Size:	532.5 KB 
ID:	359757

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD9A78DC-8427-46B6-9025-A5B16F9F8C31.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	549.5 KB 
ID:	359758

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ^^^Is that Upper Downeaster under the chair? That's so rarely open. Goes to show how much snow is in SVT right now.
    Yes it is. And there is a ton. I’ve been skiing Peru to East Dorset via mt tabor. It’s deep.

That is the skin track out the ridge from the resort, it's definitely seen a lot of traffic after the recent snow. On the way out we passed a group of about 7 people skinning up and the lot was packed on 242 so not sure how much is left back there.

Looks like you got after it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by VT skier View Post
    ridge_skier
    If that's the skin track, along the ridge to Big Jay it looks pretty slayed ! Never seen so many cars at the Big Jay pullout on 242. Hardly a secret now.
    First skier pic, Strawberry Fields?
    I went somewhere, less traveled on Friday..

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Guy buried on the rock pile...no beacon, probe, or shovel.

Guys running on Lafayette loses shoe, so shoeless, needs rescuing.

Seriously, what in the fuck.
    Lulz, can't make this shit up. People that can't tie their own shoes shouldn't be on mountaintops. And just a week ago that other runner needing rescue after getting lost.

FRANCONIA, N.H. (WCAX) - Two hikers are safe after losing their way over the weekend on Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire.

One of the hikers lost his shoes and tried to trudge through several feet of snow, but became so cold and tired he put his feet into his pack and waited for a rescue team.

A New Hampshire Army National Guard helicopter pulled the 35-year-old and 34-year-old hikers to safety and took them to the hospital.

We are told minutes after the helicopter left the area, the mountain was covered in a cloud that officials say would have prohibited an air rescue.

The hikers told rescue teams they had to thaw out a frozen cellphone to call 911 for help.

We don’t know their conditions.

For my King trip this spring I am inviting Danyela along for safeties sake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 10.01.20 AM.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	359784
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Beautiful day for a ski date with my wife at Saddleback. Low tide in the trees and glades, but exceptional snow on the groomers and plenty of space to let ‘em run. New lift is speedy and smooth providing lots of laps. The ‘Back is back!
    And now another attempt to bring a Maine hill back from near death. Some serious money behind this effort, too.

https://www.stormskiing.com/

"If all goes well, the negligent and incompetent owner of Maine’s Big Squaw ski area will soon be exiled to Florida and the mountain transferred to new owners. Its Homestead-era name would give way to the more palatable Moosehead Lake Ski Resort, a new quad would re-open the long-dormant upper mountain, and new snowmaking, lodging, and trails would expand and modernize the whole operation.
    This $75 million investment would come courtesy of local developer Perry Williams and Provident Resources Group, a nonprofit out of Louisiana. Why a Baton Rouge-based outfit is involved or even what they would do (their website opaquely states that they “serve our charitable missions by undertaking a broad range of services, activities, and programs”), is unimportant at this time. Money can do amazing things, and $75 million is a lot of money.
    What’s important is that Canfalone could soon be gone. He is indisputably the worst ski area owner in New England, and probably on the continent. Despite clear requirements in the 1995 sales contract that he maintain the ski area, he has allowed it to deteriorate. The upper mountain hasn’t been accessible since a 2004 chairlift accident. The ski area sat dormant for years afterward, until a local Friends of the Mountain volunteer group resuscitated the lower mountain. In November, a judge concluded the State of Maine’s four-year lawsuit against Canfalone for tax delinquency, illegal timber harvesting, and negligence by ordering him to restore the place to its mid-90s condition or sell.
    Thankfully for all of us, he seems to have chosen to sell. A Facebook comment from the Friends of the Mountain administrator indicates that “the resort is under contract.” Of course, plenty could still go wrong. And not just with the sale. The goal of opening by next winter may be overly optimistic. This is not Saddleback, which had sat dormant for five years but had been showered with tens of millions in upgrades by the Berry family in the decade before that. They upgraded lifts and snowmaking and dramatically expanded the trail network. The bones were there. It’s hard to say what state of osteoporosis Big Squaw’s upper mountain is in.
    Still, the potential here is enormous. The restored ski area would tower 1,700 vertical feet, with a developable footprint of up to 1,700 acres. New buildings would anchor a “Mountain Village.” The resort swallows the current trail network, suggesting plenty of room to expand:

On the plus side, the lower mountain has been maintained and the Facebook group’s 10,000-plus followers suggest a dormant passion for an abused asset. On the flip side, the ski area is so remote that it makes Sugarloaf seem like Times Square, and Maine is littered with failed ski areas and failed ski area revitalization efforts. I’m choosing cautious optimism."

I would say it has a better chance than the Balsams to see it through. Balsams have their tax breaks approved (not sure on sunset) and the Moosehead Lake Project is dependent on state guaranteed loans which FAME has not given to them yet.

Plan calls for a relatively simple lift installation with one lift to top and surface connector lift from lower area to upper area.

Will need upper mountain snowmaking and new buildings.

Large tract of land to be developed included in parcel including a nice large sandy beach pond, views of Katahdin and Kineo with close proximity to Moosehead Lake.

Given how folks from your state have been flooding into Maine (well the white folks) probably has a good chance so long as stock market stays high.

Mountain has some real fun terrain.

It has a sad history where Scott paper company made a big land swap with State of Maine and threw the mountain in. State leased it and with no insensitive to maintain/improve it the infrastructure suffered. Canfalone bought it with big plans, but then https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/c...n-icon-6334778. And the upper mountain chairlift derailed with serious injuries and never turned again. Finally Canfalone has been locked up in court with the state for years while the creditors sat by.

I was fortunate to grow up with a family camp near Moosehead. It is one of the nicer four season areas in the northeast. With plum creek having finished their legal work on how they are dividing their holdings around Moosehead, this is the premium property left.

Still a long ways to go, but if the state guarantees the loans likely will happen.

Name:  9B7A0094-40CF-4C48-B2BB-CA3810FB79AC.jpeg
Views: 754
Size:  22.1 KB

I listened to a podcast interview with the new manager of Saddleback, and he and his investors seem to think that Maine is a good place to put their money if one believes that global warming will drive northeast skiers further north.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I listened to a podcast interview with the new manager of Saddleback, and he and his investors seem to think that Maine is a good place to put their money if one believes that global warming will drive northeast skiers further north.
    what podcast? would like to listen to that.

Moosehead is sweet, but it's so incredibly far from anything. I'm not sure who that resort would cater to.

That looks like a great hill, steep with good views. Hope they can make it happen
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    what podcast? would like to listen to that.

Moosehead is sweet, but it's so incredibly far from anything. I'm not sure who that resort would cater to.
    https://www.stormskiing.com/p/podcas...tm_source=copy

I got back on my horse after my battle with the vid.

I did a crazy four day thing, skiing four different areas in NY. Plattekill, Snow Ridge, Gore and McCauley. I hadn't skied for a month, and that first day especially, in windblown snow was tough.

A few pics:

Moguljunkie at Plattekill

Scottski and Brownski at Snow Ridge

Gore was brutally cold, but the skiing was good

Olympic at McCauley

My story:
    https://nyskiblog.com/a-new-york-ski-journey/

I was beat, but actually worked out pretty well, with two pow days.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Stuart does a nice job with the podcasts and his blog is worth subscribing to as well. Search for the Storm Skiing Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    I got back on my horse after my battle with the vid.

I did a crazy four day thing, skiing four different areas in NY. Plattekill, Snow Ridge, Gore and McCauley. I hadn't skied for a month, and that first day especially, in windblown snow was tough.

A few pics:

Moguljunkie at Plattekill

Scottski and Brownski at Snow Ridge

Gore was brutally cold, but the skiing was good

Olympic at McCauley

My story:
    https://nyskiblog.com/a-new-york-ski-journey/

I was beat, but actually worked out pretty well, with two pow days.
    Read the blog post Harv. Welcome back and glad you beat the virus. Plattekill looked mobbed on Friday

Webcams showing Stratton getting dumped on right meow
    crab in my shoe mouth

^ wait! did you just say "meow"??

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Read the blog post Harv. Welcome back and glad you beat the virus. Plattekill looked mobbed on Friday
    yea good seeing you and getting a few runs in friday harvey...and strong comeback with 4 mountains in 4 days

nuking

Stu is the man. I believe he is skiing new snow, right now, under the lights in NNY.

Thanks for reading. Somehow the writing really helps me process what's happening.

Yep - nuking again in SoVt. Started dumping at 3 with an inch+ down by last chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Webcams showing Stratton getting dumped on right meow
    I agree this is classic

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Lulz, can't make this shit up. People that can't tie their own shoes shouldn't be on mountaintops. And just a week ago that other runner needing rescue after getting lost.

FRANCONIA, N.H. (WCAX) - Two hikers are safe after losing their way over the weekend on Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire.

One of the hikers lost his shoes and tried to trudge through several feet of snow, but became so cold and tired he put his feet into his pack and waited for a rescue team.

A New Hampshire Army National Guard helicopter pulled the 35-year-old and 34-year-old hikers to safety and took them to the hospital.

We are told minutes after the helicopter left the area, the mountain was covered in a cloud that officials say would have prohibited an air rescue.

The hikers told rescue teams they had to thaw out a frozen cellphone to call 911 for help.

We don’t know their conditions.
    How does one lose their shoes? Did they fall into a deep cavern on Lafayette!? Why were they off to begin with...so many questions.

Took a little bit for them to post this one...https://mountwashingtonavalanchecent...in-left-gully/

East Coast Roll Call #??? 20-21 Covid closures and hard core touring! Be Fit or Sit

Cavern you say?
    Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.
    crab in my shoe mouth

3-6" at the loaf before, pixie dust on cord!

then my lenses froze over

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Cavern you say?
    Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.
    Dirty hippie Did you watch dinner and a movie last night?

East Coast Roll Call #??? 20-21 Covid closures and hard core touring! Be Fit or Sit

I missed last night. Not a huge fan of 2.0, I actually prefer 3.0, even more so than 1.0.
    crab in my shoe mouth

From the Mt Washington report: Skier 2 did not see their friend and skied away. Oy!