Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    There are SO many grade reversals, it's really hard to get any speed before you hit a short climb or tight, loose switchbacks that totally kill the flow.
    Sounds like most new sanctioned trails built these days, sadly.

Thanks for the real review Smmokan. That's a bummer - I was hoping for awesomeness. I wonder if the tread will firm up at all over next winter? Probably not much, but we can hope.

My buddy sent this to me today... his friend wasn't too pleased about his Plunge experience today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195253671_898206180741154_9104754756953319880_n.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	376419

Just wait until the upper section opens. Super pedally. The endurbros are going to hate it. Gonna be a great xc ride.

So disappoint.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Just wait until the upper section opens. Super pedally. The endurbros are going to hate it. Gonna be a great xc ride.
    Oh yeah.

It’s hard to imagine a pedally XC trail that drops 6000’, but they managed to knock it out of the park.

Oh yeah.

It’s hard to imagine a pedally XC trail that drops 6000’, but they managed to knock it out of the park.
    Me and fastfred are gonna have the KOM. My house is 20 min from the upper trailhead btw. Free camping if you bring weed and beer.

FREE camping if you bring weed and beer.
    Name:  confused-meme.jpeg
Views: 921
Size:  16.7 KB

Well I didn't mention ass, grass, or gas nothing is truly free

I think I figured it out...this trail will be the e-bike Enchilada, best enjoyed in turbo mode.
    Well played, ebike lobby, well played.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

e-bikes make it a two-way trail.

I think I am actually for this if the trail really is mediocre as a regular trail.
    Alternating ebike uphill/downhill days?

Me and fastfred are gonna have the KOM. My house is 20 min from the upper trailhead btw. Free camping if you bring weed and beer.
    I might just take you up on that

I will not yield to ebikes. Show me your motor!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I might just take you up on that
    Do it. I'll be in Montrose soon to braaaap

Jeezum crow, mountain bikers can be a whiny bunch. I'm gonna go build some trail, hopefully it will have the proper amount of "flow" for the cool kids.

Thanks for the reviews Smmokan. Did you post on MTBR as well? You'll crush some hopes and dreams over there.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Thanks for the reviews Smmokan. Did you post on MTBR as well? You'll crush some hopes and dreams over there.
    I made a subtle comment on one of the PP threads, but I didn't go into detail like I did here. I kind of feel bad even giving a negative review given the hype and major publicity the trail has received, and all the people involved in making it happen. Plus, I don't want to argue with people on MTBR.

Plus, I don't want to argue with people on MTBR.
    Smart move.

About 10 yrs ago I rode a new trail that somehow had 4,000 ft of elevation drop + needless uphill sections everywhere.

Like giving Tony Soprano a brick of coke & watching him bake cookies with it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hmmm, goes to show that no matter what kind of great intention and hard work goes into a trail if the soil/sand/rocks etc have zero cohesion it will never bed in, but just fall apart VERY quickly. Honestly sounds scary. There is a trail like that here. Most of it is amazing high alpine, but there is a pretty long section of zero cohesion bench cut into basically a sheer wall where every single switchback feels like you are about to die.

Edit:

Yeah, looks looose.

Hmmn, might be a good choice in the fall after some decent rain?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hmmn, might be a good choice in the fall after some decent rain?
    Unfortunately, Palisade Rim (which this trails runs through) mud is notorious for being the most miserably sticky glue you've even seen. The local Indians drew petroglyphs about it.

Bentonite clay mud = teh suck
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Jeezum crow, mountain bikers can be a whiny bunch. I'm gonna go build some trail, hopefully it will have the proper amount of "flow" for the cool kids.
    This for sure.

I watched the vid above and it looks pretty darn sweet to me.

I'm guessing a bunch of posters here haven't done very much trail building. Trails generally aren't 100% out of the gate, especially projects of this magnitude. As far as the sandy bits that's to be expected with new tread constructed in the arid south western desert areas, especially during what is now being called mega drought conditions. Maybe give it some time to set in and have the problem sections worked out before smack talking it for a while. I've been watching the build on IG and I know that there was a dedicated bunch that put there hearts and souls into this project.

That's my 2 cents as a professional trail builder but it doesn't matter, we learn to grow thick skin and tune out the crickets anyways. Everyone has their opinions but often the loudest critics have very little to zero experience working on trail projects and with project partners/land mangers etc.

And grade reversals are rad when done correctly. The number 1 rule to trail building today is get the water off the tread. With a trail this long and having such remote sections you don't want to construct a trail that's going to need a ton of maintenance.

Well, carry on TGR.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Bentonite clay mud = teh suck
    But when dry it's an awesome fast rolling tread surface. Another good reason for so many grade reversals, as long as it drains and doesn't pool very much it will dry and harden as soon as the sun hits it.

That stuff is brutal to hand build in tho, like the worst.
    dirtbag, not a dentist