Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: shroom picking

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Good picking today at the beginning of the season. More to come!
    Nice. Morchella Brunnea? I can't see any soot so I am assuming those are naturals. What is your general region and elevation? Its been so damn cold in Wydaho that the cottonwoods at 5000ft still don't even have leaves. People been asking me when its going to start, all I can say is " I don't know, probably a while after it stops snowing every other fucking day."

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Nice. Morchella Brunnea? I can't see any soot so I am assuming those are naturals. What is your general region and elevation? Its been so damn cold in Wydaho that the cottonwoods at 5000ft still don't even have leaves. People been asking me when its going to start, all I can say is " I don't know, probably a while after it stops snowing every other fucking day."
    I'm not too up to date on my morchella species but these are at about 2000 feet in an area that burned in eastern Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'm not too up to date on my morchella species but these are at about 2000 feet in an area that burned in eastern Washington.
    Yeah, I was really curious because the dark ones in the middle definitely look like burn morels. There are four burn morels. They are not related to naturals; they are true pyrophile species that only reproduce in conjunction with fire. Black burn morels are sextelata/septimelata clade unless they are thick walled and have a chambered stipe, those are morchella exhuberans.

Name:  morchella_capitata_04_thumb.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  47.3 KB

When the blacks are about done, then the gray morchella tomentosa (aka fuzzyfoots, blackfoots) starts to pop in warm spots and are around for a couple weeks. They come up from deep and big sclerotia and are capable of fruiting in surprisingly dry conditions so don't quit on a burn just because the blacks are dried up. Grays aren't abundant as blacks but they are dense and weigh twice as much so that usually evens out. Sometimes you'll find grays out in really hot shadeless areas but there's so much water pumping up into them that they are cool to the touch.

Name:  morchella_tomentosa_02_thumb.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  32.1 KB

In addition to burn morels, your area probably has Brunnea (little black), Snyderi (fathead), Americana (western yellow), Populiphilia ( western half-free) and Tridentina (mountain blonde).

full buckets
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-10-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Hey Neck, I had 2 morels pop up in my lawn. Thinking prolly little blacks because there wasn't a fire on my property in likely 50yrs (long before it was lawn). How can I help them procreate and give me buckets of tasty morels every year. Or should I just eat em?

Some background:
    - I've never before seen morels up here, though I don't pick in burn areas (and things don't generally light up in the temperate rainforest).
    - we're at about 300' above sea level
    - in my forested area (4.5 of my 5 acres) there's chanterelles, lobsters and boletes
    Thanks for all your posts man!

Eats them!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

no no no Gary

send them to me for proper identification and disposal

who knows they could be dangerous, don't wanna take any risks

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    no no no Gary

send them to me for proper identification and disposal

who knows they could be dangerous, don't wanna take any risks

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Coming from you that is heady.

Gary, if your lawn morels are growing in association with some recently introduced mulch, wood chips or topsoil, then they are "landscape" morels, probably ruffobrunnea. Landscape morels are pure saprophyte which means they don't have a mycorrhizal symbiote and get all their energy from decaying stuff. As they lack a host plant, they can be easily transplanted. They pop once or twice and that's it. The companies that are pioneering cultivated morels are working with the landscape species.

If they are out back under some doug firs, then I'd guess they are snyderi. A picture would help. As far as encouraging them, in a dry year you can water the zone when the soil hits 45 and again when it hits 55. It works, but its barely worth your time. I used to rent a cabin in ideal brunnea habitat and I'd water the aspen thicket behind house. Mostly just to see if it would work.

You can't really help them procreate. They do their thing, mostly where you can't see it. If you've got a mycelium present, then you have the thing. The mycelium is the orchard. It can spread without spores. Spores are for bridging the gap to new habitats when the mycelium hits a boundary.

Capiche?

I only know the funny schrooms and I haven't lived at a low enough altitude to ever forage morels, but can you take a print and cultivate them like any other? I'd be down for a lifetime supply if it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I only know the funny schrooms and I haven't lived at a low enough altitude to ever forage morels, but can you take a print and cultivate them like any other? I'd be down for a lifetime supply if it's possible.
    I pick natural morels as high as 8000ft and burn morels even higher so you must live pretty darn high.

Unfortunately, no one has had any significant success cultivating mycorrhizal shrooms. If they could, truffles wouldn't cost their weight in gold. The commercially produced mushrooms are saprophytes, no tree hosts necessary. You can buy kits to grow your own wood rotters at home.

But, here's the thing. IMHO, saprophytes are low turd on the totem pole of mushroom flavor. The exchange of nutrients going on between mycorrhizal mushrooms and their host tree produces a fruit that just tastes better. A lot better. The mountain blonde morel (tridentina) is primarily a saprophyte or possibly its exclusively a saprophyte. In really wet years, its very abundant. I won't bend down to pick one. They taste like decay, more like mildew than a proper morel.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I pick natural morels as high as 8000ft and burn morels even higher so you must live pretty darn high.

Unfortunately, no one has had any significant success cultivating mycorrhizal shrooms. If they could, truffles wouldn't cost their weight in gold. The commercially produced mushrooms are saprophytes, no tree hosts necessary. You can buy kits to grow your own wood rotters at home.

But, here's the thing. IMHO, saprophytes are low turd on the totem pole of mushroom flavor. The exchange of nutrients going on between mycorrhizal mushrooms and their host tree produces a fruit that just tastes better. A lot better. The mountain blonde morel (tridentina) is primarily a saprophyte or possibly its exclusively a saprophyte. In really wet years, its very abundant. I won't bend down to pick one. They taste like decay, more like mildew than a proper morel.
    Thank you for your expertise. I have been successful with other types, and I love the taste and mouthfeel of a morel, but, I must resign myself to my geographic condition. Bummer on that front.

Some great info in this thread. Thanks. Headed to the shores of Lake Huron next week with hopes of morel picking. Last year was on the dry side and the pickings were a bit slim. Rain this weekend gives us hope. A buddy of mine got us hooked years ago and now we plan a trip around the foraging every year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0734.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	415994

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	416017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000004.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	481.1 KB 
ID:	416018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000003.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	671.7 KB 
ID:	416019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000002.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	416020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	416021

This thread rocks; wish I knew more. A bunch of these came up in raised beds in my garden this spring...can anyone help identify them?

Name:	shroom1s.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	416022

Name:	shroom2s.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	416023

Name:	shroom3s.jpg