Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcm View Post
    A couple shots from this weekend. New river for us. Central WY sure has some gems.

Had some hacking issues, not related to tgr, so shortened up my user name.

Attachment 430190Attachment 430191Attachment 430192Attachment 430193

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I love that river, thanks for not naming it

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    I love that river, thanks for not naming it
    ^this. That place is getting way to crowded as it is.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Sigh, after I caught that fish on Thursday, I must have driven off with my rod leaning against the car, and didn't notice that it wasn't in the car until the next morning.

I drove straight out to where I'd been parked, but it was gone. There had been four people from Oregon (this was the second night that they'd parked right next to my car) fishing there, and before I put my rod away, I noticed one had a fish on, and that had broken my attention. I was tired it was nearly dark. My Dad had given me that rod four days prior. He went on and on about how great a fly rod it was, and I got to fish it three days before losing it. Fuck. Called fly shops, lost and founds and stuff, but the truth is, that it wasn't out there because someone wanted to keep it.

I drove back into town, not having a reel to go with my other rod, I went and bought an Echo Base, a cheap reel that got good ratings. I had them load it up with line, and decided to go stake out the place I lost it, and see if the folks from Oregon came back late, like they had twice previously that week. It was raining steadily when I got there. I got out the new reel to put it on the rod, fumbled it and dropped it. I went up fishing for a while, and the line was hanging up, on... holy shit the spool broke when I dropped the reel. The warranty specifically does not cover dropping it. The frame of the reel is impact resistant (it says so on the box), but the spool is brittle plastic which shatters when dropped on gravel.

I pulled out my 1200 lumen work light, and was only able to find one shard that broke from the spool. After returning, I talked to the guy who sold it to me, and told him of the fantastically brittle Echo Base spool, and said to him he had been right to try to nudge me away from the terribly breakable Echo Base (he did not, in fact, say it was terribly breakable, but he would have been accurate if he had), and toward the slightly more expensive Pfluger, because it had an aluminum spool, but I was really pissed off at myself for even needing a new reel, and loudly said something like "I don't deserve good things!" to the fishing department guy. He's talked to me often about flies and fishing, as I've supplied my habit, so he wasn't too surprised at my outburst. Well my pathetic story, to which he was a partial witness, earned from him mercy, and he offered me an old Reddington reel of his, that he didn't think he'd use again. Thank God, I needed a win.

So, today I went out to where I lost the rod, and fished. I lost four flies (two got lost just walking to the pool I fished!!), and I got skunked, though I had two strikes. I hooked one which quickly snapped my tippets, and saw a big one rise, only to disdainfully turn his tail at the inadequacy of my offering.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I left a rod on a fence once. So I contacted the local police, they called me a day later and they saw an ad in the paper about a found rod and gave me the number. I called the guy, he had my rod.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Vibes, I can’t imagine keeping a rod I came across a parking lot…

I talked to my Dad today, and he told me about the multiple times he'd driven off with a rod on the roof of the car. He told me to go fishing. I will.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I left a brand new reel on top of car once. Didn’t realize it til I got home. Drove back to the TH but didn’t find it. It was my first time out with it too. It happens.

As a practice I try not to put anything on top of the car anymore. Easier said than done.

Rasputin I’ve enjoyed reading along and hearing about your experience. Keep it coming.

2022 SHITTY FISHING PICTURES AND TALL TALES OF THINGS THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post

As a practice I do not put anything on top of the car anymore.
    FIFY. There is no try. Only do. In this case do not
    skid luxury

I went up Rock Creek today, because hunting season started this past weekend, and there were an insane number of hunters where I usually fish. I showed up a bit late in the afternoon, and it ended up being a sight seeing trip, as I only got one bite, who threw the hook. The seasons are definitely changing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	431143

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	431144

After I took the second pic, I heard a voice from the road, some twenty-something hunters had spotted a bear across the creek from me, around left center of the second pic where the ground levels. The guy I talked to was very eager to let me know I was safe because he had a Glock with him, he asked me if I'd like him to fire off a shot to clear the bear out so I could fish. I told him I'd rather leave the bear alone.

I went up on the road and took some pictures, as the two guys used their imaginations, and decided it was a young grizzly, the girlfriend of the guy with the gun and I, who had walked up the road closer, only saw a big black bear.

Name:	bearback.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	431145

Just realized that I missed a great opportunity for embellishment when it came to the bear story; it's a bit late now, but I will mention that the girlfriend, all geared in camos, was a smokin' hottie like a Swedish uber-blond type, about six foot tall. She had already shot a buck during bow season, and enjoyed the fact her boyfriend hadn't yet, while snickering at his mis-identification of the bear. She was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Just realized that I missed a great opportunity for embellishment when it came to the bear story; it's a bit late now, but I will mention that the girlfriend, all geared in camos, was a smokin' hottie like a Swedish uber-blond type, about six foot tall. She had already shot a buck during bow season, and enjoyed the fact her boyfriend hadn't yet, while snickering at his mis-identification of the bear. She was sweet.
    Sometimes the best parts of fishing don't involve fish. Finding river beers and smoking hot uber-blonds both qualify.

Rasputin, that's funny about the hunters. If you make it closer to the pburg side and see a old tundra with a white retriever say hello. Fishing has been pretty good lately. Unfortunately my phone camera is broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Rasputin, that's funny about the hunters. If you make it closer to the pburg side and see a old tundra with a white retriever say hello. Fishing has been pretty good lately. Unfortunately my phone camera is broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    PBurgh side huh, you a Disco skier? I haven't really gone very far up Rock Creek, it's too hard on my car.

Went to my favorite creek today, and tried the lower part of the creek which I hadn't fished before. It was beautiful down there.

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	431312

However, no matter how awesomely fishy it looked :

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	431313

Or how crushingly gorgeous it looked :

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	431314

I got no bites at all, so I headed back to the rock wall, where I had a brief moment of excitement when a big fish took my dry dropper, and for a moment, long enough to feel its weight, the fish was on, and I was in my happy place, then the fish threw the hook. Skunked again, and the day ended with a back-cast that stole my fly. I bitterly lamented my inability to land a fish, three trips in a row, and questioned my value as a human being that I could not keep a hook in the big one that bit.

Yeah, I know, enjoying nature and stuff:

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	431315
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-26-2022 at 01:11 AM.

Rasputin I’m loving your adventures - the only thing to do is sit down on the bank, open a cold one, look around at your surroundings and toast the one that got away. The older I get and the more fish I have caught the more I seem to just enjoy being…
    Cheesy I know

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I’m not trying to be that guy here, at all, it’s just if I’m fishing I can’t do anything else, and my brain won’t let me.I’m just way too focused.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well, I took yesterday off, and sat around doing crosswords and playing guitar. Today I went forth on a mission, to wash off the stink of getting skunked three times in a row. I went again to the land of lunker cutties, and went straight to the pool ( I call it the fish bowl) which has yielded the biggest trout fish I've caught. I had tied a crystal caddis on my rod the last time out, so I added to it, a Griffith's gnat on a 20" dropper. The gnat got hit on the first cast, but I missed. However, a few minutes later I hooked and landed a 13"er which took the caddis:

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	431485

I tried for another hour or so, even trying to work the pool from the other side:

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	431486

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	431491

While I was over there, another fisherman popped in, to tell me there was a moose very close nearby in the woods. After trying to take pictures looking down into the depths of the pool (they didn't come out well), and failing with my trustee Renegade, I decided to leave the fish bowl to the moose and the other fisherman, and headed for the rock wall.

On my second cast at the rock wall, still throwing my Renegade, I got a strong take, and battled a solid fish that was just bit under 17", with a big giant head!

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	431487

This is where the story gets cool, the sky had cleared by late afternoon, so I was inclined to take a scenery shot, looking up stream from the rock wall, I kept fishing, feeling like another was coming, it seemed only just, that I would catch one for each of the three days in a row (after losing my rod) I'd gone without:

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	431490

Sometimes the symmetry of my life is uncanny, I caught a big fish last Thursday, which was led into losing my rod, buying and breaking a new reel, three days no fish, but I got gifted the reel and talked to Dad, things shifted, and then this Thursday, to sew it up in a bow, completing the cycle, I caught the same 17" fish as last week!!! ( it was on a different fly though, this time was a burnt wing PMD) I compared pictures, and the spots near the scar on his side, and the shape of the scar are exact. Holy crap, what a trip and an awesome day!

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	431492
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-28-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Great work, Rasputin. Keep it comin.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Yeah buddy! That's rad.

Glad to see it coming together for you.
    Montani Semper Liberi

It has been very rewarding to pick up fly fishing again, but this is different than when I was young, I'm much more intentional, and patient now. Also, I never caught any trout over 12" before. I stumbled onto a gem of a place where there are big cutthroats to be caught, and it is really addictive, knowing if you hook one it will be good sized fish, knowing that there are even bigger ones in there than I've caught.

The second time I caught "Scar", he gave me an unreal fight, in which I had him all but in the net, when my cold and clumsy hands dropped my line, and he was free lining 'til I got a hold of it again, but the hook held, I worked him back in, and then I had a comical chase with the net attempting to get it under him, while my eight foot rod and ten foot leader worked against me. It wasn't pretty (it would have gone viral if on video), but very exciting. Add to that, the leader was 5x tied onto the stump of a tapered leader with a blood knot, I was worried the knot or tippets would fail. Apparently, I have learned to tie a decent blood knot.

A few salty fish…

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	431719

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	431720

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	431721
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Lake Leo

Name:	20221029_120717.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	431730

nice little bows

Name:	20221029_134756.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	431731

Name:	20221029_145739.jpg 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	431732
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

The high country snow has got me thinking about skiing quite a bit, but man these fall fishing days have been soo nice! Late starts….nymph rigs for the morning, techy dry fly fishing in the afternoon, throwing streamers till last light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpcm; 10-30-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Holy crap jpcm! Strong work! Those are some heavy looking fish.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    A few salty fish…

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	431719

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	431720

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	431721
    One more salty…

Name:	IMG_4659.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	431803
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

First day back fishing after surgery/hospitalization and I got my best brown yet on a hopper. Pretty stoked.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk