Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Getting a little tired of bear baiters... They squat on easy road access around here and try to control public lands for themselves via the bear bait stand registration process. A bait stand can block off a whole damn drainage to reasonable access, and that's what most of them seem out to do...

Met a pair yesterday afternoon. Looked like a couple bible salesmen robbed a camo store. One had a silenced something-or-other strapped to his pack, the other had an AR-something in a 3-pt sling across his chest, finger erect like he just got out of Hunter Ed class. The neatly-bearded one was chubby, the one who looked like he never has to shave seemed reasonably fit. They were both half my age.

They allowed how they didn't really want me down there, as they had a bait stand about a mile down the track, and it's against the law for me to hunt within 1/4 mile of their bait stand. [smug smile]

I informed them that it was against the very same law to locate a bait stand within 1/4 mile of the Alaska Railroad, or any publicly maintained road or trail, and that there is a 1/4 mile bait station restriction from either bank of the Snow River [as well as certain other rivers and bays in Unit 7]. [no smile]

Blink..."Well we'd appreciate it if you didn't go hunting down there, since that's where we're hunting [they were walking up the railroad back to their truck]."

I knew right where they were hunting, a natural funnel where the easy foot access of the railroad runs along the toe of a mountain and parallel with the semi-braided Snow River. A creek drainage and a slide chute on the mountain to the E come together right there, and there's cutoff lakes and duck ponds all through the bottom there, as well as a bend in the fast deep river which makes the dry land on the river bottom a super game corridor.

Didn't recognize these boys as locals, and was a bit put off when they started quoting the law at me, so I asked them where they were from, expecting 'Anchorage' or 'Soldotna'...
    "Kentucky".

"Well, tell ya what: I'll just go where I came here to go. I'm climbing up the mountain to hunt for brown bear anyway. I shouldn't bother anything you boys are doing".

"You realize it's against the law to hunt over our bait stand?"

"Not if I'm a quarter mile over it, son. [smug smile] Y'all have ya a goon'un!" Away I went.

Happy Memorial Day, fuckos.
    Yeah, I've always thought the baiting thing was weird. Hauling rancid shit into the backcountry so that you can sit still in close proximity? Sounds sweet.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I’m used to hauling in hookers. Something about two birds, one stone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Yeah, I've always thought the baiting thing was weird. Hauling rancid shit into the backcountry so that you can sit still in close proximity? Sounds sweet.
    Not to mention Alaska is an awful long way to go from Kentucky just to sit bait when there are numerous states here in the lower 48 where you can do it too.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Speaking of baiting, a hunting buddy did the boat-in POW island bear hunt a while back. They boat into their spot, set up camp and Scott says he's going to take a walk up the beach with his rifle to check things out. Not far away he comes across a big fat boar - Boom. Tag punched. They spent the next 10 days baiting the crab traps with bear meat and just hammered the dungies.

No telling what their story was...doubtful either was military, although the one with the AR seemed quite proud of his erect trigger finger and cross-chest carry...Prob had written permission from the Resident who registered the bait station, who is one of their brothers-in-law, or church mission organizer.

They were too pink and new be hauling bear bait 1.25 miles and back, and I've seen no evidence of a bait station while freezing my nutz off glassing that area from 400' above it before greenup. Gotta have signs, gotta leave a copy of your Bait Station Registration in a conspicuous place, yadda.

I hung out there on my glassing knob above "their spot" until nearly midnight in a cruel south wind and occasional marine fog. Saw 3 moose [0 calves, it's supposed to be calving season], foxes, cinnamon, harleys, eiders, swans. But no eagles or gatherings of magpies and bluejays either.

Next time I meet them or anyone else seeking to block my access claiming "Bait Station" imma take pics of them their licenses and their permits and get an exact lat/lon/datum. Don't care if they have to yardsale their packs to get to them - that's why they're supposed to carry them.

Brown bear ends 23:59:59 May 31. Unit 7 Black bear=No Closed Season.

I caught some serious Idaho passive aggression (particular brand of passive aggressive is also common in Utah, maybe invented by Mormons) this spring in my bear unit. I had picked the unit based on the tough access because I knew it would limit other hunters, but the local outfitter had access through a gate on private land and was not happy to see us in “his” canyon.

Wanted to know how long I’d be there, where we were hunting and camping, etc. Told us he had paid clients coming in a few days. I was trying to be cool and have him point me out of his way as I wasn’t really interested in crossing paths with anyone but it was pretty clear he didn’t want us anywhere within miles. It must suck to try to make your living on public land.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I caught some serious Idaho passive aggression (particular brand of passive aggressive is also common in Utah, maybe invented by Mormons) this spring in my bear unit. I had picked the unit based on the tough access because I knew it would limit other hunters, but the local outfitter had access through a gate on private land and was not happy to see us in “his” canyon.

Wanted to know how long I’d be there, where we were hunting and camping, etc. Told us he had paid clients coming in a few days. I was trying to be cool and have him point me out of his way as I wasn’t really interested in crossing paths with anyone but it was pretty clear he didn’t want us anywhere within miles. It must suck to try to make your living on public land.
    I know the outfitter. Tell him to get fucked. There are two primary outfitters here...one who is cool as hell and is happy to engage and work with you and the other acts like his clients from CO or CA bought the fucking land when they hired him. We are far less likely to give a fuck about the latter. I'm sure that's who you ran into.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

"Bundy Guides and Outfitters and Land Title"

I know the outfitter. Tell him to get fucked. There are two primary outfitters here...one who is cool as hell and is happy to engage and work with you and the other acts like his clients from CO or CA bought the fucking land when they hired him. We are far less likely to give a fuck about the latter. I'm sure that's who you ran into.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Me and my kid had a pretty good time playing out every scenario of running into them again and how we'd handle it. I was initially pretty irritated because I would've gone out of my way to give them distance if they hadn't been a dick about it. But I figured maybe years of them dealing with Joe Q. Public had soured them on all interactions and kind of let it go.

No love from WA, other than the multi season deer tag.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Any SLC/PC/Wasatch Front Mags-late notice but we're doing a Bow Shoot/General Meeting for the Utah BHA chapter up at the Beehive Wasatch Bow club off the lambs canyon exit up parleys, free to shoot and join, we'll have the grill fired up for your meats and some beers to share.

six 1 seven 5 one three, 0 5 nine four
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Well, I drew the most coveted mule deer tag in the area, likely towards the top of the state. Only 10 hunters (3 of which comprise our group) have the tag, with 2 weeks of mule deer peak-rut hunting and a large, rugged unit to peruse.

Because Idaho isn't on a point system, it's a pure lottery every year and I didn't think there was any chance I'd ever draw it. I still can't believe it.

Here we go!

Well, I drew the most coveted mule deer tag in the area

Here we go!
    Sick. Should be a rad hunt. Buck or doe, means of take? Why so few tags issued do you know?

I drew 1st cow, 2nd deer (either sex) and will OTC a bull tag 2nd or 3rd - gametime decision.
    no dice on moose, sheep - but I took the points.

Haven't harvested elk in a couple years - jonesing for souvlaki and elkurritos!
    north bound horse.

Well, I drew the most coveted mule deer tag in the area, likely towards the top of the state. Only 10 hunters (3 of which comprise our group) have the tag, with 2 weeks of mule deer peak-rut hunting and a large, rugged unit to peruse.

Because Idaho isn't on a point system, it's a pure lottery every year and I didn't think there was any chance I'd ever draw it. I still can't believe it.

Here we go!
    Congrats Reverend! Always exciting when you draw a good tag. My new Stone Glacier pack arrived yesterday (Sky Archer). I have been overdue for a new pack for probably 5 years. The price on the modern packs is pretty crazy. Fingers crossed it gets lots of work carrying out elk and moose quarters this season!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Joining on the first weekend of a cow bison hunt in the Bookcliffs Roadless in October, Rifle cow elk late season, otc elk, and another 3 years of deer hunting on the dedicated hunter tag here in Utah for me.

Congrats Rev! I added a cow elk tag to my draws. It's a local hunt that goes for almost 3 months till the end of January, so lot's of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Congrats Rev! I added a cow elk tag to my draws. It's a local hunt that goes for almost 3 months till the end of January, so lot's of opportunity.
    East Canyon? Happy to exchange beta if its the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    East Canyon? Happy to exchange beta if its the same!
    Yep, that's the one. My son drew it too. We'll have to chat, I've hunted that area a few times with friends.

sent you an email.

No luck for me this year. I took all of September off for OTC archery though. Excited.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    No luck for me this year. I took all of September off for OTC archery though. Excited.
    Same area as last year?

Congrats on the tag!

Walked into sportsmans warehouse yesterday or what once was, sad to see what bass pro is doing to their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    That's my favorite hunt. I don't bother to even put in for an elk draw.

Here we go!

Congrats! The fact that there is only 7 other hunters to contend with is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Congrats on the tag!

Walked into sportsmans warehouse yesterday or what once was, sad to see what bass pro is doing to their stores.

What's the verdict?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk