Page 101 of 137 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 3407
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The big studios got tired of giving Netflix and others a cut. Now they'll have their own streaming sites. More like how many streaming sites can the internet support?

Paramount buying CBS is just the start. Think of Lionsgate's content catalog.
    Color me wrong, but I thought the Disney/Fox merger was the start...

And lest we forget, Amazon just snatched up MGM...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I dunno, this film looks like it shoulda dropped years ago (i.e in either the 80s or 90s), which is a shame since Jean-Claude's best films of the past several years have been the ones he's made in France: JCVD and The Bouncer...

The Kominsky Method is Incredibly great
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

What did you think of the final season without Norman?
    I went into it all pissy, and came out less grumbly than expected.

I like just about everything that Alan Arkin does. Having said that the writers did a great job with Norman’s story line right up until the last scene
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The big studios got tired of giving Netflix and others a cut. Now they'll have their own streaming sites. More like how many streaming sites can the internet support?
    This is what I was getting at. Hosting your own in-house streaming service costs money. Right now everyone is betting that they'll attract enough subscribers that subscriber revenue minus hosting costs will be more profitable than collecting licensing fees from Netflix, et al., which is basically passive income with no associated costs. You have to figure that for some of these new in-house streaming services that bet isn't going to pay off and they will prove to be less profitable than licensing.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-10-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You have to figure that that bet isn't going to pay off and some of these new in-house streaming services will prove to be less profitable than licensing.
    Yup! It's one of those businesses where a company has to grow for the sake of growth or it's going to die.

Remember Quibi? Yeah, neither does anybody else. 1.75 BILLION dollars blown in like 6 months on that one. Expensive business to play in. There are other failed streaming services, but nothing quite as colossal the shitshow that Quibi was.

Quibi was also an inherently riskier endeavor since it was non-traditional content. This list of big time studios and investment groups that got burned on that one is quite impressive, though.

This list of big time studios and investment groups that got burned on that one is quite impressive, though.
    The beauty of being a rich douchebag like Jeffrey Katzenberg is their unique ability to sucker a bunch of other rich douchebags into giving them piles of cash for terrible ideas, and getting to light all those piles of cash on fire and still walk away from the flaming wreckage a billionaire. I wish WE could crater a business and still walk away rich. Ah, to be an elite scumbag... So not fair. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    What did you think of the final season without Norman?
    I went into it all pissy, and came out less grumbly than expected.
    I think the story line was weak. But MD did some of his best work ever and carried the show to the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I think the story line was weak. But MD did some of his best work ever and carried the show to the finish.

Agree; although MD as the Old Man was jarring - glad they didn't actually try to sell that one with real footage.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I wish WE could crater a business and still walk away rich. Ah, to be an elite scumbag... So not fair. Haha.
    Same as it ever was, really.

Same as it ever was, really.
    For sure. For so many like them, even they "lose", they win.

Continuing with the thread drift:

1. Roku Channel picked up the Quibi catalog

2. After watching two of the shows--The Most Dangerous Game and Die Hart--it seems to me that Quibi failed because the content was mediocre, at best. Sure, they had recognizable talent, but the storylines and dialogue were meh. I did like the 6-minute episode format, but again, the two shows I watched weren't even remotely original in terms of ideas and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Continuing with the thread drift:

2. After watching two of the shows--The Most Dangerous Game and Die Hart--it seems to me that Quibi failed because the content was mediocre, at best. Sure, they had recognizable talent, but the storylines and dialogue were meh. I did like the 6-minute episode format, but again, the two shows I watched weren't even remotely original in terms of ideas and execution.
    Interesting. Both of those have some pretty impressive, star lined casts. I guess it proves that star power isn't quite enough to make a platform successful. Now that they're on Roku though, I'll have to at least check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    For “significantly less” than $100 million, <5 cents per investment dollar: https://www.wsj.com/articles/roku-ac...nt-11610116056

Netflix: instaView rec's

Trouble finding something bingeable…..so I’m going old school and have started from the beginning with a Breaking Bad binge.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Trouble finding something bingeable…..so I’m going old school and have started from the beginning with a Breaking Bad binge.
    Nice! Breaking Bad is hands down one of THE most bingeable shows I've ever watched.

Lupin is fairly entertaining
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Lupin is fairly entertaining
    fucking dubbing makes me want to rip my hair out. And by the time I get to this stuff I'm too sleepy to read subtitles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I thought Dentists could speak French
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

We recently did this. Thought the show was ok. Not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. Better Call Saul on the other hand was/is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    We recently did this. Thought the show was ok. Not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. Better Call Saul on the other hand was/is fantastic.
    Lol..I’m right at the point in my binge where they meet Saul….yes…next, I probably should just jump to a Saul binge.

Lol..I’m right at the point in my binge where they meet Saul….yes…next, I probably should just jump to a Saul binge.
    I think it’s still worth watching it the whole way. You’ll appreciate him that much more. There’s another spinoff about Jesse as well. We enjoyed that, too.