Page 48 of 112 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2790
    Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post

Only the high stepper in today. It's so much more work, but damn boundary looks great without that low traverse in. Not sure how you prevent the low T unless you roped boundary shoulder and put a gate up by guild gate, and that seems like a lot of extra work for patrol (maybe not, idk). I'm with you though - Crystal and No Mans would stay minty and Solitude skiers would be extra fit.
    Heck I want the opposite. Get rid of the high T (it really exists only for the cliff base mitigation route) and have more vert for skiers off the ridge!

All mid-slope traverses suck. They're rude and uncivilized. Putting one in should get your pass pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    Heck I want the opposite. Get rid of the high T (it really exists only for the cliff base mitigation route) and have more vert for skiers off the ridge!
    If you're talking high T right from summit, yes, please rope that shit. So silly, people step forever for 6 turns and we hit that thing maching out of the early chutes way too quickly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	666.0 KB 
ID:	400630

Seems right to leave this here.

All the new snow and spectacular skiing, and back to whining already? It's always good skiing for good skiers. Play on.

Name:	cecretlake7327.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	713.0 KB 
ID:	400649

no diving

Fun weekend, even rode the bus on Saturday in LCC.

Skied DV and RV on Sunday. Conditions were all time in round valley and we skied on lifts all morning at the valley of deer.

Also, shout out to dibs as always for being a stand up mag. Always appreciate ya! Let's make the beav happen

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

Name:	cecretlake7327.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	713.0 KB 
ID:	400649

no diving
    Oh that's where they store moguls... Cool shot

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Name:	AC9D068F-B0F1-46B0-905D-72E0925C0553.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	400654
    Powder Cats delivered. It didn’t suck!

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    Part of me agrees w/ you. The other part sez more gapers going up Fantasy is not a good thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    If you're talking high T right from summit, yes, please rope that shit. So silly, people step forever for 6 turns and we hit that thing maching out of the early chutes way too quickly.
    Yep, that high stepper is stupid. Straightest shot to C-rock is best. Lower t to Crystal starts there and cuts right through the middle of the whole damn face. Funny thing is, this traverse was never there until the lower gate was closed yrs ago @ the top of Woodlawn/Warren Miller.
    So it made the lower 5-10 turns on Crystal better, but put a traverse across the whole boundary face

The bump in Woodlawn in the turn after Honeycomb Return almost ended my day yesterday when I hit it at speed.
    Hope that gets groomed out before someone gets destroyed.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

just rubbernecking at this point but what was up with the west slabs rescue? anyone know or talk to them?

Quote Originally Posted by GSinister View Post

Name:	AC9D068F-B0F1-46B0-905D-72E0925C0553.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	400654
    Powder Cats delivered. It didn’t suck!
    Much steeper than most cat terrain!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Much steeper than most cat terrain!
    does the cat toe-in to the ridge and you jump out while the tracks are spinning? trying to figure out how that works.
    bumps are for poor people

Regarding the West Slabs:

Quite young pair, 15 and 17. 15yo claimed to be experienced. I was wondering how experienced they could be. Was actually only their 2nd time in the backcountry. No avy course, but 15yo had done reading and watched videos. 17yo is less experienced than 15yo.

Only intended to ski the approach couloir. Though supposedly they told their parents they were going somewhere else; a classic simple luge (my words) in Millcreek. They weren't far from the base of the slabs, skiing down, when one had trouble with their frame binding. They thought the binding was broken, or wasn't working. Had dropped their ski poles accidentally; poles were only a little further down from where they waited. 15yo says he was fine to ski down, but didn't want to leave the 17yo alone. Had boot crampons and I think axes. Didn't get their take on why they didn't walk down, but obviously not comfortable enough to do so. 15yo had touring boots, 17yo had regular downhill boots.

Snow anchors and boot-axe belays for them to walk down. Some suggestions were given as far as getting more education, think about the terrain above you, think about all the wet slide debris that you walked on in the couloir, digging a pit because you see wet slide debris isn't the right application... And back at the cars, one of our teammates showed them how to lock the frame bindings, showing a tip to get them locked if they're getting hung up. (I'm a splitboarder focusing on bc skiing on tech bindings, so I've never used frame bindings...in case my descriptions sounds off). All equipment was in working order.

Enjoyed pastries bought by the family back at the staging area.

Yeah, that’s why I don’t post much. Lack of technological chops…..

We also got first tracks under the Super Condor lift at the Canyons this morning. It hasn’t been running since I got here 5 days ago. Life is good! No bad pictures though.

PC patrol has voted to authorize a strike: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/...ty-ski-patrol/

I predict if the patrollers walk out Vail will hire just enough scabs to be able to run a couple lifts thereby saying the resort is open and they won't need to issue refunds to everyone.

Will be interesting to see how their meeting shook out last night/tonight, I can't remember when it is.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I believe it’s today

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Will be interesting to see how their meeting shook out last night/tonight, I can't remember when it is.
    I know they are supposedly meeting again this afternoon.

Love that January low sun, surface snow is still soft out there

Name:  PXL_20220112_150422928_2.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  190.8 KB

this whole strike thing is making me wonder what the Aspen Extreme chase would have been like if the patrollers were scabs.

Any chance anyone has or knows of an Alta walkable couch/anything for a geezer like me for a couple nights starting feb 1? Got a flight, rest of the plans evaporated. Miss that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Just another day of UN-suckage Can I get a witness TFW??!!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"