Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Extinct Skis and Gear

Several recent threads have me thinking about what ski models and gear are lost to time or neutered that still have a place on today's slopes.

Stuff that should still be on the market:
    - Smith Z Bends - Clean sets can be seen on eBay for $300+.
    - First generation Blizzard flipcore skis - One dimensional, but there has not been a better open bowl chunder/crud ski than that first Cochise. They neutered it for better groomer and pow performance, a mistake in my opinion.
    - Lotus 138 / 120 - Are these actually discontinued? I have not been on these but they seem to be the genre defining deep pow touring options. The only DPS' I would think about purchasing.
    - Lhasa - Another somewhat one dimensional ski, but that pintail shape is so money on soft, wet, spring snow.

Stuff with cult followings but modern options are acceptable or better.
    - Explosivs - I bet a modern Mantra does everything an Explosiv did plus more.
    - Steel 916s - Does anyone actually blow up the latest generation STHs?
    - Line Prophets = J Skis The Metal
    - Flexons = Full Tilts. But Kryptons are better made and better designed anyway...

What you got?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Good lists, and I think you're right about both categories.

The OG Bodacious is a cold dead hands ski for me. In fact, I'm on the lookout for another pair of 186s to hoard. Also picked up a pair of cheap used L138s this summer and am really impressed after a couple days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Several recent threads have me thinking about what ski models and gear are lost to time or neutered that still have a place on today's slopes.

Stuff that should still be on the market:
    - Smith Z Bends - Clean sets can be seen on eBay for $300+.
    - First generation Blizzard flipcore skis - One dimensional, but there has not been a better open bowl chunder/crud ski than that first Cochise. They neutered it for better groomer and pow performance, a mistake in my opinion.
    - Lotus 138 / 120 - Are these actually discontinued? I have not been on these but they seem to be the genre defining deep pow touring options. The only DPS' I would think about purchasing.
    - Lhasa - Another somewhat one dimensional ski, but that pintail shape is so money on soft, wet, spring snow.

Stuff with cult followings but modern options are acceptable or better.
    - Steel 916s - Does anyone actually blow up the latest generation STHs?
    - Line Prophets = J Skis The Metal
    - Flexons = Full Tilts. But Kryptons are better made and better designed anyway...

What you got?
    A couple years ago the DPS production manager came thru here to climb Denali by fair means, SLC to AK by bike, ran into him in a bar, said he had some forms for the Lotus 120 still kicking around but didnt know anything about the ski, I told him it was a cult classic build it and they will buy but I kind of doubt that will happen ... marketings gotta market some new shit eh ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My wife still has a perfectly functional pair of Flexons.

+1 on the Explosivs, sold a minty pair of the blue 2s here many years ago after I bought early gen Mantras and still don't understand? Please school me...
    BTW, have a pair of Spatulas on loan waiting on a storm... I gather "if you know you know"?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Old Dynastars. LP's, XXL's, LP105, etc. Such a damp, smooth ride. I haven't found another mid-width ski that has such a nice combination of dampness, long radius sidecut, and stiffness without being punishing for a medium sized person such as myself.

I bet it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

186 Lhasa fat with kusala rocker.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Spatula
    Z toe Pivots
    Geze toe Pivots
    Worm heel 9-16, 11-17, 14-20 Salomons
    Kastle MX98, RX70 w/ Billet plate
    Click. Point. Chute.

EHP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still can't believe Head discontinued their Monster series. I have yet to find a suitable replacement for charging shitfuck hardpack conditions.

Spademan Bindings
    Scott Boots

Salomon SX91... Yes, I'm hoarding a few pair. They should be brought back with tech fittings and lugged soles. That's my dream.

Gotama?

Seems to be very reliable out here on the BC Coast for North Shore night skiing, Whistler meh days, and interior resort days in between touring.

I am flat base biased though.

Not sure the 100 eight series matches up to the gotama.

My $0.02

Safe skiing out there, some big events out here lately.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Someone needs to start a retro-grouch ski company that only makes exact copies of great, now defunct ski designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Spatula
    Z toe Pivots
    Geze toe Pivots
    Worm heel 9-16, 11-17, 14-20 Salomons
    Kastle MX98, RX70 w/ Billet plate
    Ive always wanted to try those 194 MX198s

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Salomon SX91... Yes, I'm hoarding a few pair. They should be brought back with tech fittings and lugged soles. That's my dream.
    Atomic and Nordica have modern rear entry options - although focused towards recreational skiers.... I wonder how they’d ski in a higher flex....

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Salomon SX92X
    Salomon 916 (or Steel)
    Marker Comp 18 or 20
    Völkl Katana
    Völkl Shiro

Bindings with Full Metal Housing and the old Katanas and the old Shiros. Those were the days.

Found myself recently a Shiro in 193cm in very good condition - could not be more happy. Sold my old 204 two years ago which was a big mistake.

For Bindings I trust those old full metal toe pieces more than this plastic crap.

The Salomon SX92 was my first boot that did fit my feet. Might be wrong here, but it was the best boot ever. Wonder how I would think about it if could ski them now.

BD Skyhoy!

Atomic and Nordica have modern rear entry options - although focused towards recreational skiers.... I wonder how they’d ski in a higher flex....

the SX91 was aimed at recreational skiers too, i would bet the new Nordicas and Atomics ski exactly the same, perfect for tail gunning bumps and not much else
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMTN19 View Post
    Gotama?

Seems to be very reliable out here on the BC Coast for North Shore night skiing, Whistler meh days, and interior resort days in between touring.

I am flat base biased though.

Not sure the 100 eight series matches up to the gotama.

My $0.02

Safe skiing out there, some big events out here lately.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    +1, finally parted with my last pair 19/20... And the the 108 skis like a 2x4...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The fucking 196 4frnt renegade #RIP

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    the SX91 was aimed at recreational skiers too, i would bet the new Nordicas and Atomics ski exactly the same, perfect for tail gunning bumps and not much else
    Blasphemy! Marc Girardelli, Scot Schmidt, and others seemed to have done ok in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

he was spansered and that ^^is the sx90, the 91 was red & white, the 92 was black/yellow/orange
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    he was spansered and that ^^is the sx90, the 91 was red & white, the 92 was black/yellow/orange
    All true. Sponsored or not they skied them well, harder than most of the dentists around here. The 91 was the sweet spot... the 90 was the very basic original idea and the 92 got too bloated with added "features". Anyways, the old world Italian bootmaker Mafia brokered a deal with the Austrians to embark on the smear campaign of "rear entry boots are for recreationa skiers" parroted above because everyone hates the French. This character assassination obviously worked.