Page 19 of 135 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Yay capitalism? I think it's more yay sovereign rights. Washoe can do whatever they want with their land, and they should.

And the mill is a nice touch to Carson honestly. Gotta keep things rough around the edges, I don't need to see any more fur and Audi's on Carson St than I already do
    I'm all for property rights, but respect for that doesn't mean I'm thrilled about a big factory opening at the end of my street. There are existing industrial areas that would have been way easier to build on and better suited for transport access, but the real reason they built it there is that they didn't have to deal with the State or County for any permitting. Building something like that elsewhere would not have happened so quickly.

Most concerning about it (aside from the noise) is that they are going to drill a well and use something like 50,000 gallons of water per day to spray down the logs. Oh, and dozens and dozens of log trucks on 50 through S Lake every day is sweet, right?

And anyway, this is Douglas County. We're both more snooty and more aggressively "Clark county is not the real Nevada" than Carson.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLove View Post
    Money hold has been an issue, no doubt. But in the case of Silverado in particular, they have a real issue with emergency access. They need to be able evac an injured skier out of there, which means having enough snow to get a motorized vehicle/sled in there to the bottom. For Silverado that takes a lot of snow cover, even more than what is needed to make it skiable back there. But I can’t disagree that sometimes it’s just about paying to staff and run a lift that only a few experts will hit.
    Yet Heavenly, which is infamous for junkshow mountain ops, somehow manages to run both Mott and Galaxy -- Mott runs a lot more than Silverado does, every day from opening until spring closing -- and I guarantee there's no way to get anyone out of the bottom to the Carson Valley.

Squaw has always had that "You're lucky we even let you ski here, pleb" attitude. SITE OF THE 1784 WINTER OLYMPICS!!!11!!1!1

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Yet Heavenly, which is infamous for junkshow mountain ops, somehow manages to run both Mott and Galaxy -- Mott runs a lot more than Silverado does, every day from opening until spring closing -- and I guarantee there's no way to get anyone out of the bottom to the Carson Valley.

Squaw has always had that "You're lucky we even let you ski here, pleb" attitude. SITE OF THE 1784 WINTER OLYMPICS!!!11!!1!1
    That's like saying Squaw would have to evacuate people to Sugar Bowl. Mott also has an access road that that doesn't even really have to have coverage. But if Mott has coverage then the access road is always covered too. There is no road going to silverado so it has to have enough coverage to make one. For Galaxy the run is the access road and sleds can easily go back up it. It's also important that the base of Mott is at 8,300' and Silverado is at 6,800'
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I'm all for property rights, but respect for that doesn't mean I'm thrilled about a big factory opening at the end of my street. There are existing industrial areas that would have been way easier to build on and better suited for transport access, but the real reason they built it there is that they didn't have to deal with the State or County for any permitting. Building something like that elsewhere would not have happened so quickly.

Most concerning about it (aside from the noise) is that they are going to drill a well and use something like 50,000 gallons of water per day to spray down the logs. Oh, and dozens and dozens of log trucks on 50 through S Lake every day is sweet, right?

And anyway, this is Douglas County. We're both more snooty and more aggressively "Clark county is not the real Nevada" than Carson.
    Oh it's not for you, it's more of a Shelbyville idea

Oh, and dozens and dozens of log trucks on 50 through S Lake every day is sweet, right?
    The alternative is "Let's just let 200,000 acres of dead trees rot in place, instead of using them for lumber," which is what would happen if they weren't able to put up the mill right away. Turning a bunch of dead burnt crap into usable resources is the most environmentally sound thing we could possibly do at this juncture.

I was at (working) the Tahoe Fund's meeting last week with members of the FS and the head of Tahoe Forest Products as well as CalFire, TRPA, etc. According to everyone there the best way to be able to thin our forests is to create the entire chain from logging to milling to selling. The problem is that mills don't just require an upfront commitment but they need to know that the financial commitment or opportunity is going to be there for 20 years+. Same thing for hiring all the loggers, masticators, etc.

On a side note they have created some super cool software that seems to be an extension of CalTopo for planning these projects. Of note was that historically in the Tahoe basin there have been 15-20 trees/acre and now much of it, especially the west shore is around 120/acre and much of that is the same age.

Dealing with the post fire salvage log trucks and milling ops will always be an inconvenience. It could result in loss of property value and other adverse effects to the communities. Possibly some benefits, too. There are adverse effects of not quickly harvesting and milling the salvage timber. Hopefully, the mill is planned to provide other forest products beyond lumber. Forest products from mechanical fuel treatment will include a lot of wood that will not be marketable for lumber.

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I was at (working) the Tahoe Fund's meeting last week with members of the FS and the head of Tahoe Forest Products as well as CalFire, TRPA, etc. According to everyone there the best way to be able to thin our forests is to create the entire chain from logging to milling to selling. The problem is that mills don't just require an upfront commitment but they need to know that the financial commitment or opportunity is going to be there for 20 years+. Same thing for hiring all the loggers, masticators, etc.

On a side note they have created some super cool software that seems to be an extension of CalTopo for planning these projects. Of note was that historically in the Tahoe basin there have been 15-20 trees/acre and now much of it, especially the west shore is around 120/acre and much of that is the same age.
    I wonder what avg diameter and height those 15-20 per acres were. I’m guess much larger than most currently growing in the basin

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    The alternative is "Let's just let 200,000 acres of dead trees rot in place, instead of using them for lumber," which is what would happen if they weren't able to put up the mill right away. Turning a bunch of dead burnt crap into usable resources is the most environmentally sound thing we could possibly do at this juncture.
    I'm absolutely not suggesting that they should abandon those trees. Salvage logging is great when done with care.

My only complaints are that they sited the sawmill beside a residential neighborhood rather than in an existing industrial area and that they are sidestepping the major externality of huge water use by just drilling an unregulated well (which will be 1/4 from mine and likely much deeper).

Also a couple of the log trucks close-passed me while I was riding my bike on 50 over the summer. Change lanes before passing, motherfucker!

Anyway, back to the snow, which seems to be on its way this weekend. Here's hoping this dump heals our snowpack a bit. I'm going to leave for the Bay to help my sister move next week, so that should ensure excellent skiing conditions.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yep. There was a section that compared pre comstock photos to contemporary. Kind of like this from 2012. There were some old growth for sure, but just as important was the age diversity
    http://tahoescience.org/wp-content/u...esentation.pdf

Anyone looking for a cheap set of Honda wheels and studded snows? Nokian Hakka 8s, wear mostly at 6, one 4. $250, I’m in Auburn or can meet certain days in Soda Springs / Sugarbowl. Tires stored in crawlspace out of the sun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4876.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	437392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4873.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	437393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4874.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	437394.

Wheels are

Center Bore: 64.1 mm
    – PCD: 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
    Last edited by neufox47; 12-08-2022 at 12:54 PM.

I'm absolutely not suggesting that they should abandon those trees. Salvage logging is great when done with care.

My only complaints are that they sited the sawmill beside a residential neighborhood rather than in an existing industrial area and that they are sidestepping the major externality of huge water use by just drilling an unregulated well (which will be 1/4 from mine and likely much deeper).
    The state still has to give approval for any domestic wells because there needs to be water rights associated with them, it doesn’t matter if it’s Tribal. Tribes still have to go through many of the same regulatory hurdles anyone else does aside from local government regulations, ie if the land is held in Trust they likely didn’t need to apply for a domestic well permit through the county. Which they shouldn’t need to, as they’re sovereign.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I love the way storms come in with a line across the sky. This one had tendrils of virga dangling down. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4029.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	437434
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Windbuff today...oh so good at select locations in the "Not Palisades Tahoe" section of Palisades Tahoe.

(just steering the conversation back toward skiing)

Also, hear it might snow a bit this weekend...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Yea that's a fair point about 50. The bottom intersection is an absolute nightmare already, seeing a log truck coming down that grade would be a bit terrifying.

Good times with Mz Bobz on Chickadee today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4651.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	901.0 KB 
ID:	437461
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	694.5 KB 
ID:	437462

Name:  IMG_3749.png
Views: 787
Size:  520.6 KB

Yeah, Rose was doing a Mammy style wind action. Bumps getting filled in too. (The ones they hadn't groomed out).
    And hella cloudy with a chance of ufo clouds. So cold with that wind.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221208_153746.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	437467

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

According to Truckee radio we're going to get 22 inches of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Name:  IMG_3749.png
Views: 787
Size:  520.6 KB
    Today's forecast bumps that up to 69". It's always a good thing when they are getting stronger as they approach.

KT was good for three runs and then broke down. We're sitting on the third chair up from the bottom and they're running the generator. Send snacks
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I’m so happy for you!

🥶
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    KT was good for three runs and then broke down. We're sitting on the third chair up from the bottom and they're running the generator. Send snacks
    But was it worth it??

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    But was it worth it??
    For a free cup of hot cocoa?

Sorry, did you not feel my stoke? Absolutely! That 6" went a long way! Skied like more than a foot. Wind helped it fill in and made it a little denser so not hitting any except the most obvious rocks. Hit east bowl, GS bowl, west face, got face shots somewhere on each run.