Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    We saw her at the base of Buttermilk...

He fell about 20' onto pads per Hanle.

Hope we get another good cycle soon.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    We saw her at the base of Buttermilk...

He fell about 20' onto pads per Hanle.

Hope we get another good cycle soon.
    Not unexpected that an "Influencer" or whatever they are called would exaggerate and claim 40ft.

Fingers crossed for the next couple days that it doesn't completely peter out...then maybe 2 to 4 on Saturday. Every little bit right now.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 12-22-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Not unexpected that an "Influencer" or whatever they are called would exaggerate and claim 40ft.

Fingers crossed for the next couple days that it doesn't completely peter out...then maybe 2 to 4 on Saturday. Every little bit right now.
    Who was it?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Who was it?
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/enter...ift/index.html

Rachel Zoe? Apparently a famous hair dresser or something....famous enough to make CNN lol
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Rachel Zoe? Apparently a famous hair dresser or something....famous enough to make CNN lol
    Fucking who?

Ask and ye shall receive! Crazy wind and loading last night

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Going to be interesting to see how things ski after that wind.

I am officially even more scared for people in the BC. Be careful out there!

maybe x post to crazy eyes thread? Yikes.

I am officially even more scared for people in the BC. Be careful out there!
    +1.
    Serious squalls, huge gusts, temp swings, 5" reported. I want to get out and dig again .. at or above timberline and wind loaded slopes going to be an interesting study.
    north bound horse.

We had 2" on the car at 9 pm last night, none this morning. Always a fun, find the right angle, maybe, and ski the troughs.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

cmon there are no drama queens in Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    cmon there are no drama queens in Aspen
    Not one.

Heading out in a few to shred some Buttermilk
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Walk on Gondi’s @ 9:15, Saturday 12/26.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	354890

This isn't a bad place to be a skier.

Name:	Image1609005498.746788.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	354908

Merry Christmas ski up the pass with the twins

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Name:	Image1609005498.746788.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	354908

Merry Christmas ski up the pass with the twins

Thanks, was wondering what it looked like up there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

How do you guys manage to get more than ~50 days out of a pair of resort skis here? Any recommended stones for touching up rock damaged edges? I feel like I'm going to tune through the edges on my skis by about Valentine's Day.

Not trying to be gripe, the skiing has been a ton of fun lately, but I've hit more rocks in the last 5 days than in the previous 9 seasons, and unlike some other rocky hills, it really behooves you to have sharp edges here.

Or do I just buy two pairs of cheap firm snow skis every season and flog them until they give up the ghost?

On an unrelated note: this is my second time living in the RFV, and my advice for anyone moving here is to sack up and buy a premier pass. Don't balk at the price, don't try to make due with 7 days. Living here and throttling your opportunities to ski is a recipe for grumpiness; ask me how I know.

^^^^ tools not jewels man....... i suggest you kindly sack the fuck up and stop worrying about stupid shit like your skis getting dinged

I'll wait for some feedback from someone who lives within 1,000 miles of here, thanks.

I have no qualms about hitting the occasional rock (hence my query), but there's a lot of hardpack skiing here, and having edges that look and feel like a serrated steak knife is suboptimal in those conditions.

Well if it makes you feel better there's a hell of alot more stuff to hit this year than any other in recent memory. I reckon we're darn lucky they got snowmaking high on Ajax this year.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    How do you guys manage to get more than ~50 days out of a pair of resort skis here? Any recommended stones for touching up rock damaged edges? I feel like I'm going to tune through the edges on my skis by about Valentine's Day.

Not trying to be gripe, the skiing has been a ton of fun lately, but I've hit more rocks in the last 5 days than in the previous 9 seasons, and unlike some other rocky hills, it really behooves you to have sharp edges here.

Or do I just buy two pairs of cheap firm snow skis every season and flog them until they give up the ghost?

On an unrelated note: this is my second time living in the RFV, and my advice for anyone moving here is to sack up and buy a premier pass. Don't balk at the price, don't try to make due with 7 days. Living here and throttling your opportunities to ski is a recipe for grumpiness; ask me how I know.
    I haven't mounted this years skis yet.... It's thin.

We just pony up and know that we'll be pissy on that sunday after a storm cycle if we're finding excuses not to go up there.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I'll wait for some feedback from someone who lives within 1,000 miles of here, thanks.
    Tools not jewels for sure. Growing up in the NFV and moving to the PNW, the thought of having rock skis in Oregon is laughable. Importing ON3Ps or similar is the move. Those 2.5mm edges last a little longer.

I have no qualms about hitting the occasional rock (hence my query), but there's a lot of hardpack skiing here, and having edges that look and feel like a serrated steak knife is suboptimal in those conditions.
    You think hitting rocks on a thin snowpack is unique to your part of the Rockies??

If you don’t have rock skis yet, either demote a pair you currently have or buy a pair that can be used/abused. That’s skiing in the intermountain west for you.

So... x3 on the “tools not jewels” approach.

I don't ski my real/nice skis till January, and even then I'm still watching for rocks. But I'm also not purposely careful off-piste and like to charge... I just roll with a skinny and fat rock ski as it slowly fills in. Edges shot, sidewalls compressed and core shots aplenty. Not for everyone but works for me.

And yes, always Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    Tools not jewels for sure. Growing up in the NFV and moving to the PNW, the thought of having rock skis in Oregon is laughable. Importing ON3Ps or similar is the move. Those 2.5mm edges last a little longer.
    Sure, ON3P are great skis, but I don' think buying a pair is a golden ticket. Most of your Aspen crowd is on Blizzard, Kästle, Volkl, etc. that are not exactly 333 on build quality. If you're accepting of the rock ski reality, it's much easier to get a decent mid-fat one of these for cheap then some clapped out Woodsman around here.

I moved from the PNW to the RFV and I miss the mindset of no rocks to hit and skiing every visible surface. But, Nov-April our day-to-day snow quality is 10x better; still happy here for now.

The workhorse of my resort quiver is a custom ON3P Kartel 108, they have held up great for 3+ seasons. The only downside is how many questions I get about them from strangers on the lift, I should be on the ON3P sales and marketing payroll at this point.

Why would you need sharp edges? Lol.