP4?dl=0
    "Wind affected my ass"

No shit, the snow was perfect. But not only that, the fact you could drop in on almost any line from the top of the traverse without hitting rocks was awesome. Guessing the storm came in with very little wind and very seldom (if ever) have I gotten conditions that good.

I did manage to grab a couple of souvenirs for you to take home. Good luck with your work stuff and see ya next time.

This gets me so fired up.

Stoked to see you mags getting the goods.

And sharing them.

Western Hospitality at it's Finest.

Great pics….what were the temps while standing in line?

This gets me so fired up.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Great pics….what were the temps while standing in line?
    Thanks!

It was chilly. Nothing like today but you had to keep moving to stay warm. Around 11 or so the sun started peaking through and while we were all pretty numb by that point, it helped.

Liberty was the highlight but Dakota was spectacular as well. Got in a few laps before the mob showed up. Even then, singles line was in effect. I was in ski mode at that point and not too focused on pics. But I did get one.

It is a meat locker out there today. I'm taking the day off and will be sitting by the fire watching football. The last four days were so fun and I got more than I needed.

Curious though, think they'll open tram?

If the sun is out, you can bet on it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Curious though, think they'll open tram?
    I am curious if the repairs to Six Shooter will be done by tomorrow to open up the northside and those untouched areas off of Lone Tree. Hopefully the reapir issues aren't like Headwaters and Lone Moose.

Sick photos swimmy. Radness