Page 202 of 224 FirstFirst ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 5588
    Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    Thanks Ottime. I ended up buying those booties I posted above, which are 3mm custom Solites with a split toe, and they were great yesterday except squished my longer 2nd toes and my toes were in total pain at the end of a 13 mile downwind run. Luckily I can customize them myself by heat forming.

Yes, I need gloves, thanks for the recommendation. Do you think those gloves are good for sub-40F temps? I am on call to head down to Hood River and it looks like this Saturday is a go, but I noticed the temp is going to be around 39 - that is much colder than here in Seattle.
    Depends on how warm/cold your fingers run. I typically would not wear any gloves at all until the air temp dips below 45F. I’m using them surfing, so my hands are close to or underneath the water which is typically 52-58F. And more out of the wind. OTOH you will be pumping blood to your handles while you paddle. I would give them a try.

They are five gloves, but are way more dexterous than any surfing glove I have used.

Thick gloves kind of suck IMO. I always will use as little glove as possible.

My hands do run a little on the warm side. Especially when active, such as a session with a lot of paddling

Yesterday was once again a blast at the south hb pier. Shoulder to head high, clean and fun. The current was once again not all that bad. I caught it as the tide was coming up which was fortuitous, I left when it started to slow things down.

The water temps have dropped, but it's not bad, low 60s.

Today was too bumpy, tomorrow will probably be the same. It will be good to get some rain. Hopefully the Sierra get more than the foot they are expecting from this.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I don't think they are expected to get a foot. A light quick rain fell last night locally. The ocean looked like winter tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I don't think they are expected to get a foot. A light quick rain fell last night locally. The ocean looked like winter tho.
    Mammoth Snowman is saying a foot above 7500. We will see. If you guys didn't get much rain up there that is not encouraging.

There were some rain squalls down here today. Everything is blown to shreds, although Malibu looks surfable on the cams.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Shoulder high and clean, but a bit soft, this morning south of the HB pier. The water has changed, I would say high 50's. It was cold for us sissies down here. I was in the water for about an hour and 10 minutes, then shivered on the walk back to the car.

Dammmm I forgot all about this forum... haven't been here in almost a year..
    Spent li more than 4 months in lockdown in Morocco... then chilled in Turkey for 2 in a half months. Now in malta.

. Life is good

Sunset sesh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The annual surf/road trip with some 2020 modifications. Surf check this am, I’m wearing 2 jackets and a beanie, air and water low 50’s. Dude rolls up in trunks, I’m from NorCal and wish I had my 4/3. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3800.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	687.3 KB 
ID:	347839

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Had a couple really nice 5-8'ish days here in N. Oregon the last few weeks. Now we've got our first big winter storm in progress and surfing looks to be shut down for a bit.

Booked a trip to Mexico on Thursday. Cancelled it after West Coast states announced travel advisory yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Got a little spot down in Big Sur with favorable winds right before sunset. Jesus H, what the fuck is going on with the insane crowds in SC?? Everything with a burp or ripple has ten people on it at 1pm on a weekday. This is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Got a little spot down in Big Sur with favorable winds right before sunset. Jesus H, what the fuck is going on with the insane crowds in SC?? Everything with a burp or ripple has ten people on it at 1pm on a weekday. This is insane!
    You can blame me. Both my kids live there now.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Had a couple really nice 5-8'ish days here in N. Oregon the last few weeks. Now we've got our first big winter storm in progress and surfing looks to be shut down for a bit.

Booked a trip to Mexico on Thursday. Cancelled it after West Coast states announced travel advisory yesterday.

Been the same here in Oregon. Most everything else is closed. Bigger swell been keeping the crowds down lately though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You can blame me. Both my kids live there now.
    Classic!

My sister went to UCSC and I went to UCSB. We grew up on the east coast, although I was actually born in Palo Alto. My sister is back east now, but I never left California. I don't think I actually looked at any schools east of the Mississippi.

Truth be told I think a big part of the increase in crowds during mid-day hours has to do with more people being able to work remotely. Until around 5 years ago I was at my desk from around 7 or 715 until around 5. During the summer I would decide between lifting, running steps or getting in an evening session. I would also surf on weekends. This typically led to around 3-4 sessions per week. I could sometimes cut out early on Friday and head down for a Trestles afternoon session. Lots of my buddies were in outside sales, so they were able to get mid-day sessions in. It used to be that most corporate guys could only surf before, or after, work. In the last decade that has really changed. A large percentage of positions are now either fully, or partially, remote. Now you might be sharing the lineup at 11 am with someone who has a white collar job, which was not the case 20 years ago. One of my friends from college is an attorney who lives in Palos Verdes. His law firm is in Beverly Hills. He is able to work from home three days a week, he usually only has to be in the office Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes he has to come in on his off days, or meet with clients, but for the most part MWF he is working from home. This allows him to surf after the before work crowd, which he really likes.

This actually bugs a bunch of my outside sales buddies. They complain about 1030 am crowds in HB and Newport. They used to call me when they knew I was in the office to tell me how good the surf was, knowing I would have to wait until after 5. They were feigning giving me valuable information, i.e. that the surf was good, but in reality they were just rubbing it in.

With more and more positions being fully or partially remote I don't see mid-day crowds getting any lighter. My guess is that Santa Cruz has lots of tech guys who go over the hill to Silicon Valley a couple of days a week and work remotely the rest of the time. I had a buddy who did that at Symantec from Salinas years ago.

The last couple of mornings have been really fun in south HB. Around head high and clean. The rising tide eventually made it a bit slow both days, but it was still fun until a little after 9. The water is now cold by OC standards. Surfline is calling it 57-58. As I drive up, and back, on PCH to HB from Newport I can see the back hoe that is digging out sand in the Santa Ana rivermouth. I have to wonder if this sand project is what is screwing up so many of the sand bars in West Newport. I almost don't even bother checking Newport anymore, I just go straight to HB.

Been in Cardiff all week, fun size surf with great weather, scored a premium site at San Elijo SB. Finally pulled out today to beat the weekend crowds.

After some debate, decided to head into Baja tomorrow. We'll be camping on the beach with our pod. Swell looks favorable and I'm expecting pretty quiet conditions with the Canadians all stuck at home Although the 1000 is running...Won't have service for the next 10 days. This is the pic from my last morning there last year same time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birds.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	714.9 KB 
ID:	348837

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Classic!

My sister went to UCSC and I went to UCSB. We grew up on the east coast, although I was actually born in Palo Alto. My sister is back east now, but I never left California. I don't think I actually looked at any schools east of the Mississippi.

Truth be told I think a big part of the increase in crowds during mid-day hours has to do with more people being able to work remotely. Until around 5 years ago I was at my desk from around 7 or 715 until around 5. During the summer I would decide between lifting, running steps or getting in an evening session. I would also surf on weekends. This typically led to around 3-4 sessions per week. I could sometimes cut out early on Friday and head down for a Trestles afternoon session. Lots of my buddies were in outside sales, so they were able to get mid-day sessions in. It used to be that most corporate guys could only surf before, or after, work. In the last decade that has really changed. A large percentage of positions are now either fully, or partially, remote. Now you might be sharing the lineup at 11 am with someone who has a white collar job, which was not the case 20 years ago. One of my friends from college is an attorney who lives in Palos Verdes. His law firm is in Beverly Hills. He is able to work from home three days a week, he usually only has to be in the office Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes he has to come in on his off days, or meet with clients, but for the most part MWF he is working from home. This allows him to surf after the before work crowd, which he really likes.

This actually bugs a bunch of my outside sales buddies. They complain about 1030 am crowds in HB and Newport. They used to call me when they knew I was in the office to tell me how good the surf was, knowing I would have to wait until after 5. They were feigning giving me valuable information, i.e. that the surf was good, but in reality they were just rubbing it in.

With more and more positions being fully or partially remote I don't see mid-day crowds getting any lighter. My guess is that Santa Cruz has lots of tech guys who go over the hill to Silicon Valley a couple of days a week and work remotely the rest of the time. I had a buddy who did that at Symantec from Salinas years ago.
    The 10:30 am crowds around are mostly either retired or meth heads. Tech guys still are tied to the desk most of the day and get in/out pretty early. Off duty firemen tend to surf all day. Scientist depending on when they need to teach. My buddy who is an anthropologist prof now pre rapes his lectures and sets his off hours when the tide will be too full for his liking. It is those guys clogging it up these days.

The 10:30 am crowds around are mostly either retired or meth heads. Tech guys still are tied to the desk most of the day and get in/out pretty early. Off duty firemen tend to surf all day. Scientist depending on when they need to teach. My buddy who is an anthropologist prof now pre rapes his lectures and sets his off hours when the tide will be too full for his liking. It is those guys clogging it up these days.
    That's interesting.

In Orange County the 1030 guys are pretty much all over the map. One used to be able to make generalizations, now not so much.

That's interesting.

In Orange County the 1030 guys are pretty much all over the map. One used to be able to make generalizations, now not so much.

Thick gloves kind of suck IMO. I always will use as little glove as possible.
    Agreed. I ended up buying O'Neill psycho tech 1.5mm gloves and they work beautifully. Lots of good wind up here for those who like to surf constant waves.
    bc-lovah

Waimea Bay webcam firing today. Maybe the Eddie would have gone it it wasn’t cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Waimea Bay webcam firing today. Maybe the Eddie would have gone it it wasn’t cancelled.
    That was nuts.

Today it was Lincoln City Oregon at 15-20. It looked like some tow teams were on it.

Mavericks may be firing also?

Anyone else get some today...?

Crowd out at Mavs today. Don’t pay for the website so don’t watch. Didn’t see any breakers in the free 20 seconds it gave me. Nice clean swell.

Able to get back on the bike for mellow rides so peddled up to 3 and 4 mile, two points just about 3 and 4 miles west of town.

Nice clean overhead swells. Watch a bomb set come into 4. That place, imho does not really handle plus sized swell all that well. Set lasted for 5 plus minutes. Biggest waves, by far, were about waves 3-5 and 8-10. DOH plus but they shifted so far outside of even the guys sitting at the “peak” they were competent missed. Waves got ridden for sure, but the best seemed the mid sized ones breaking across the reef. Waves looked good but you had to be a wizard to score waves and not get drilled by others.

3 works better with plus sized, again imho. While point was not going all the way through the outside how a wave that was easy enough to exit. But middle section through the corner was lining up nice race track style in the 2-3’ OH range and then wrapping at that height all the way into the cove.

All viewed atop the cliffs so waves may have been bigger.

Super clean swell. I imagine the tide was too low for Scotts to be epic last night but Mavs sometimes gets interesting then.

Imagine it is pretty fun at Scotts right now with the big crowd heading up to Mavs. My favorite time of year to hit Scotts are the early big clean days when most want to score their Mav wave and the crowd drops to 4 at Scotts.

Little bummed out I’m gonna miss this season completely but it was fun to watch the surf. Might make an effort to shot some pics this winter. Especially seeing I can bike to a bunch of different breaks.

Buddy just sent me this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIY4qqngyry/

Last pic says it all. haha

Here's some less gnarly, but super fun surf from 2 Fridays ago here in Oregon.

OB can break boards.