Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hmmm thanks all, was thinking it might work in the name of those that say your touring ski should be shorter for tight spaces, but maybe this is too short...:
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Has anyone tried mounting these skis back from the line? I find that I get tip dive issues and I've really got to lean heavily on the tails to get them to plane up. Right now I'm at +.6cm from the line based on the previous mount.

I'm thinking about remounting at -.5cm or maybe -1cm. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Has anyone tried mounting these skis back from the line? I find that I get tip dive issues and I've really got to lean heavily on the tails to get them to plane up. Right now I'm at +.6cm from the line based on the previous mount.

I'm thinking about remounting at -.5cm or maybe -1cm. Thoughts?
    The huge range of tourable boots and bindings available now can play a big role in fore-aft balance. I would check forward lean and ramp of the set up you ski the Beasts with and compare to another set up that works for you before drilling more holes. Too much or too little of either variable can make an otherwise great set up ski like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    The huge range of tourable boots and bindings available now can play a big role in fore-aft balance. I would check forward lean and ramp of the set up you ski the Beasts with and compare to another set up that works for you before drilling more holes. Too much or too little of either variable can make an otherwise great set up ski like shit.
    That's a good point, I don't know too much about it, but basically I would probably have to get some spacers for the toepiece to reduce my effective forward lean.

I did hear though that Hoji-esque skis (which I believe these Beasts have this full rocker and mount point similar to Hoji skis) are very sensitive to mount point - especially being forward of the line.

Reviving this one again.

Anyone been on the newer 20/21 version? Supposedly has some camber underfoot. And they are really hyping up the big mountain ability of it (cliffs, steeps, etc). Can anyone speak to this in real life or is it just their marketing hype?

Quote Originally Posted by powderdetective View Post
    Reviving this one again.

Anyone been on the newer 20/21 version? Supposedly has some camber underfoot. And they are really hyping up the big mountain ability of it (cliffs, steeps, etc). Can anyone speak to this in real life or is it just their marketing hype?
    Ugh... why do most of the full reverse offerings end up putting camber in?

It makes it tough to know what model I'm losing at and what I want to buy. People who want full reverse, want full reverse.

If you want a cambered ski, give it a new name so I know what I'm looking at.

/end rant

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Ugh... why do most of the full reverse offerings end up putting camber in?

It makes it tough to know what model I'm losing at and what I want to buy. People who want full reverse, want full reverse.

/end rant

It’s appealing to the masses to have camber.

As for full reverse - how sensitive is it to mount point?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I like how WNDR has camber and no-camber versions of its two skis. Although probably easier when you're a small co. with only two models
    It's similarly confusing with like the BC Corvus which (I think) went back and forth between camber and flat/reverse over a few years. That makes a pretty big difference!

And on reverse camber mount point. I agree with above that going to a hoji-like recommended line works, but any further forward can really not work (at least for me). I had an old pair of 4frnt Rens that I had to remount and had to put them a bit forward and there was suddenly way too much stiff tail

It’s appealing to the masses to have camber.

As for full reverse - how sensitive is it to mount point?
    Right but there are already a lot of those kinds of skis for the masses.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    And on reverse camber mount point. I agree with above that going to a hoji-like recommended line works, but any further forward can really not work (at least for me). I had an old pair of 4frnt Rens that I had to remount and had to put them a bit forward and there was suddenly way too much stiff tail
    That's exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    I like how WNDR has camber and no-camber versions of its two skis. Although probably easier when you're a small co. with only two models
    It's similarly confusing with like the BC Corvus which (I think) went back and forth between camber and flat/reverse over a few years. That makes a pretty big difference!
    Yeah the corvus (non-freebird) is flat underfoot with rocker tip and tail. It rips. I was hoping to find something similar for the backcountry. Beast 108 seems promising?

Quote Originally Posted by powderdetective View Post
    Yeah the corvus (non-freebird) is flat underfoot with rocker tip and tail. It rips. I was hoping to find something similar for the backcountry. Beast 108 seems promising?
    Based on rocker pics and mount point it seems very similar. But I would say the Beast 108 are stiffer compared to Blister's report. As I've noted above, I found tip dive to be an issue in the backcountry, but I am .6cm forward of the line which it may be very sensitive to.

I'm hemming and hawing about a remount.

Based on rocker pics and mount point it seems very similar. But I would say the Beast 108 are stiffer compared to Blister's report. As I've noted above, I found tip dive to be an issue in the backcountry, but I am .6cm forward of the line which it may be very sensitive to.

This article is in reference to hojis/rens, but I think generally would apply to all full reverse skis. If you have a larger BSL than average (who knows what the Beast 108 line was referring to as average, in the case of the hoji he was just using his BSL), or are a bigger guy, you want to mount back of the line slightly. I am on the line on my rens and hojis and love them there, but am a light guy (145 lbs), with a relatively small BSL (305 mm). If I was larger I could see myself moving back to keep the tips up, and agree that full reverse are definitely very sensitive to mount point, especially if moving forward.

http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    This article is in reference to hojis/rens, but I think generally would apply to all full reverse skis. If you have a larger BSL than average (who knows what the Beast 108 line was referring to as average, in the case of the hoji he was just using his BSL), or are a bigger guy, you want to mount back of the line slightly. I am on the line on my rens and hojis and love them there, but am a light guy (145 lbs), with a relatively small BSL (305 mm). If I was larger I could see myself moving back to keep the tips up, and agree that full reverse are definitely very sensitive to mount point, especially if moving forward.

http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too
    Basically it sounds like the idea is you want the ball of your feet in exactly the right position. This makes complete sense. On the Beast the mount point is already -7.75cm which is farther back than Hoji skis usually are - but also, this ski is not designed by Hoji.

My feeling with how it skis is that my centered stance definitely weights too much on the tips of the skis. I may try and get some demo plates and mount with those to really dial in the mount point.

Basically it sounds like the idea is you want the ball of your feet in exactly the right position. This makes complete sense. On the Beast the mount point is already -7.75cm which is farther back than Hoji skis usually are - but also, this ski is not designed by Hoji.

My feeling with how it skis is that my centered stance definitely weights too much on the tips of the skis. I may try and get some demo plates and mount with those to really dial in the mount point.
    Demo plates would probably be a smart move. Reverse camber skis are just sensitive to a variety of factors. What a centered stance means for you and how you weight your skis through a turn is going to be different than how I or others ski, and dialing in that balance point takes a little bit of trial and error. I was lucky that the recommended line worked straight away for me on hojis, then I bought some rens and already knew I would like them on the line. But there are plenty of stories on here of people moving mount point back and preferring them there.

It also makes sense that if the beast does have a stiffer shovel, the mount point is going to need to be back of the hoji for similar float.

That sounds like it could be what I looking for then. If they need a centered stance though they may be more similar to the 4FRNTs than the corvus. Corvus need to be driven through the tips mostly.

I weighed this years 194 beast 108s at the shop and they were 1700g each which is notably lighter than the published weights. Maybe their scale is broken. I may demo these if it ever snows here again, if I do I'll try and give some feedback. And I'll weigh them on my scale for gram-weenie verifications. Very little camber on the pairs I looked at, like almost flat.

Anyone ski them yet?

Been skiing the older orange 181s a bunch this winter. In pow and packed snow they're pretty great. Less pivot than expected but predictable and fun. They do well in wind-effect but aren't magical like protests are.

It can take a minute to re-find the balance point given the tons of rocker, especially in situations where there's a few inches of non-blower over a harder base - dicking around off the side of resort runs on the way back to the car, for example, where they feel rockinghorse.

There have also been a few times where the 20m radius feels too fucking short and not the smooth, no-hook I expect from a r-f-r ski. I've had the tips whip around on me in sticky snow or if I'm too far forward trying to kill speed when I expect to be able to just pivot and slide.

In a perfect world, I probably should have gotten a second mortgage and gotten BMT109s for the longer radius and more gradual rocker (or a Raven mounted back, I guess) but these work well as mid-winter pow touring skis.

Wow that is a lot lighter than the advertised weight. Anyone who has skied the new version (in any length!) please chime in!

I have the orange ones, from what I've been told, the 3mm of rocker in the centre has been removed to make them essentially flat. The stiffness shouldn't have changed. The guy that manages the skis said they felt similar to before, in my opinion a very stable, reliable feel from a 1700g ski.

With lockdown here I didn't bother trying the new ones yet though. Can post again when i do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Can post again when i do though.
    That would be rad

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Lots and lots of rocker. I was hoping for a wider Beast 98, and this wasn't it.
    Have you found a wider Beast 98? I have 184 Meteorites (heavier predecessor to Beast 98 with same shape) and they are just about perfect as an all-rounder. They strike a good balance between being directional but being fun and easy in tight spots. But I wouldn’t mind something with a touch more width.
    Last edited by D(C); 03-22-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Have you found a wider Beast 98? I have 184 Meteorites (heavier predecessor to Beast 98 with same shape) and they are just about perfect as an all-rounder. They strike a good balance between being directional but being fun and easy in tight spots. But I wouldn’t mind something with a touch more width.
    The new Beast 108 has camber

Just mounted my 19-20s with Backland tours, 188, on the line, crappy commentary to follow the first ski soon
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.