Page 24 of 120 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Thing #2 stated today on the padded seats was best day of the season, in spite of the fact that BC remained closed.
    Elevator Gate was open all day
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Does anyone have suggestions for solo touring up at Summit in bounds? I just want to get some time on some new skis before being at WSSM in the afternoon. I was thinking of just skinning up at Summit West or Hyak, but perhaps Alpy would be better? Never been up in the resort during operating hours.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for solo touring up at Summit in bounds? I just want to get some time on some new skis before being at WSSM in the afternoon. I was thinking of just skinning up at Summit West or Hyak, but perhaps Alpy would be better? Never been up in the resort during operating hours.
    Either West or Hyak are good options. Both are closed during weekdays.

Check the operating hours and tour up when closed if they aren’t grooming. Hyak is closed during the week so usually a good option. I wouldn’t tour up Alpental when open. I see people touring up West when it’s open all the time, probably central too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Go to Hyak (or West is ok too), stay away from Alpental uphill during lift served season.

There are no decent routes in bounds -uphill at Alp when the area is open that do not come in to contact with blind rollovers and downhill traffic.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Well there weren't any responses when I started typing this....

Alpental is closed to uphill travel during operating season (and ~2 weeks on either end). Hyak has more interesting terrain than West, but it could be harder to avoid downhill skiers. Definitely stick to the signed uphill routes at either if you're going when the lifts are spinning.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Alpental uphill is only allowed during operating hours. This is for Sunday morning so it's gonna be busy wherever. Sounds like Summit Central / West are the best options. I've been up Hyak and Alpental when they are closed / pre-season and totally see how it's hard to avoid downhill traffic during operating hours.

Snoqualmie also recently changed the uphill policy for non-alpy spots too.
    There are designated routes you need to follow for uphill travel during business hours for the Snoqualmie side.

For Alpy, you need to check in with Patrol first, and recently they've only been allowing folks up to the top of 3, but not beyond.

My two cents: show up to West, Fir, or Hyak at 6am or prior and get your laps in before they start spinning lifts. Then grab a coffee while watching the hoards show up.

Shoot me a text, we can head out on Sunday, need to give my new Visions a run through...
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    My two cents: show up to West, Fir, or Hyak at 6am or prior and get your laps in before they start spinning lifts. Then grab a coffee while watching the hoards show up.

Shoot me a text, we can head out on Sunday, need to give my new Visions a run through...
    This is my go to strategy. I prefer hyak for no reason in particular.

Skiing didn't suck today. I didn't make it up till after 11... Lines were longer than expected but I forgot the kiddies have mid winter break. Skied nash twice and then fled to central for shorter lines which could be had at triple 60. Little heavy but fun turns all over the mountain.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Go to Hyak (or West is ok too), stay away from Alpental uphill during lift served season.

There are no decent routes in bounds -uphill at Alp when the area is open that do not come in to contact with blind rollovers and downhill traffic.
    The uphill policy at Alpental will changing in the not too distant future and the other areas will have designated routes to follow
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Alpental is closed Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Alpental is closed Sunday
    Indeed.

Today was solid? Fine? Some hidden facies, probably great any other month. Just spoiled after last week or two.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Still solid, for sure way more surfy snow than those cold temps last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210220_130854~2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	364063

Name:	20210220_153222.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	364064

Name:	20210220_112026.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	364066.

Much goodness, it's pretty fat right now.

It’s dumping rain up at the pass and I-90 will be shutdown at 6pm sharp overnight for mitigation work.

Got up early and toured across the street from the summit yesterday and was rewarded with untracked, light, deep turns.

Name:	Image1613959230.498511.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	364209

Name:	Image1613959247.754384.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	364210

Name:	D7363383-C7D1-4DD5-9EE7-1581F38ECD4A.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	539.7 KB 
ID:	364211

This cycle has been insane. Such great snow quality

No skiing anywhere at snocrummy tmrw.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    No skiing anywhere at snocrummy tmrw.

The quality of the snow has degraded significantly today it was tough to make a turn on the upper mtn

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    The quality of the snow has degraded significantly today it was tough to make a turn on the upper mtn
    This month has been absolutely amazing

Saturday was awesome.

My read of the forecast is that this rain event is just a brief intermission. Things look really good for later in the week.

I'll be really curious to see how this rain impacts snow stability. Maybe we'll get the flush that we need and by next weekend we won't be so worried about the pesky high avalanche danger lurking 7' deep in the snowpack. Time will tell, but it would be nice to be able to venture onto bigger, more exposed terrain.

Yesterday there was a wide spread natural cycle right around 10am as the snow level increased, but it was only entraining the new snow from the last ~24 hrs. Kind of hard to see but everything in this pic up by the face fractured 12-18", 700'+ wide and ran all the way.

Name:	20210221_131304.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	364356

Curious to see if any heavy loading of cornices or the harder rain today cause slope failures or forest remodeling.

Standing by for gnarly avalanche footage or reports of any above mentioned forest remodeling

Pretty impressive pineapple. At least at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Yesterday there was a wide spread natural cycle right around 10am as the snow level increased, but it was only entraining the new snow from the last ~24 hrs. Kind of hard to see but everything in this pic up by the face fractured 12-18", 700'+ wide and ran all the way.

Name:	20210221_131304.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	364356

Curious to see if any heavy loading of cornices or the harder rain today cause slope failures or forest remodeling.
    If the first rains wiped away the new snow, the continual rain could cause another cycle down to that mid-January PWL.

Big bombs go BOOM!!! tomorrow.

Trying to finagle a day off on Friday. We'll see how that goes, and if the pass even opens to let employees up for Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Big bombs go BOOM!!! tomorrow.

Trying to finagle a day off on Friday. We'll see how that goes, and if the pass even opens to let employees up for Friday.
    I wouldn't mine spinning a lap or two Friday if I can pull it off