Page 157 of 929 FirstFirst ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Driving in Missoula yesterday and I hear a radio ad for the COVID site. Walk-up, no appointments necessary and you can get a $15 Amazon or Apple gift card (or someplace else). Must be down to the anti Vax crowd only around here. That happened quickly...they opened to all groups approximately 4/1.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Not the worst use of government money I've seen. The gift card might pull in the junkies and homeless
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Starting on June 1, any tourist traveling to Alaska will be able to receive a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at the Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau or Ketchikan airports. It’s part of a larger multimillion-dollar marketing campaign, funded by federal stimulus money, to attract tourists back to the state.

Driving in Missoula yesterday and I hear a radio ad for the COVID site. Walk-up, no appointments necessary and you can get a $15 Amazon or Apple gift card (or someplace else). Must be down to the anti Vax crowd only around here. That happened quickly...they opened to all groups approximately 4/1.

My work is giving us money for getting vaccinated. I'm pretty sure we all were anyway but I'll take it. I do think it persuaded one of our younger employees to get it faster.

Wife got the 2nd Moderna on Thursday. Immediate pain at the injection site that began to migrate to her shoulders/neck shortly after. Woke up Friday AM with significant all-over body pain so called in sick to work. By around 2PM was in so much pain she could barely move and had a fever of 103.6. Fever broke around 5 but still with debilitating pain/exhaustion until Saturday AM when she was finally able to get out of bed. Says she feels fine now, just tired.

I'm getting #2 tomorrow. Can't wait.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It looks like I'm going to have to pull the plug on a trip to Canada that I rescheduled from last fall here soon. Seems unlikely the US/Canada border is going to re-open for recreational travel in 2021. Dang.

On the flip side, I am so glad that I spent as much time in BC/AB in 2019 as I did. There's nowhere else on earth I would rather spend time, but at least I have the memories to carry me through until you Canucks decide the citizens of that shithole country to your south are welcome again.
    Hey Covid is raging up here as well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Not the worst use of government money I've seen. The gift card might pull in the junkies and homeless
    Smartest idea I've heard since this whole mess started. When I was in the business of selling gifts to change group behavior (sales, safety and incentive programs) I was taught "Never overestimate the maturity of the individual nor underestimate the power of a small reward to the individual the motivate change."
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Edit: Damn, just posted this below and immediately see (I hadn't read the thread) that it's already on here.

If we want to incentivize younger people to get the vaccine and as soon as possible, take some of the Covid Relief package and offer $100 gift cards to anyone between 16 and 40 once they complete their 2 shot (or J&J) cycle. I would bet a bunch of the younger people, college age who either don't think it's important or are procrastinating, would jump on that.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Hey Covid is raging up here as well

I know. I hope you all manage to get it under control in relatively short order. I'll be back when it's allowed, whenever that may be. There's still a whole lot I want to see and do there.

Yesterday we opened up our mass vax site for walkins because we had large blocks of times with no appts. They had already cut the clinic hours back by 6 hrs.

Interesting group of people signed up yesterday. A lot of elderly and morbidly obese. A fair number of under 18yos, college students and cowboys who you would have thought would be anti but maybe they need to get vaxxed so they can compete.
    Last edited by KQ; 04-18-2021 at 08:03 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Thanks for sharing that.

The secrecy surrounding this process is chilling.
    It's an 8 hour long vid. Do solid for a mag and tell me what chills you.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    It's an 8 hour long vid. Do solid for a mag and tell me what chills you.
    Check the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

My sarcasm meter was trained to read analog inputs and struggles with remote digital readouts

Moderna #2 in the books. Started with a slight arm ache, got a very mild headache. Starting about at 8hours full body aches started. Progressively worse for the next 24 hours. I can see why people compare that to the flu feeling but it was different for me, didn't feel sick - more like I had a big motobike get off and now the body was in response mode with inflammation pain. Woke up the next day right as rain.

I was sort of dreading it but basically just need to ride it out thru the next day. Unpleasant but all of us have dealt with much worse. Get yours and just don't make plans the following day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-vac...mand-1.5989684

the political divide on who is vaxxing in the USA

guess before you open

guess before you open
    I generally think stats like that are BS. Lots of other things can create the same chart without making it political.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Wish the government had tied a $1500 stimulus check/credit to being vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Wish the government had tied a $1500 stimulus check/credit to being vaccinated.
    Then the government would be on the hook if something goes wrong. Right now it's maybe some weird clotting thing. There will be some other things. There always are. And really I don't think they really care that much. Seems it's the media and some regional governments that have gone nuts
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I generally think stats like that are BS. Lots of other things can create the same chart without making it political.
    such as ?

such as ?
    Not defending out resident dipshit, but the answer to your question was right in the article. Examples include;

" ... population density of your area, your education level, and whether you have regular access to health care."

guess before you open
    without seeing a statistical analysis my eyeball test says that the trend line is valid but the amount of overlap is considerable. You would really have to do a multivariate analysis to get a true picture--plot the percentage vaccinated against average years of education or against median income in a state and you might get a similar looking graph--like PG and HB said.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You're relatively new here. To the planet I mean. I don't recall ever hearing about politician ranting about the hoax of the polio vax. Or any vax for that matter. This is all about politics when it's Trump and the Jim Jordans that half the population listens to. It is a new day darlin'.

Apologies if this has been covered. With the mRNA vaccine there has been speculation we need a booster shot or possibly annual booster shots depending on how the virus mutates. Is there any concern about multiple mRNA sequences somehow creating an unexpected response? Would each new booster require a trial period?

I have little deep knowledge on this topic and my questions may be simplistic or foolish, but just been wondering and lots of smart folks on here.

I get my second Pfizer vaccine tomorrow and grateful for the work scientists have done to make it possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered. With the mRNA vaccine there has been speculation we need a booster shot or possibly annual booster shots depending on how the virus mutates. Is there any concern about multiple mRNA sequences somehow creating an unexpected response? Would each new booster require a trial period?

I have little deep knowledge on this topic and my questions may be simplistic or foolish, but just been wondering and lots of smart folks on here.

I get my second Pfizer vaccine tomorrow and grateful for the work scientists have done to make it possible.
    The mRNA that essentially IS the vaccine doesn't stick around beyond getting into your dedritic cells and getting translated into virus protein for further processing and presentation on the surface where it can engage B and T-cells. Then it goes away. Your body will establish resident B and T cell population that arise from the process so that if you're ever infected by the virus, you can mount a quick response. The education of the B and T cells is called "adaptive immunity" and conservatively takes around 2 weeks to complete. Bottom line, by the time a booster comes around there will not be any remaining mRNA from the first shot.

The FDA has already told Moderna and Pfizer that they can skip phase I of the clinical trials process. Phase I is exclusively designed to check for early safety issues while establishing dose ranges that are hypothesized to be effective while not causing toxicity. Therefore, the variant-versions of the mRNA vaccines are already in Ph2 and will have data by end of summer. Whether we need a booster at all is a question that is still pending longer-term follow up data.

Thanks for answering that and gives me a much better picture of what is going on

such as ?
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    without seeing a statistical analysis my eyeball test says that the trend line is valid but the amount of overlap is considerable. You would really have to do a multivariate analysis to get a true picture--plot the percentage vaccinated against average years of education or against median income in a state and you might get a similar looking graph--like PG and HB said.
    Something as simple as urban vs rural, or number of hospitals/clinics, or the weather, or actual incidence of disease, or mortality. All can do the same chart. Or population. Or how far one has to drive to get jabbed. Or the death rate per capita from COVID in the last year.

In any case, the chart uses color to make a political argument. Take away the RED, and the trend line, and then look at the scale on the left. It doesn't start at zero and end at 100. It starts at 30 and ends at 70 and pretty much everyone is between 40 and 60.

And it changes over time -- as much as probably reversing its trend line in another 100 days. So it is also a selected time slice and not indicative of hindsight.

California is pretty much even with North Dakota.
    New York state is pretty much even with Alaska.

There aren't more diametrically opposed polyass states than those 2 pairs and they pretty much register even on vaxing.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er