Page 134 of 199 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Why can’t we get cheaper, no frills work trucks in the US? At least some of the manufacturers are making them (maybe not to US emissions or safety standards). Is the market too small for the size of the country?

FB just pointed me to a new 2021 land cruiser lc79 in Dubai. $30,000. 2 seater truck. LHD. 4wd. 3 pedals. 4.0 v6 gasser. Ac, stereo, auto locks, manual windows.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Why can’t we get cheaper, no frills work trucks in the US? At least some of the manufacturers are making them (maybe not to US emissions or safety standards). Is the market too small for the size of the country?

FB just pointed me to a new 2021 land cruiser lc79 in Dubai. $30,000. 2 seater truck. LHD. 4wd. 3 pedals. 4.0 v6 gasser. Ac, stereo, auto locks, manual windows.

It's all about maximizing revenue extraction. They sell cheaper trucks in places where if they weren't cheap they wouldn't sell any, but no reason to kill the golden goose in US/CA.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    It's all about maximizing revenue extraction. They sell cheaper trucks in places where if they weren't cheap they wouldn't sell any, but no reason to kill the golden goose in US/CA.
    Maybe

The same seller is also selling a new 300-series LC out of Dubai for $120,000 (usd).

(the pickup would look great with a machine gun mounted in the bed)
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-21-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Something like this?

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/single-...turn-for-2022/

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Also, thanks to a friend at a dealership, I got it at cost-plus and ended up getting a crazy amount for the 6.7. Net was $5k....no brainer, though it took 5 months.
    You'd be stupid not to take that deal. Congrats!

Ranger redesign gets unveiled on the 24th. Colorado/Canyon coming for next year as well.

Doug Demuro just did a review of a 2021 Landcruiser that’s sold abroad - 4wd, cloth seats, no screens, lock dif, turbo V6, manual seats - about as base model as a Landcruiser can be. It would be about $50k in USD. I’d be first in line if it ever came here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Doug Demuro just did a review of a 2021 Landcruiser that’s sold abroad - 4wd, cloth seats, no screens, lock dif, turbo V6, manual seats - about as base model as a Landcruiser can be. It would be about $50k in USD. I’d be first in line if it ever came here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And that’s only a 300-series. (Supposedly, there will be a 300-series in the us at some point, sold under lexus). If I’m not mistaken, there are still various trim lines of being sold as LHD of the 4 models of the 70-series land cruisers. I do not understand their strategy.

Chicken Tax is the issue... that $50,000.00 gets another 25% import tax putting in the realm of a luxury SUV. This has been the dilemma of the Land Cruiser since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Chicken Tax is the issue... that $50,000.00 gets another 25% import tax putting in the realm of a luxury SUV. This has been the dilemma of the Land Cruiser since the 80s.
    No chicken tax if built in US.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    No chicken tax if built in US.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Land Cruisers have never been built in the USA.

with a 25% tax, that barebones 2 seat land cruiser pickup would be under $37k.

with a 25% tax, that barebones 2 seat land cruiser pickup would be under $37k.
    And what would that do to the Tacoma tax?

Toyota has no incentive to shoot themselves in the foot.

That chicken tax is the dumbest shit. The selection of light trucks around the world would be so different if that wasn't a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    That chicken tax is the dumbest shit. The selection of light trucks around the world would be so different if that wasn't a thing.
    I don't know.... they managed to bring the euro Ranger over here and that most of the press on that says it's a steaming POS.

I fell in love when I went 4 wheeling in a Hilux in NZ. The thing was a manual, stripped down, double cab, long bed, similar to a 1st gen Taco, but even less bells and whistles. Paint was a matte brown/yellow. The thing drove like a tractor and it was awesome, especially for the South Island.

We got it stuck, like mud up to the windows, stuck, middle of nowhere, by ourselves. We had shovels, and were about to start digging. Thankfully, some goat hunters showed up, fresh off the kill, in their Hiluxes (it took two of them), and yanked us out with a chain, gave us some beers, and showed us the goats they were hauling out of the back country, nicest blokes I'd ever met. I've been dreaming of that truck since that day.

The thing in the US is this. The bells and whistles make the monies, the margin on bells and whistles is probably better than the actual truck. Nobody buys the stock, stripped down, $30k Taco. They (myself included) buy the one with all the trimmings for $40k+. There's no incentive for Toyota to make what we all say would be our dream truck.

I mean to be fair...the US Taco + Tundra are really simple. Even the 4runner. Up until recently...same powertrain/features for like 10+ years now. Problem is...is the price on them compared to overseas which I agree with everyone. My 2012 Tundra with 200k is stupid simple to work on(minus the starter), and reliable as heck. Yes, I wish we had the turbo diesels over here in the mid-size/1/2 ton capacity but just not happening. My 2012 4runner I had was the same way...easy to work on, very simple, same 4.0 drivetrain as it has for years. I have had a lot of diesel 3/4 tons in my career(from all big 3 actually), and still find myself coming back to Toyota for my purposes. Again, price for them is ridiculous of how basic they are(40k+, just for a new basic model essentially etc.) US Market is not ideal for work/play models because everybody in the US wants a platinum truck so they can feel all 'Murican with their heated and cooled rear seats. Such is life.

I always looked at it that I was paying for reliability. You don't build trucks as reliable as Toyota without putting in the time, effort, and expense to design and build things properly. Does it have the bells and whistles? No, but those ball coolers always break on American iron because they spend 1/4 the time developing them.
    Live Free or Die

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Going back to a post from a while ago......I fixed my headlights on my Tundra. The $10 restoration kit at Home Depot actually works.

So, onto the windshield: My truck is a 2012 and has the OEM windshield (I'm second owner) and it must have that special coating because despite being hit by several huge rocks it won't actually crack. Problem is that it's so pitted from driving sanded mountain roads that I can barely see out of it at night or in direct sunlight.

Think Geico will cover it under my comprehensive insurance? Deductible will be a lot cheaper than buying a windshield outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Going back to a post from a while ago......I fixed my headlights on my Tundra. The $10 restoration kit at Home Depot actually works.

So, onto the windshield: My truck is a 2012 and has the OEM windshield (I'm second owner) and it must have that special coating because despite being hit by several huge rocks it won't actually crack. Problem is that it's so pitted from driving sanded mountain roads that I can barely see out of it at night or in direct sunlight.

Think Geico will cover it under my comprehensive insurance? Deductible will be a lot cheaper than buying a windshield outright.
    Borrow a bb gun and crack it? Maybe put a piece of plywood behind where you are going to shoot so that you don't need to make a claim for a new rear window too.

I've claimed windshields without cracks before. Just tell them your windshield is fucked and schedule an appointment. They don't need proof.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So it's actually only $370 for my windshield. I guess my truck is old enough that it's a pretty basic piece of glass.

You or your glass installer need to tell a fib to the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So it's actually only $370 for my windshield. I guess my truck is old enough that it's a pretty basic piece of glass.

I'd make an effort to get it in a shop vs mobile repair.

I bought baseline trucks

In 2010 Ford had speced a bunch of Rangers at $6600 off cuz they were pulling the plug on the production line so with rubber floor mats, manual windows shitty radio but still a 4.0 liter 5spd 4x4 V6 with air and not much else was still only 19K while the full load Ranger was more like 26K

In 2019 the cheapest Tacoma on the lot still had heated seats/ air/ power windows but even the stripped Tacoma was not very stripped for 42K and full load was 60ish

I think it might be hard to get a stripped PU unless it can be pecifically order stripped, and to do so you might have to be a really big customer ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know