Page 740 of 929 FirstFirst ... 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 ... LastLast
Results 18,476 to 18,500 of 23206
    Bring it on, Omicron, we ain’t skeered

https://www.livescience.com/breakthr...immunity-boost
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

SO what has happened to the delta variant, where did it go is the question in my mind ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I can't seem to find any data on the number of cases/hospitalizations/deaths for Omicron in vaccinated vs unvaccinated, other than the day it first hit and it was like 40 people and 75% of the positives were vaccinated. Surely by now there are tens of thousands of cases.

Delta variant is still here, it is just about to get outcompeted by Omicron and no longer be the dominant strain going around. Here's some good graphs, you can see how it is now the dominant strain in South Africa, but Delta is still there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oomi.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	397203

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...-update-dec-17

Strains hang around as long as they can find enough hosts. The original variant probably is still out there somewhere for a tiny fraction of a percent of new cases or so.
    Last edited by Garbowski; 12-17-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Hospitalizations in omicron. "Wait a couple weeks." Trouble is it's early, and with a rapid case rise, it's tough to figure it out from the graphs. Somebody needs to carefully trace a cohort of infected people to see the outcomes. I notice quite a few experts are walking away from the early optimism. The phrasing is more along the lines of we don't have any data to support it's less virulent than delta. The limited available data is from South Africa (example), a young population where most recovered from an earlier Covid infection. My sources for this are TWiV and UCSF.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Fuck me, skiing all of a sudden is in doubt, again.
    seems to me as long as the internet still works
    youre blessed heart will be fine
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Who can read that and not smile at the thought of some future cameo on Curb Your Enthusiasm?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Who can read that and not smile at the thought of some future cameo on Curb Your Enthusiasm?
    She dumped Ted Danson for Kennedy?

Yeah, and Larry can ask him about that heroin possession conviction way back.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    She dumped Ted Danson for Kennedy?
    Huge fucking Xmas family parties, if that's her thing.

i think this thread needs some music

RFK Jr is a ginormous POS.

If you rearrange the letters of “delta + omicron” you get “media control”

Or you can get “erotic almond”

Do what you want with this information

It will be really interesting to see how Omicron impacts the health outcomes of the vaxxed and unvaxxed. It’s obviously spreading through both groups fairly easily just based on the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

a Buddy of mine went to school with that Kennedy sez he had a connection to THE purest mescaline

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a Buddy of mine went to school with that Kennedy sez he had a connection to THE purest mescaline
    Yeah, I'm old enough to remember them as kids and teenagers. Super druggies. As you said, Kennedy quality stuff, too. Except for the Heroin. They had to scrounge around in the ghetto for it, just like us schmucks.

Got boosted yesterday, Moderna after initial shots were Pfizer. Pretty sore arm overnight and today so far, but not as bad as Pfizer #1. Other than that so far so good.

Getting in to get this was a bit of a shit show. Appointments all seemed to be weeks out, but some locations were listed as accepting walk ins. What they didn't say is that they would try to squeeze walk ins in between those with appointments. Made for long waits and they kept announcing you're not guaranteed to even get a shot if all the appointments show up. They want people to get shots/boosters but still not making it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Got boosted yesterday, Moderna after initial shots were Pfizer. Pretty sore arm overnight and today so far, but not as bad as Pfizer #1. Other than that so far so good.

I had that same ^^ sequence of shots and experienced just a sore arm the day after same as you report

the BC HC system is running it up here, the booking and getting in was quick n easy

Including the remaining 7,597 reinfections in the case overview pushes today's case figure to 10,454 — 7,597 are the reinfections being added and 2,857 are new cases. As the pandemic stretches past 20 months, some people have become infected with COVID-19 more than once. This is called a reinfection.

226,972 laboratory-confirmed breakthrough cases of COVID-19 among fully-vaccinated people in New York State, which corresponds to 1.8% of the population of fully-vaccinated people 12-years

There was been 10,454 reinfections in the US of covid.
    There has been 226,972 breakthrough cases of covid in ny state alone.

Not recognizing Natural immunity is strange in the mandate. Saying the vaccine offers better protection then natural immunity even stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had that same ^^ sequence of shots and experienced just a sore arm the day after same as you report

the BC HC system is running it up here, the booking and getting in was quick n easy
    Send some of their exports over to Ontario please.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    altasnob's Math and assumptions look fine to me. A few months ago I was going to post something similar, along with an estimate of how long till we reach herd immunity, I also found a CDC report that used the 4x number. A National Academy of Sciences report used 2x. Both said these multipliers are uncertain, as altasnob noted. The reasoning about how many of the natural cases to assign to the vaxxed / unvaxxed is also fine and has uncertainties. So the 72 million guess is fine. My guess is 4x is too high, so the Covid naive population is larger.

If 72 million is correct, we could guess that about 80% of us have some level of immunity. We could correct this using estimates of actual immunity for the various combinations of vaxxed and infected (e.g. if vax or infection tend to provide 70% protection, then the estimated immunity becomes 70% of 80% equals 56%). Once we've calculated a current estimated population immunity, we can compare that to herd immunity estimates to see how close we are. The current vax and infection rates can then project when we reach herd immunity (or if it is possible with current countermeasures). Keeping in mind that we need to exceed the herd immunity threshold for cases to decline. Also keeping in mind that a heterogeneous population may spread disease better then the homogeneous population assumed in the herd immunity theory.

My understanding is I'm supposed to call altasnob a silly name. Sorry can't think of one. Related, there's this notion that we must condemn anyone with a different pandemic POV. Humans die on strange emotional hills. Some day the pandemic will pass, and many of these people can be forgiven then and are otherwise fine friends. For now, the unreasonable ones ought to stay away
    There's no herd immunity. Look at omicron, lots of vaccinated or people that previously had it, get sick.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Most currently deployed monoclonal antibodies are useless against Omicron.

Boosters bring Pfizer up to ~75% effectiveness at protecting against infection from Omicron vs <40% for 6+ mo after 2nd dose. Unboosted Moderna may be less effective than Pfizer. People who had breakthrough infections or vaccination after infection may be extremely immune.

If you had COVID, the reinfection risk is drastically increased by Omicron with your protection probably reduced 3-6X.Over half of all documented COVID reinfection in the entire 2 year pandemic in South Africa occurred in the last few weeks.

It looks like Omicron is no less virulent than previous variants.

Fuck Omicron.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    Not recognizing Natural immunity is strange in the mandate. Saying the vaccine offers better protection then natural immunity even stranger.
    No it isn't. We've been over that topic in this very thread.

Was gonna start separate thread, but I’ll just put this here. We are scheduled to fly to NYC on Xmas day, spend five days in Manhattan, then fly back NYE. The Mrs. and I both vaxxed and boostered, Things One and Two have 2x Pfizer on board. I’m hearing rumbles on the Interwebs that Omichron is starting to really ramp up in the NE, can any NY area Mags confirm? I read SNL may cancel their season finale due to COVID, and some Broadway shows may start going dark (again). We have trip insurance, 100% refundable up to 72 hours in advance….. I really don’t want to cancel, but I also don’t want to endanger my family or get fucking stranded in NY. What says the collective? Any NYC maggots there on the ground? Thanks in advance, and HOLY FUCK I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT. /blog
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier