Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Hell, even the current TR29 version would be great - it's still a lot of bike. If I were living/riding out west again, I'd swap my 2020 model for the current version for sure.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I’ll jump in…. Think I want a yeti 130, tried to buy one this week and it was sold before I got to it, if anyone wants to sell one let me know.

If not the 130, what is similar? Hightower? I like a big boy fork, decent rear travel, great climbing, capable on the way down. I’m less interested in shuttling I think and trying to get into more long days of a lot of climbing but fun downhills.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Smash? Propain Hugene?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Smash? Propain Hugene?
    Can I just say “ propain” is a terrible brand name… unless you are selling Propane and propane accessories I tell you what.

Good call tho, I’ll look

Maybe it sounds cooler in German. I haven't ridden one, but the bikes are sexy and well-equipped for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Maybe it sounds cooler in German. I haven't ridden one, but the bikes are sexy and well-equipped for the price.
    They so seem to be decently equipped for sure. It’s actually kind of cool you can pick decal colours from the factory, nice touch.

I've had a new Tyee for about 6 weeks now, but because of the winter weather here in CO I've only been able to ride it a handful of times. Now that I've got the suspension dialed, I really like it and the frame quality is up there with most other manufacturers I've worked with (Revel, Ibis, etc). My super short review is that the Tyee feels like a long travel trail bike, something I wouldn't be afraid of taking on a 25 mile ride, but also something that can handle just about anything out there, outside of park days. Mine is built up to 31 lbs with pedals, with RS Ultimate suspension F/R, X01 and I-9 Enduro wheels. You can't beat their build prices right now, either.

I'm supposed to get a Hugene frame to build up soon, but I think they're dealing with shipping delays like everyone else so it might be a while. I'm excited to see what the Hugene is all about, since I think it'll be a perfect trail bike for the high country and longer local rides (I plan on building it up fairly light as a 140/140 setup).

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've had a new Tyee for about 6 weeks now, but because of the winter weather here in CO I've only been able to ride it a handful of times. Now that I've got the suspension dialed, I really like it and the frame quality is up there with most other manufacturers I've worked with (Revel, Ibis, etc). My super short review is that the Tyee feels like a long travel trail bike, something I wouldn't be afraid of taking on a 25 mile ride, but also something that can handle just about anything out there, outside of park days. Mine is built up to 31 lbs with pedals, with RS Ultimate suspension F/R, X01 and I-9 Enduro wheels. You can't beat their build prices right now, either.

I'm supposed to get a Hugene frame to build up soon, but I think they're dealing with shipping delays like everyone else so it might be a while. I'm excited to see what the Hugene is all about, since I think it'll be a perfect trail bike for the high country and longer local rides (I plan on building it up fairly light as a 140/140 setup).
    That’s interesting to hear. It’s fairly “ big” in terms of travel, same as my Slayer. I assume carbon and not the AL version?

I bet you can get that Hugene at a fairly light weight.

I have a Hugene on order too. Never ridden one, but it seems like it'll hit the mark for what I'm after (trail bike with just enough nuts on it to get after it a bit). Last eta I heard was April-ish, but the guys on the phone implied it might be earlier.

Yep, full carbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyee-1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	402475
    Pretty nice looking bike!

Anyone been on the new Tallboy?? Worried it’s too XC and will lack a lot going down hill. A little to uphill focused.

I rode it in Brevard last summer... from three days on some pretty technical trails in Pisgah, I actually thought the opposite. It was plenty capable on the DHs, and leaned way more towards a trail bike than XC. It doesn't pedal nearly as well as competitors like the Ripley or the Revel Ranger. Somewhere on here, there was a discussion about beefing one up to make it 140f/130r, I believe...

What about a GG Trail Pistol, long-shocked as a Pistola. Run a 140 or 150mm fork up front, and you can ride just about anything. It's a little heavier than the competition (I've done plenty of big rides on mine and never noticed the weight), but it's also way more capable on the rough stuff. And those frames are absolutely bombproof.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This is clearly a question without a "correct" answer, but: deciding btwn Fezzari Shafer and Canyon Grizl. Waiting to see if Grizl will be offered in Rival XPLR AXS for '22. The other nod for the Fezzari is a Zipp upgrade (303's). Pricewise they're pretty comparable (and no LBS brand is even close). Grizl is a bit "lower/longer," as a road guy, I don't think that will bug me too much. n:
    I was seriously considering those and a few others until just recently. The Shafer's very slack (for a gravel bike) HTA was a concern, but maybe it would have been fine. The Grizl has more normal geometry. Both are on the progressive side of gravel. I almost bought the top end Grizl when they sent me an in-stock email a few weeks ago (I'm not interested in Sram or 1x, so the 2x Di2 GRX was appealing), but it was out of stock already.

I'm glad that happened though, because I ended up with a Carbonda 707 and couldn't be happier. It has what I was looking for in terms of geometry, mounts, and 50mm tire clearance, and was well under $800 for the frameset, delivered in about 10 days from China. It even came in under weight at 1205g for the frame. I had a Di2 Ultegra group for it. If you have or are willing to source parts and wheels, it's a good option to consider.

2nd ride on the 707 aka Wraith was today (67mi, 10,500', about 60% dirt) and I loved everything about it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I rode it in Brevard last summer... from three days on some pretty technical trails in Pisgah, I actually thought the opposite. It was plenty capable on the DHs, and leaned way more towards a trail bike than XC. It doesn't pedal nearly as well as competitors like the Ripley or the Revel Ranger. Somewhere on here, there was a discussion about beefing one up to make it 140f/130r, I believe...

What about a GG Trail Pistol, long-shocked as a Pistola. Run a 140 or 150mm fork up front, and you can ride just about anything. It's a little heavier than the competition (I've done plenty of big rides on mine and never noticed the weight), but it's also way more capable on the rough stuff. And those frames are absolutely bombproof.
    Awesome Info. Now that you mention it I remember that conversation with using a cascade link.

I’ve found myself in paralysis by analysis I think. We are a good 3 months from riding, I can’t find any of these bikes to even throw a leg over so I just cruise the for sale ads, see something and dive into it. I know if I want till spring it will be even tougher finding a bike as well. Good thing is we are at a want and not need stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Anyone been on the new Tallboy?? Worried it’s too XC and will lack a lot going down hill. A little to uphill focused.
    I got a new TB4 a few months ago. I put a Pike Ultimate @ 140 on it, then swapped most parts over from a 2018 Hightower.

Definitely not undergunned on the downhills. I don’t ride in the park much, but I do love chunky trails. There doesn’t seem to any decrease in DH capability from my Hightower. The bike rips. And ymmv, but I’m super comfortable on it, which is a change. (I’m 6’1” with longish limbs and I’m on an XL).

I can’t recommend it enough, it’s my favorite bike I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I’ll jump in…. Think I want a yeti 130, tried to buy one this week and it was sold before I got to it, if anyone wants to sell one let me know.

If not the 130, what is similar? Hightower? I like a big boy fork, decent rear travel, great climbing, capable on the way down. I’m less interested in shuttling I think and trying to get into more long days of a lot of climbing but fun downhills.

I've got an XL 2020 SB130 T1 (Shimano XT) build that I'll be selling in the coming months. Hit me up if you're interested and I can list the specs. Otherwise, I'll post it up here when I'm ready to sell.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I’ll chime in with my typical suggestion of a Norco Optic. 140/125mm travel, beefy fork (Fox 36), piggyback shock (DPX2), modern geo (65 deg. head tube), carbon main triangle, aluminum linkage. Mine weighed in at 31.5 new. Price is lower than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I got a new TB4 a few months ago. I put a Pike Ultimate @ 140 on it, then swapped most parts over from a 2018 Hightower.

Definitely not undergunned on the downhills. I don’t ride in the park much, but I do love chunky trails. There doesn’t seem to any decrease in DH capability from my Hightower. The bike rips. And ymmv, but I’m super comfortable on it, which is a change. (I’m 6’1” with longish limbs and I’m on an XL).

I can’t recommend it enough, it’s my favorite bike I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    That’s good to hear. I never park, think I’m going to be limiting my shuttle days as well as I’ve found just heading out on the bike a lot more fun as opposed to fucking around with trucks, dropping vehs…. Eats up half my bike days.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I've got an XL SB130 T1 (Shimano XT) build that I'll be selling in the coming months. Hit me up if you're interested and I can list the specs. Otherwise, I'll post it up here when I'm ready to sell.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer but think I’m pretty sure I’m a solid large in yeti and most brands.

Thanks for the offer but think I’m pretty sure I’m a solid large in yeti and most brands.

I’ve got a LG Revel Rascal at the shop that’s been ridden a few times but is basically new. It’s got a 140 Pike.
    PM for details/pricing.

I'll just jump in here. What quasi-budget trail bike? I haven't been biking much the last couple of years but I wanna change that. I mean I do have trails 5 minutes from by house. I would like to keep in under $4K. New or used. I'd definitely, would entertain one of you guysz kick outs. I'm 6'0 175lbs.

What bike do I want?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'll just jump in here. What quasi-budget trail bike? I haven't been biking much the last couple of years but I wanna change that. I mean I do have trails 5 minutes from by house. I would like to keep in under $4K. New or used. I'd definitely, would entertain one of you guysz kick outs. I'm 6'0 175lbs.
    I know some people here like to dog pile on specialized, so the only reason I’ll throw this out is my GF is in the same boat and I think she’s finally settled on the Stumpy Alloy Comp unless she finds something nicer that’s used for around the same price. We found that bike around here for $3500 and honestly I think it’d be more than enough for most people starting out or rekindling the flame.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I know some people here like to dog pile on specialized, so the only reason I’ll throw this out is my GF is in the same boat and I think she’s finally settled on the Stumpy Alloy Comp unless she finds something nicer that’s used for around the same price. We found that bike around here for $3500 and honestly I think it’d be more than enough for most people starting out or rekindling the flame.
    X2 on this. Specialized has some great deals in that price range.

Where are you located? I’ll have a large Transition Smuggler Carbon for sale soon (should be built up by next week). Very low miles, excellent condition, with a lot of new parts. You’re welcome to check it out if you’re in northern utah.