Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This isn't good. Hopefully it turns out well.

new-hampshire-officials-search-missing-hiker
    Wonder if she was an experienced hiker. Depending on what trail she took up Lafayette, it can be pretty demanding, especially this time of year. Hope she's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Wonder if she was an experienced hiker. Depending on what trail she took up Lafayette, it can be pretty demanding, especially this time of year. Hope she's ok.
    Sounds like she was fairly experienced summer hiker. They're saying she didn't have any lighting, much food, and was in sneakers. Hopefully she just blew town for whatever reason and is not lost on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Sounds like she was fairly experienced summer hiker. They're saying she didn't have any lighting, much food, and was in sneakers. Hopefully she just blew town for whatever reason and is not lost on the hill.
    Sunday in the Whites, especially if attempting Lafayette, wasn’t a hike. It was an expedition into the frozen abyss of the arctic. I fear for her safety and pray for her survival.

This isn't good. Hopefully it turns out well.

new-hampshire-officials-search-missing-hiker
    "dropped off Sunday morning at the Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia, with the intended hiking route of Mount Lafayette, Haystack and Flume."

That's a full day in the summer and fall. If she had been dropped at the tram and was doing Greenleaf out and back, she could turn around. The franconia ridge from flume to haystack is totally exposed and Sunday would have been just a windswept frozen mess. I hope she is ok

I will be going to loon opening day because cannon won't be open this weekend. Ask for change.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    "dropped off Sunday morning at the Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia, with the intended hiking route of Mount Lafayette, Haystack and Flume."

That's a full day in the summer and fall. If she had been dropped at the tram and was doing Greenleaf out and back, she could turn around. The franconia ridge from flume to haystack is totally exposed and Sunday would have been just a windswept frozen mess. I hope she is ok
    https://www.wmur.com/article/new-ham...2122/42024350#

Agreed. Sunday above treeline would have required full winter preparation. From the brief description of her gear, exposure/hypothermia could have easily set in.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

At this point there is little hope of a good outcome unless she was picked up by someone soon after her mother dropped her off. It doesn't take much winter experience to know that sneakers are a poor choice for hiking to 5200'.
    Really sad as her 20th birthday is tomorrow.

Swiss women training here today.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The story definitely doesn't make much sense. This article mentions her mom dropped her off just before 5AM on Sunday, it would have been pitch black and freezing cold at that time. Not sure what mom would have let their kid start hiking in those conditions in sneakers and without any sort of headlamp/flashlight.

https://wgme.com/news/local/crews-co...-fish-and-game

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I think there are still Stripers here in Boston, feels like the season lasted an extra month.
    Subscribed

And yeh fish still around in jersey - still trying to get out there again before skiing really gets goin - been pretty active 'round tip of da hook

Hell, I came close to hypothermia in July hiking the ridge north to Lafayette. Hot and humid when we started, up Falling Waters to the Ridge. Could see the storm approaching the notch but thought we could beat it to Greenleaf. We were wrong. All's well that ends well for me but I fear it's not going to be the same outcome for young Emily...

I'm not expecting anything good to come of this, I know what the weather was Sunday night/Monday at 3k in Maine, sneakers and "exercise pants" would have put me hypothermic very quickly.

Tragic, but what are people thinking?

Hers hoping the information is spotty and she really was prepared.

Nice to see familiar names again after a busy spring and summer! Smuggs is opening Friday for Pass holders and resort guests, then its off to the races for everyone this weekend. Hoping the precip stays frozen in the higher elevation, will be a close call.
    It took 3 springs and summers and falls, but I finally finished my deck project, sans a few tweaks, bells and whistles to wait for next spring. Tons of storage space underneath and virtually bone dry. House has sprung no leaks, cars are winterized, perimeter fence has held the hounds from escaping and everyone is healthy. I'm sittin' pretty in titty sparkle city. Hope to see a few of you this season and happy thanksgiving!

Name:  IMG_5167.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  85.7 KB
    Silent....but shredly.

Anybody know..does/will Sugarbush do their transferable quad pack anymore?

^ Pretty sure it was already on sale. If not available now, it could be sold out already? Paging Vt-F...

ETA: Going to Okemo today for a few runs before our trek west for the holiday (not far enough west...)

BC. missed the sale, it ended sometime last week. Also had increased in price to $499 with a new midweek option for $399, likely +tax but sure of that.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

We may need a do-over on this thread in order to reset the weather pattern. If you want to have a Happy Thanksgiving you may not want to peek at the 10 day....

Yeah I am beginning to cast my gaze north to the chic chocs

Eastcoast Roll Call TwoTwo/TwoThree A Slow Start to a Big Finish

I feel like your gaze is always pointed north….unless you are glading at BMOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Yeah I am beginning to cast my gaze north to the chic chocs
    north but let’s not forget east!

14” on the ground at the visitors center currently.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Yes my neck has developed a crook. Besides the mines hut I was fortunate to get four nights in the Asulkan Cabin with friends this February. There’s still two nights free for one when we are there, just saying

Edit to add current webcam at discovery center
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF545612-C2AD-47D4-85B8-E6EBB7385203.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	605.2 KB 
ID:	435148

Eastcoast Roll Call TwoTwo/TwoThree A Slow Start to a Big Finish

At this point there is little hope of a good outcome unless she was picked up by someone soon after her mother dropped her off. It doesn't take much winter experience to know that sneakers are a poor choice for hiking to 5200'.
    Really sad as her 20th birthday is tomorrow.

Swiss women training here today.
    Sounds like the radio scanners are reporting her body was found in the drainage below greenleaf hut, just in time for her birthday. So sorry for her family.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

That's rough, her birthday today and Thanksgiving tomorrow. This could be the difference between life or death.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

awful news
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Sounds like the radio scanners are reporting her body was found in the drainage below greenleaf hut, just in time for her birthday. So sorry for her family.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

This could be the difference between life or death.
    Maybe, depending on how much trouble the person is in when they call and what the response time is. But fundamentally, just being aware of the forecast and what the conditions require for basic clothing/gear is what new hikers need to learn. While I carry a PLB, I'd rather see people focus on prevention than getting a tool that they will rely on to get out of trouble.

It is confounding how woefully unprepared it seems that Emily Sotero was. While it may not have saved her, how do you get away with hiking as much a she had and taking a survival course—what ever that is—and not carry a headlamp, especially when you are starting in the dark? The great tragedy of Emily Sotero's death is that, like Geraldine Largay's, it was so easily preventable. It's heart-breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post

That's sad. We drove by there today. As others have mentioned, it doesn't add up. But at least her family has closure...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms